PDA

View Full Version : Found CDTV-CR (aka CDTV II)

sunmax
7th May 2012, 23:33
Wanted dead or alive! Doesn't matter the condition, I can probably fix it ;-)

alexh
8th May 2012, 08:25
Only person I know has one is Oliver Hannaford-Day. The former owner of CDTV.ORG.UK (now dead)

http://web.archive.org/web/20101018144339/http://cdtv.org.uk/index.html

quarkx
8th May 2012, 08:31
@alexh are you saying the site is dead or that Oliver past away or both? or did he just get board of the site?Also, one of the members here got one from Carl himself at Ami-west 2010 I believe there is a thread in the photobooth

It was/is illy5603. but I think I read his thread at EAB, because I can't find it here.

alexh
8th May 2012, 09:21
@alexh are you saying the site is dead or that Oliver past away or both?
The site is dead. (Hence the Way-back link)

Also, one of the members here got one from Carl himself at Ami-west 2010 I believe there is a thread in the photobooth
Could be. His nick was Oli-HD though.

sunmax
9th May 2012, 07:22
Hi guys,

thanks for all the hints and feedback. Amibay really rocks!

Yes, IIRC there were only 6 complete CDTV-CR (but I'm glad to stand corrected!) and just few more mobos.

Only 3 are known to work: Oliver's, Carl's (now Illy's) plus one sold on eBay in Dec 2008 (can't recall the buyer).

So there should be 3 more on the planet, hidden in some treasure chest, in undetermined working condition.

I don't think Oli or Illy will ever consider separating from their precious, and they probably already get tons of requests, so might look impolite to keep hammering there.

The chase goes on ;-)

Thanks,
-max

JerryH
10th July 2014, 00:07
I am one of the people who worked on the CDTV-CR (wrote all the embedded software). Somebody contacted me asking if I had one. I do, but decided to do some research to try and figure out what the thing is worth when I stumbled across your post. I believe there were probably less than a dozen made (and assembled) probably a few more in parts were created but I recall seeing them in a pile and I'm betting they were thrown out. I think I only saw maybe 6 in existence. Mine actually works!

If you're still interested let me know (I see that your post was in 2012).

Thanks,

Jerry

sunmax
10th July 2014, 01:03
Definitely still interested. PM sent ;-)

JerryH
10th July 2014, 15:33
Funny, I can't reply to your private message until I have at least two posts. This will be my second, so I hope it works afterwards.

jack-3d
10th July 2014, 16:09
Guys PLEASE make a hi-res photos then ;o)

Countraven
10th July 2014, 21:05
And a video of it, working would be great, there is not such thing online.

JerryH
11th July 2014, 16:24
I posted pictures & a video -- awaiting moderator approval before post is visible.

TorajaBoy
13th July 2014, 10:23
Huge interested PM on its way

Hope that you can repply to my PM

Tajmaster
13th July 2014, 11:05
Huge interested PM on its way

Hope that you can repply to my PM

This is Sunmaxs Wanted thread, you can't declare interest for yourself. Please start your own Wanted thread.

TorajaBoy
14th July 2014, 13:40
OK Tajmaster. I forget that I was in the wanted section because I usually go to sale section.

I will open so an other wanted thread so.

Regards

Kyle
14th July 2014, 13:45
But where are pics and video?

JerryH
14th July 2014, 14:30
I don't know why they haven't been approved yet. I guess I'll have to try again.

- - - Updated - - -

For full disclosure, obviously this will be sold as-is, and here are some things you should know about this CDTV-CR.

This is probably one of the rarest consumer electronics products in history let alone computer products or even Commodore products. From what I can remember there were only a handful of these made -- maybe 6 or so, but I can't say for sure. I was surprised to hear that Carl Sassenrath actually had one of these (apparently sold years ago) because he was involved in the original CDTV project and had very little involvement in the CDTV-CR project. The fact that he had one is the only reason that might lead me to believe there may be a couple more units than I thought than the 3 or so units I witnessed to exist.

I was hired by C= from ICD (not sure if anyone remembers that company -- made Atari/Amiga/Mac peripherals) specifically for the CDTV-CR project. Hedley Davis was the hardware engineer that designed the CDTV-CR hardware (very talented), and I was the software engineer. I wrote the embedded software for the 4510 controller that controls, among other things, the IR receiver, vacuum florescent display, front panel buttons, and the communication bridge between the A600 and the Chinon CD-ROM drive that was custom developed by Chinon for this product. I don't know if Chinon actually got paid for their efforts before C= went bankrupt.

The device I have was used by me to help develop the software. As a result, the screws are missing that hold the cover in place (5 screws total). Other than this, there are two issues this unit has: 1) When the device is plugged in cold, I believe the watchdog timer in the 4510 keeps resetting until the unit warms up a bit. It does this for about 30 seconds and then the unit stabilizes. If you leave it plugged in this condition doesn't repeat. That issue is not particularly inconvenient. 2) The CD tray wants to close immediately after you open it. It did not used to do that and I don't know why it now does, but if you press the eject button as soon as the tray tries to close again the tray will reverse and you can keep it open as long as you keep hitting the eject button.

Other than those two issues, the device works well as you can see in the video.

My plan was to auction this off on ebay, but I do want to make sure this goes to a good home -- preferably in some sort of museum. Feel free to send me a PM for those who are interested while I try and figure out the best way to proceed.

Here is the video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t941rrcqmhrp8wr/2014-07-11%2013.30.40.mp4

Please feel free to distribute the above video. This is currently in my dropbox and at some point I will remove this link.

Arnie
14th July 2014, 22:07
Very interesting, thanks for that. Could we have some pics with the lid off?

jack-3d
14th July 2014, 22:26
:thanks:

JerryH
14th July 2014, 23:53
Sure.

Very interesting, thanks for that. Could we have some pics with the lid off?

Marmes
15th July 2014, 01:17
There is this small video in youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AusqPXWOgwo

TorajaBoy
15th July 2014, 01:34
@Jerry

Thanks for these wonderfull pictures and video. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

You 've got a PM :)

ChrisUnionNJ
15th July 2014, 05:14
@Jerry

Thanks for these wonderfull pictures and video. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

You 've got a PM :)

Ok I see no reason for posting he has a pm when this
is someone else s wanted thread..

We all now your hot to get this but sunmax is the only
in this thread that will get it..

So please start your own wanted thread..

Amibay Staff

TorajaBoy
15th July 2014, 09:10
Sorry I will move to my own thread so

BlindGerMan
15th July 2014, 10:18
@JerryH

Very nice pix and a impressive Video! Is it possible to publish These pics e.g. on Amiga.Resource.cx? Perhaps you can make some hires pics for this encyclopedia! :)

JerryH
15th July 2014, 16:27
Feel free to publish any photos/videos I've posted wherever you'd like -- no problem.

BlindGerMan
15th July 2014, 16:30
Thank you very much!

Is it possible to download the Video? I get only a small htm file when doing "save target as"...

ptyerman
15th July 2014, 17:22
I'm downloading the video now. :thumbsup2:

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you very much!

Is it possible to download the Video? I get only a small htm file when doing "save target as"...

Hi mate. If you click the link to view it online, there is a download button at the top right of the screen. :thumbsup:

BlindGerMan
15th July 2014, 17:33
I really must be blind! ;)

Thank you mate! :)

JerryH
15th July 2014, 21:39
I forgot one really important picture!

JerryH
16th July 2014, 15:34
I should point out that I have no CDTV remotes for this. But the original CDTV remotes work fine, and I assume not too hard to find (?) If you already have the original CDTV you should be good.

iRetrOVolver
16th July 2014, 16:18
Remotes are indeed easy to find.. seen plenty of them recently :roll:

JerryH
17th July 2014, 16:23
For historical purposes, here's a keyboard cable (hand made) to attach a keyboard to the CDTV-CR. It really is an A600.

- - - Updated - - -

Sold for an undisclosed amount to sunmax.

bigwink
28th April 2018, 20:45
Are you still wanting a cdtv-II? I I'm currently selling a working system

- - - Updated - - -

I also have a working unit pics and visions of it