AmiBayer
Blogger
Rating - 100%
139   0   0
Country
Uk
Region
Lancashire
HI I have the cyrix 486 DRX2 50 upgrade chip on my 386 PC. In order to acitivate the 1k cache, some software is loaded before it goes into DOS.

I have the software installed on my hard drive but I am looking to install a bigger hard drive and require the disks/software.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
if it's anything like my 486slc2 upgrade then all you need is to save the software's directory and write down the loading command from autoexec.bat , it will work just fine in case you don't find the driver disk

if it's anything like my 486slc2 upgrade then all you need is to save the software's directory and write down the loading command from autoexec.bat , it will work just fine in case you don't find the driver disk

Yasu

Can you help me with clear instructions on how to do this? I would be grateful for your help on this. I am not familiar with DOS or windows 3.1 but learning:D

Thank you in advance

Yasu back! :D

well, open your C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT file with a text editor and look at the commands inside, one must be responsible for loading your existing driver. Write it down exactly and see what directory the cyrix stuff is. Save the directory on a disk (or two in case something goes wrong).
The do your HDD replacement, install DOS , copy back the cyrix directory and add the command line to your new AUTOEXEC.BAT , reboot and you have your driver loaded again!
If you are still having troubles then post your autoxec.bat here so I can give you specific instructions :)

Cheers Mate

I will look into this tonight and get back to you. Thank you for getting back to me.

Yasu back! :D

well, open your C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT file with a text editor and look at the commands inside, one must be responsible for loading your existing driver. Write it down exactly and see what directory the cyrix stuff is. Save the directory on a disk (or two in case something goes wrong).
The do your HDD replacement, install DOS , copy back the cyrix directory and add the command line to your new AUTOEXEC.BAT , reboot and you have your driver loaded again!
If you are still having troubles then post your autoxec.bat here so I can give you specific instructions :)

Right, I usually like finding out and trying things myself but DOS and Windows 3.1 arent doing it for me!

Ive managed to locate some cyrix software by going through windows 3.1 file manager and there is a folder with cyrix software however my understanding is that the software is loaded prior to windows loading. So I am assumming I need both the software that Ive found in file manager and the actual software that it loaded before DOS.

However I dont know how to open the autoexec.bat file with a text editor? Can you help me step by step as I dont want to lose this software and the crappy 40mb hard drive is crippled and a bigger Hdd is on its way!

I looked on youtube and also went to the library for a windows 3.1/DOS for dummies books and such like but the oldest they have is windows 2000 guides!

I have ordered a usb to ide cable so I can connect the hard drive to my laptop - would this be easier?

Thanks once again.

P.S is the cyrix srx not just the same as the drx?

first of all limboy777, it would be better to save the software already in your system than test with the srx one... it might be the same or not, it's not really something you want to test LOL

Now to autoexec.bat: it's a plain text file actually! there are several ways to open it and have a look:

a. using window's SYSEDIT application: Start a new task and type SYSEDIT on the run command line... the app will launch and you just need to pick the autoexec window and have a look

b. open a command prompt (or do the same in pure DOS) and type: EDIT C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT , the dos editor will launch and open the file

Now all you need to do is locate the cyrix command (should be obvious) and write it down... then save the complete cyrix directory on a floppy disk.
Remove the old drive (don't erase it yet since you might need it if something goes wrong) and install the new one. Then install DOS. Copy back the cyrix directory into C:\ and type edit c:\autoexec.bat and add at the top of the file (usually under the "echo off" line) the cyrix command you wrote down. Reboot and if all is correct then you will have the cpu drivers loaded :)

Thanks Mate

Will try this and will let you know how I get on. I may take screenshots to show you what Ive done just in case I cant do it!

---------- Post added at 09:27 ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 ----------

Your a genius mate!

Got into the following and I can see the cache file (see attached photo)

C:\CACHE\CX486.EXE Q C:CACHE\CX486.CFG
C:\CACHE\FASTIO.EXE

assumming that I just need to copy these two files to a floppy using a copy command (can you tell me what I need to type - Im not used to using DOS at all!)

Once Ive done that, do I need the files that I can see in file manager (see attached photo). I assumme I can just copy and paste into the C drive on the new drive?(y)

---------- Post added at 09:28 ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 ----------

pictures

---------- Post added at 09:35 ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 ----------

Cant upload pics here so attached photbucket ones;

http://s1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj587/limboy777/Amstrad Mega PC/486 Cache/

Worked out what I need to copy!

