PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard switcher boxes

Harrison
25th August 2009, 14:36
I need a solution to switch between 3 keyboards and wondered if any of you can give some recommendations?

I don't need a full KVM solution as the mouse and LCD monitors for the three systems are fine next to each other as they already share and switch between the different monitors they share for dual displays when needed. All I need is the ability to declutter the desk by reducing the number of keyboards needed.

Any one got any suggestions? Possibly a manual switching box to switch between the PCs as I've always hated soft key combinations of KVMs for this.

Also the cheaper the solution the better.

imnogeek
25th August 2009, 14:45
If you were to use a USB keyboard then this would do the trick.

http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/Sea ... &CatId=266 (http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=362051&CatId=266)

Gary

arnljot
25th August 2009, 14:46
If your network is secure, and they all are on the same net. I can reccomend synergy (http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/). Very nifty, and the only hardware you need is networkcables and a switch, which in most offices/homes with computers are already in place today! :-)

Harrison
25th August 2009, 15:55
Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately all my keyboards are still PS/2 so the usb switch isn't possible. That is however a nice little product that might be useful for something in the future so I will have to remember that one.

And the Synergy software also sounds very useful. However all 3 PCs are not always on at the same time so it wouldn't really work. I don't have one of them that is always on and could be used as the controlling system with keyboard/mouse.

Therefore I really need a switch that can just switch between PS/2 ports on three PCs and 1 PS/2 keyboard.

I was rummaging around in some boxes of old stuff earlier and found a nice chunky metal cased switch that has VGA and keyboard support. I originally used it years ago when I only had a single 21" CRT monitor and 3 PCs, but it always created slight ghosting on screen so it got ditched eventually when I obtained some free 17" CRTs. However it does also allow keyboard switching. I would however need to try and find some PS/2 cables that connect from the switch to the PCs. Anyone know where I can find some of those?

arnljot
25th August 2009, 16:54
So the need is basically a PS2 key+mouse switch which can handle at least three machines.

Ideally with a manual knob to select machine.

Easiest sounds to me to find an PS2 KVM on ebay (never mind that none of them come with knobs, and live with soft switch) and just don't attach a screen, just key+mouse and leave the screens as you like.

Would that do it?

Harrison
25th August 2009, 17:33
I was thinking of doing it that way, but would definitely prefer manual switching between the machines.

arnljot
25th August 2009, 18:25
I have one which I think you can switch manually on, also it needs an external psu which I don't have. So I cannot test it. It's for four or eight units. Cannot tell. It's a bit "stupid" that's why I haven't bothered with it. It has connections on all four sides. And a button on the top where you toggle between the machines. It's yours for postage.