PDA

View Full Version : SCSI-TV and a SCSI modual for the A570 -any intrest?

quarkx
9th August 2009, 18:32
I have worked out a deal with Amitrix to bring back a limited amount of SCSI-TV boards back to the community if there is a demand.
From the old Amitrix web Page:
Amitrix Development is proud to introduce SCSI-TV, a SCSI controller for the Commodore CDTV and A570 CD-ROM drive for the Amiga 500. This versatile interface allows the CDTV to connect to virtually any SCSI device.

SCSI-TV installs easily in the expansion port accessible at the rear of the CDTV or A570, without opening the case. A 2.5 inch Quantum GO drive may be mounted on the SCSI-TV circuit board and an external connector can connect to hard drives, scanners, and tape backups, to a total of seven devices.

SCSI-TV supports the Amiga AUTOCONFIG(TM) standard, providing autobooting capability with Rigid Disk Block support, as well as the SCSI-direct protocol allowing many backup programs to use SCSI tape drives. True DMA allows for fast data transfer rates and low CPU overhead. Full technical support is available to purchasers directly from Amitrix.

Each SCSI-TV comes complete with licensed versions of Commodore's HDToolBox and Workbench(TM) version 1.3. A provided adapter kit mounts and provides power for a 2.5 inch drive on the SCSI-TV circuit board.

Each SCSI-TV will be about $35- $40 (depending on parts, as there are a few PCB boards still around) USD plus shipping. We have one in stock now, and if the demand is there, we (Amitrix) can, and are willing to make more. PM or e-mail me for more information.
Both Amitrix and myself plan to bring some new hardware to the Community in the next year or so, depending of course on the PCB process. It is very exciting partnering with a hardware maker, and the Ideas are floading back and forth. We were dicusing yesterday the posibility of converting the SCSI-TV to IDE and putting in a compact flash drive. That is possible, but there are hang ups in software developent on that.

rkauer
9th August 2009, 19:49
Very interesting, indeed. Too bad I don't own a CDTV.

Did you announce the device on CDTV.org?

Zetr0
10th August 2009, 02:42
@quarkx

just for clarification,

do you mean one of these little babies my friend

http://amiga.resource.cx/photos/photos/cdtv2scsi.jpg
http://www.amiga-hardware.com/display_photos/scsitv.gif

I think you will make a lot of CDTV and A570 owners REALLY pleased with your efforts!

a major NICE ONE :thumbsup:

T_Hairy_Bootson
10th August 2009, 03:59
I would definitely want one for my CDTV, if it helps get the numbers up I would buy two at the price you have quoted above. :bowdown:

quarkx
10th August 2009, 07:10
Yes, I believe those are the ones, Amitrix pictures are down, And I wont see mine in my hand until next week, as Craig (Amitrix's owner {and president of Amicue BTW} is off on holidays for a week or so, but he wanted me to get a list together, so he can gear up for demand (if any, and it sounds like there is a bunch). I am trying to breath a bit of life back into Amitrix and Amicue at the moment.

chain
10th August 2009, 07:14
i will want one scsi-tv too :thumbsup:

quarkx
10th August 2009, 07:26
I ask that interested e-mail me their names and e-mail via the blog (amiga{AT}amigalounge.com so I can present a proper list to Craig.
Please and thanks.

quarkx
10th August 2009, 20:39
Very interesting, indeed. Too bad I don't own a CDTV.

Did you announce the device on CDTV.org?

No, what is the URL? because www.cdtv.org (http://www.cdtv.org) is expired.

Everyone, fell free to pass it on to other amiga sites.
:grouphug:

rkauer
10th August 2009, 21:04
http://www.cdtv.org.uk/

quarkx
10th August 2009, 21:48
Thanks a bunch, Oliver has been advised.
:thanks:

woodycool
26th August 2009, 14:32
I definitely would be interested in one of these.
It'd make my CDTV a bit more useful ;)

RedDaemonFox
27th August 2009, 03:33
That looks cool, but of course I have no CDTV. BTW quark, are the prices on your site in canadian or american $'s?

quarkx
27th August 2009, 17:25
That looks cool, but of course I have no CDTV. BTW quark, are the prices on your site in canadian or american $'s?
American, just to keep thing simple.
if I put it all in Canadian, nobody would buy because of the exchange rate $250 canadian is like $3 US. :jester:

BTW, Amitrix and myself are designing some way cool hardware coming soon. I probably shouldn't be saying things yet, But as some of you know I got a boxed A1000 in a few weeks ago. Craig and I sat down and looked at that 68k IDE board, and are re-designing it exclusively for the A1000 with a few "extra" features (I want a Compact Flash Hard drive). The end result will fit into all 68K machines, but we wanted a few things on it, and we didn't want to mod the A1000 case in any way (unless you wanted to ad a CD Rom Drive). One of the features will be a ROM switcher, but not like what is out there. There is a certain number (small number) of software Craig uses that only will run on Ver.1.1, so we want to be able to switch to KS.1.1, 1.2, 1.3 on boot with it. Were are not implimenting Ram in it at this time (too my disapointment).
This will all be done after Amitrix completes the dozen or so SCSI-CDTV moduals that were ordered.

RedDaemonFox
27th August 2009, 20:21
Sounds good, I was thinking of getting an A1000, and if this IDE pulls through, then I'll buy one. things like this keep the community alive... and of course individual computers too (although what they sell costs a bundle)

quarkx
27th August 2009, 23:59
I agree, I would love to order at least 4 to 6 of those new indvision ECS boards, but at a Pre-order price of $140 each from Amigakit, it looks like I will not be ordering that much, maybe just one now.

RedDaemonFox
28th August 2009, 03:15
yeah, those are good, but teh buddha IDE be good 2

quarkx
28th August 2009, 07:14
Actually, I had nothing but bad experiences and problems with my Budda card. It slowed the boot time down to over 3 minutes on my A2000 and I only had a CD Rom drive on it. I got rid of it ASAP. But that is just one opinion. Many people are totaly pleased with thier budda's. I, for 1, would never recomend it after using it.

RedDaemonFox
28th August 2009, 17:40
The other issue is the FF/SD's are very expensive.

chain
1st September 2009, 14:53
I ask that interested e-mail me their names and e-mail via the blog (amiga{AT}amigalounge.com so I can present a proper list to Craig.
Please and thanks.

<amiga{AT}amigalounge.com>: host scantek.ca[207.167.2.226] refused to talk to me:
554 BLOCKED

:blink:

quarkx
6th November 2009, 21:36
OK , its been a while, but I thought I would update with what little info I have:
First, Craig and Amitrix have enough boards to fill everyone request who made one, but, because of his other work and life, he has not got around to assembling them yet. (Had to clean out his work area-LOL) the only part, we have yet to track down is the SCSI chip itself, He probably has enough, but hasn't come across his stash yet.
Thats all I know today, I will see him maybe tomorrow, but the next AMICUE meeting is on Thursday. Hopefully we will see some finished product shipped before Christmas.

Muzer
3rd December 2009, 21:39
I'm interested in one of these, albeit not for a few months.

quarkx
3rd December 2009, 21:57
Well, it looks like early 2010 for them to be completed, Amitrix is going through some big changes right now. We have at least 2 dozen to assemble right now. They are here in stock, but not assembled. Looks like the Christmas holiday will be assembly time.

chain
4th December 2009, 10:25
maybe its offtopic question, but did anyone tried it with acard scsi-ide+CF ?
(thats what im planning to do with it, if i will get one, as i hope)

chiark
12th January 2010, 18:11
I would definitely want one of these... Any news? :D

Chain, I think Toni of WinUAE uses just that :D

quarkx
13th January 2010, 05:19
Not much,
Craig has all the parts in , but just no time at the moment for assembly and testing.Our monthly AMICUE meeting is this Thursday, so I will see/bug him more then. Remember, this is not his main job, so life gets in the way sometimes ;)
I am on his case about it though.
You might want to start e-mailing him through the Amitrix website. The more people e-mailing him, the faster he might go.
-Glen

radfoo
13th January 2010, 22:33
Cool, are there any un-allocated? I'd be interested in one of these when they are ready.

xcolomina
19th January 2010, 00:16
would also be delighted to buy one of these for my CDTV unit!

quarkx
19th January 2010, 01:48
Like I stated before, the more people that e-mail him through the Amitrix website, the faster it will get done. I can bug him until I am blue in the face, but if he starts getting more and more e-mails instead of JUST me, it will light a fire under him. If you cant wait and want it in kit form, ask him also. I am a middle man here.

chain
19th January 2010, 09:46
as i already said, my email always bounces back :thumbsdown:

chiark
19th January 2010, 17:29
Have you tried emailing the owner's personal email address? (from Amitrix's about page, then onto Craig's pages...)

I haven't had a reply, but I haven't had a bounce either :D

quarkx
20th January 2010, 10:08
Remember, most e-mail gets bounced because (not your's personaly Chain, but in general) your e-mail server is or may be on a "Black list" due to a high amount of spam or attacks or such. It happens a lot these days. The best practice is to have a few e-mail address from different locations (Gmail, hotmail) etc. Chances are if you are getting bounced, its because your ISP is on the "Blacklist" or black hole list.
Besides my "amigalounge" email, I use hotmail, and I also have a Gmail account (which I never use) and a "Shaw" account (my ISP). The best way to get a hold of me is through hotmail, it is the e-mail I always check and use.

Also, Craig only checks his e-mail every few days, and don't be surprised if he doesn't reply right away. He is just swamped these days.

chiark
21st January 2010, 15:31
I got a reply... It's worth pestering him :D

chiark
9th February 2010, 12:18
Maybe in a couple of weeks :)

Keep up the conversations, folks ;)

chain
9th February 2010, 13:42
j have four mailboxes, from all of them it bounces back :(
can anybody write to him that there is also interrest beyon his strict isp?

chiark
9th February 2010, 16:31
Chain, what email address are you sending to? I'm using my own domain name email and sending to a shaw.ca address without problems...

quarkx
9th February 2010, 18:18
Chain, Are you e-mailing me, or Craig at Amitrix. Remember your best bet is to e-mail Craig directly.

Kyle
9th February 2010, 20:17
I'm interested in one of these for my CDTV too, can you give me the e-mail address of Craig? ;)

Edit: I sent an e-mail by the sales address of Amitix site... is it the correct address? I declared my interest in purchase one card for my CDTV.

quarkx
9th February 2010, 21:10
I'm interested in one of these for my CDTV too, can you give me the e-mail address of Craig? ;)

Edit: I sent an e-mail by the sales address of Amitix site... is it the correct address? I declared my interest in purchase one card for my CDTV.
the address is below:Craig at Amitrix (.com)
-Glen

Kyle
9th February 2010, 21:55

chain
17th February 2010, 14:07
Chain, Are you e-mailing me, or Craig at Amitrix. Remember your best bet is to e-mail Craig directly.

trying to mail craig directly, from my own domain, from gmail etc :thumbsdown:

alexh
21st May 2011, 12:45
Anything ever come of this? I'd still like one. I'd take it unassembled if someone had the bits.

z3spacial
26th May 2011, 15:24
Anything ever come of this? I'd still like one. I'd take it unassembled if someone had the bits.

..... and me

quarkx
23rd August 2011, 04:33
Craig from Amitrix is in the process of moving right now, and has found most of the remaining SCSI CDTV parts and boards. He (promises) he will be testing these out and completing what he has. He also has stated he still has the list of everyone that requested one.He is the only real "employee" left at Amitrix, his hardware guy left long ago, and he apologizes for not having the time to get off his butt and actually do the remaining work on these boards. I have been on his case lately, because I really want one also.

Life and work has the bad habit of getting in the way of things. I want to start work on an IDE/cf controller with him for the Amiga 1000, but that looks like years away

alexh
23rd August 2011, 09:48
I want to start work on an IDE/cf controller with him for the Amiga 1000, but that looks like years away
Can't you just use an IDE68k?

http://www.students.tut.fi/~leinone3/ide/ide68k.html

quarkx
23rd August 2011, 12:19
I want to start work on an IDE/cf controller with him for the Amiga 1000, but that looks like years away
Can't you just use an IDE68k?

http://www.students.tut.fi/~leinone3/ide/ide68k.html

Craig's design (so far) has 2 IDE channels on it and will cost about half as much, we are also designing it to fit in both the A1000 and CDTV. He wants to incorporate some other features in it though.
We are also trying to design a Down and Dirty CF card adapter for the CDTV- Nothing at all fancy. Just a small board with only a CF card, and possibly an on/off switch that directly plugs into the expansion slot (not really a "proper" IDE card- but just enough logic on it to run a CF card or an SD Card/drive). A possible second revision of this would have a ribbon cable with a second CF card drive, that could be mounted up front where the old propitiatory card reader is, but these are just "paper" designs right now, as we only get a couple hours on Saturday to go over things.

pascal_sweden
2nd October 2011, 21:11
Is there any update on the development of these SCSI boards for CDTV?

quarkx
2nd October 2011, 21:24
Your Best and ONLY bet, is to contact Craig at Amitrix.
He has been busy moving the last few weeks, so he might not respond right away (I helped him set up the electronics bench last night). He has a found all the parts and such, just waiting final assembly and testing. If all goes right, we should see a new batch before Christmas, but again, e-mail and pester Craig directly. I can only do so much from this end, as I want one also. But I am just one voice, if he gets flooded with e-mail, he will get them done sooner.

stu2000
11th December 2011, 18:38
would be interested i one of these also,

do you have an email addy to hand?

quarkx
11th December 2011, 19:46
the address is below:
Craig at Amitrix (.com)

Craig is still in the middle of moving, so don't be surprised if he doesn't respond right away. He didn't even show up for the AMICUE monthly meeting this last week and he's the President!:whistle:

stu2000
27th December 2011, 23:19
Hi Guys,

I Got a reply from Craig, hopefully he will be able to look in to this in late January onwards.

Email copied below (hope this is OK).

Hello Stuart, I still getting my new house set up, and hope to get some more built up soon, most likely in January. This has been a very busy year. Keep in touch to remind me. thanks for your interest.

Will contact Craig latter part of January again.

cheers,

Stuart

Zetr0
28th December 2011, 00:14
Sweet news indeed!

Adve
19th January 2012, 12:38
Maybe It would be better to send complete list of potential buyers instead of torpeding him by ~100000 mails form ~100 people? :D

stu2000
25th January 2012, 09:37
Hi All,

I got a email back from craig today.
He actually does want individual members interested to email him so he can ascertain how much demand is there.

The address I contacted him on is below:-

craig-amitrix@shaw.ca

He is still unpacking and organising his new house so will be a week or two yet before he is set up.

Hope this helps folks.

woodycool
18th May 2012, 14:52
I know this is an old (ish) thread, but do you reckon there's still chance of getting hold of a SCSI-TV/A570 now?

quarkx
18th May 2012, 15:50
We are looking at a June-Julyish time frame, I will be helping to assemble and test units.The problem is time people. Craig has the parts etc, it's just a mater of co-ordinating a schedule of actually working on these. Because, I keep bugging him about it, he wants me involved so we can get the drive to get it done.
What I don't know is the actual number of complete units we will have and if they are all spoken for.
My suggestion, as always, is to e-mail Craig and put your name on a waiting list.

DutchinUSA
18th May 2012, 22:06
Done :D

woodycool
19th May 2012, 20:48
Email sent.

BlindGerMan
30th May 2012, 23:37
Interested in one, Email sent! :)

Buzzfuzz
1st December 2012, 15:37
Just to ask, are these still being made ?

quarkx
1st December 2012, 17:43
Craig has a bunch of unfinished units, That I believe have all been spoken for (but you can e-mail him). The problem is time. Craig just simply doesn't have very much time to get these done and tested. I know he has joined Amibay here, but has not posted anything yet.
I also know that as the design sits, some parts are no longer made and he would have to re-design the whole thing if a "New" production run were to be made- which he can do, but again time.
I may see him this afternoon, if he comes out for Coffee with the Amicue members, so I will see what is up

limboy777
9th December 2012, 11:29
Craig has a bunch of unfinished units, That I believe have all been spoken for (but you can e-mail him). The problem is time. Craig just simply doesn't have very much time to get these done and tested. I know he has joined Amibay here, but has not posted anything yet.
I also know that as the design sits, some parts are no longer made and he would have to re-design the whole thing if a "New" production run were to be made- which he can do, but again time.
I may see him this afternoon, if he comes out for Coffee with the Amicue members, so I will see what is up

Has anyone got one of these yet?

DutchinUSA
9th December 2012, 17:33
Not I ! I expressed interest back in May/June or so, no money was involved or anything so if he ends up making them .. great, if he doesn't .. oh well :)

simon_m74
31st March 2013, 17:57
Hi

I could do with one of these!!

are they still available?

I have a CDTV and a A570 :)

please PM me if they are.

Thanks

Simon

alexh
1st April 2013, 14:17
AFAIK they never made them.

Zetr0
1st April 2013, 16:37
are there any schematics for these - if so I maybe able to help.

limboy777
29th April 2013, 21:40
are there any schematics for these - if so I maybe able to help.

Im bumping this as Ive just bought another CDTV to mod. If anyone has the schematics, can they provide this to ZETRO?:)

chiark
29th May 2013, 23:47
I don't have schematics, but I do have a board and it does look deceptively straightforward. I'll have a closer look...

Zetr0
30th May 2013, 00:05
Sadly the project is not Open-Source, while the PCB is very rudimentary, there sits a nice CPLD (GAL) for handling that requires some code.

I would love to redevelop this into a much smaller unit or to be honest - bang together a small group-buy'n build - as I need three of these units.

DutchinUSA
30th May 2013, 00:10
Did you try emailing Craig directly Zetr0? His email is in post #53 of this thread I think :)