If I copy the whole autoexec.bat, would that include the cyrix drivers

copy autoexec.bat a:\

or should i just copy the cyrix ones only?

once copied to a:\

reading the above i just copy A:\ to C:\ on the new drive then edit the autoexec.bat ?

allright!

I'm gonna give you some dos commands that are easier to explain :)

asumming you are on a dos prompt:

copy c:\autoexec.bat a:\ (this coppies autoexec.bat to A: )
md a:\cache (this created the directory cache on A: )
copy c:\cache\*.* a:\cache (copies over files)

once you install your new OS , type those commands:

md c:\cache (creates directory on c: )
copy a:\cache\*.* c:\cache (copies over files from floppy to c: )
copy a:\autoexec.bat c:\ (press Y on overwrite prompt)

I would normally suggest you add the two cyrix lines manually to your new autoexec.bat but I see that it's a pretty simple and standard one , so you can get away with replacing :)

I am sure you'll do just fine now (y):)

edit: wow I just saw you have the pics on the /MEGAPC/ folder... awesome machine! Got one from eBay 5+ years ago but it had serious battery acid damage...

Dudes, here is a link to download the image disk of my own Cyrix SLC2 software disk: http://dl.free.fr/jmX0SDPxw
Use winimage to open the file or write it on a real floppy.

And here is a photo of the manual about the installation for MSDOS. If you need another OS (Win3x, Win NT, OS2) let me know.

img20120519184454.jpg

---------- Post added at 19:06 ---------- Previous post was at 18:49 ----------

Mmm i have just read that this thread is about a 486DXR2 upgrade while my above post is about the 486SLC2. The cache utility might be the same however as the SLC2 also has a 1KB cache. Just check the disk.

allright!

I'm gonna give you some dos commands that are easier to explain :)

asumming you are on a dos prompt:

copy c:\autoexec.bat a:\ (this coppies autoexec.bat to A: )
md a:\cache (this created the directory cache on A: )
copy c:\cache\*.* a:\cache (copies over files)

once you install your new OS , type those commands:

md c:\cache (creates directory on c: )
copy a:\cache\*.* c:\cache (copies over files from floppy to c: )
copy a:\autoexec.bat c:\ (press Y on overwrite prompt)

I would normally suggest you add the two cyrix lines manually to your new autoexec.bat but I see that it's a pretty simple and standard one , so you can get away with replacing :)

I am sure you'll do just fine now (y):)

edit: wow I just saw you have the pics on the /MEGAPC/ folder... awesome machine! Got one from eBay 5+ years ago but it had serious battery acid damage...

Thanks all the commands worked fine in copying but now Im having a seperate problem in getting MS DOS to load up. Ive installed it all fine but it doesnt go to the C: prompt or A: prompt. When I have used a DOS startup disk created from windows xp, i try loading up dos again but it says its already installed!

It keeps saying non system disk/no system disk and tries to read the floppy drive. I think it may be to do with the jumper settings on the hard drive.

RE: Mega PC - Ive got three Mega PC's. One of them Im trying to upgrade to the max.

Processor:386 - 486 upgrade (have hardware need software hence this post)
Memory: 1mb - 16mb (Ordered)
Co-Processor: none - looking for 387 co-processor
HDD: 40mb - 540mb/maybe add 2nd 512mb CF HDD (already got) if can get this one working! (trying to install hence this post)
ISA Graphics card:(looking for the best I can get) or upgrade the vga memory from 256k to 512k (already got the vga chip)
External Parralel CD-ROM: (looking for one...)
Software: plan to install Calmira for windows 3.1 to make it look like windows xp with improvements
Games: - DOS games and everdrive cart (have got ROMS)
Battery: Replace NICAD with NIMH or CR2032

Do you still have yours?

how big a hard disk are you trying to install on the machine?
You should use fdisk to create patrition(s) and make the 1st one bootable...
Also IMHO don't get an ISA vga because you will loose the megadrive/pc video switching! Probably better to upgrade the onboard vga and keep the custom built-in switch :)
I don't have mine complete anymore, just the battered up case and the mobo hdd/floppy... the rest (megadrive isa card basically) were donated :)

how big a hard disk are you trying to install on the machine?
You should use fdisk to create patrition(s) and make the 1st one bootable...
Also IMHO don't get an ISA vga because you will loose the megadrive/pc video switching! Probably better to upgrade the onboard vga and keep the custom built-in switch :)
I don't have mine complete anymore, just the battered up case and the mobo hdd/floppy... the rest (megadrive isa card basically) were donated :)

The size of the hd is 540mb, the max limit for this machine (according to another forum I am on). Some sites list the drive as less.

