PDA

View Full Version : Closed modded sega saturn

sb1987
29th April 2012, 18:17
( as in modded i mine in modchip so can play backs ups) any 1 have 1 they would like to sell ? many thanks shaun

RedDaemonFox
1st May 2012, 20:03
I do know consolegoods.co.uk carries modchips and sometimes saturns.

sb1987
1st May 2012, 21:26
may get a mod chip and try and have a go my self :)

alexh
1st May 2012, 23:13
Because selling modchips is illegal in the UK, Console goods had to remove them from their website or loose their ability to accept PayPal transactions. They still have them but they can't sell them on their site direct.

Depending on the model of your saturn they are very easy to fit. Even chipped Saturns do not play discs outside their region. You either need a Action Replay 4M plus cartridge or a region free BIOS or a switch.

sb1987
1st May 2012, 23:17
i have emailed them the guy said he will just send me a paypal invoice for the payment so hopefully all goes good :)

going to see if i can find a cheap saturn on the other bay :)

got a action replay 4m plus the other month

alexh
1st May 2012, 23:21
As a "rule of thumb" you need a saturn with round buttons. 99% of oval button saturns will not take 21-pin modchips.

sb1987
1st May 2012, 23:37
ok thanks for the help :thumbsup:

DBloke
7th May 2012, 22:18
So how easy is it to fit one?
I wont be, but ill get someone that knows how to use a soldering iron

Sardine
7th May 2012, 23:20
I'm rubbish at soldering, the mod chip i got needed no soldering at all.

it plugged in between a ribbon cable and a small wire was clipped to another plug to get power.

took me longer to remove the screws than fit the chip.

mine is a round button sega saturn

Simon_G
7th May 2012, 23:31
Assuming its a SSIC8B it is by far the easiest modchip to install that I have ever come across. The chip plugs into the motherboard where the drive ribbon cable would go, the drive ribbon cable plugs into the slot on the modchip. You either bridge two points on the chip and run a lead to 5v, or run a lead to 5V and another to one of the pins on the drive controller chip. Either one lead coming from the modchip or 2, your choice really.

My install on a 32pin drive (model 2) only needed two solder points (one to bridge A&B on the chip the other to solder a length of Kynar to the modchip the other end of which piggybacks the drive power lead through the second hole in the plug).

DBloke
8th May 2012, 04:49
I'm rubbish at soldering, the mod chip i got needed no soldering at all.

it plugged in between a ribbon cable and a small wire was clipped to another plug to get power.

took me longer to remove the screws than fit the chip.

mine is a round button sega saturn

Link me up please