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcf...-Hard-Drive-Limit-for-386&p=225963#post225963

On another forum, not the one above, I was told I could switch of the vga, use a ISA video card as the megadrive just used the vga port to output a display and was independent of the rest.

Re: your mega pc - would you be interested in selling what you have left as one of mine is damaged around the floppy area on the casing or is your too battered!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280872729693?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

---------- Post added at 23:24 ---------- Previous post was at 23:21 ----------

Dudes, here is a link to download the image disk of my own Cyrix SLC2 software disk: http://dl.free.fr/jmX0SDPxw
Use winimage to open the file or write it on a real floppy.

And here is a photo of the manual about the installation for MSDOS. If you need another OS (Win3x, Win NT, OS2) let me know.

img20120519184454.jpg

---------- Post added at 19:06 ---------- Previous post was at 18:49 ----------

Mmm i have just read that this thread is about a 486DXR2 upgrade while my above post is about the 486SLC2. The cache utility might be the same however as the SLC2 also has a 1KB cache. Just check the disk.

Hi Xanxi

Thanks for your post. Like a typical englishman, I dont speak french so didnt have a clue on what to click to download the software!

Its worth downloading if all else fails!

Both chips have 1k cache so may just work!

Yikes, that's some nasty damage on the floppy there... IIRC the faccia on mine is OK, I will check it on Monday and get back to you...

You could use a bigger HDD if you like by using a software bios overlay like OnTrack's Disk Manager... it will consume ~6-8kb of ram (it won't mess much with your conventional free ram) but you could use a 20-30GB HDD if you like ... I use a 20GB on my IBM 386sx machine this way ;)
But I think your problem is the hdd format/active partition, just let dos installation prepare it for you

Thanks all the commands worked fine in copying but now Im having a seperate problem in getting MS DOS to load up. Ive installed it all fine but it doesnt go to the C: prompt or A: prompt. When I have used a DOS startup disk created from windows xp, i try loading up dos again but it says its already installed!

It keeps saying non system disk/no system disk and tries to read the floppy drive. I think it may be to do with the jumper settings on the hard drive.

Make sure before installing DOS that the hard drive is formatted with "FORMAT C: /S" command. Else DOS will install fine but won't boot up.

If you don't want to erase the HDD, then you can also try "SYS C:" command after you boot from a floppy that contains the SAME version of DOS as on the harddisk.

Make sure before installing DOS that the hard drive is formatted with "FORMAT C: /S" command. Else DOS will install fine but won't boot up.

If you don't want to erase the HDD, then you can also try "SYS C:" command after you boot from a floppy that contains the SAME version of DOS as on the harddisk.

Thanks chaps

I will start the DOS installation from scratch after formatting it if the SYS C: command doesnt work (what does it do and do I need to do anything else after...)

I need to get myself a DOS for dummies book.

Keropi
Re Drive Overlay - Im trying to run the Mega PC with a stock hard drive at the moment without drive overlay. Im guessing the cache software takes up some RAM, then the drive overlay will take some more?

Your Mega PC: Thanks - hopefully will be able to restore another mega pc with your parts!

Well, the SYS commands copies the bootable system files from one drive to another.
Assuming you have a bootable floppy for example, you need to do a SYS A: C: to copy boot files from A: to C: and flag C: as bootable... just boot from your DOS install disk, exit the setup and do the sys a: c: thingie, with luck it will work :)
The /S switch on the format command does pretty much the same after formating a drive, it grabs the bootable files and flags the target as a boot device.

OnTrack takes about 6-8kb of memory and nothing more... the latest version 9.57 grabs those kb "outside the DOS area" , on my machines you don't get 655.360 bytes of base ram but ~648.000 bytes, DiskManager grabs the missing from boot. But that does not mean you can't have ~610+ kb of free base mem after using HMA (the area between the 640kb and the 1st 1MB, ~320kb)
For me that "loss" is well worth it :LOL:

Didnt have a chance to try this as I was packing a few things I sold here and elsewhere ready to post tomorrow.

Im starting to put the drive overlay option back in the picture...

Will let you know how I get on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom