Not open for further replies.

Harrison

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I'm looking for a set (two chips) of TOS 2.06 roms for an Atari STE.

If anyone has some please let me know.

Re: WTB: Atari STE TOS 2.06 roms

Have you asked rkauer? :twisted:

Kin

I think I have these, hang on a sec. (Rumages through a box of Atari ST parts.) Yes, I do indeed have a pair. Let me take a picture and post it up for you. They appear to be aftermarket chips? I can't tell you take a look and tell me what you think. I don't know a whole lot about the Atari line of computers (or Amiga, really :D ) so is there going to be a problem with North American Chips? Please let me know.

Nathan

Attachments

• st roms.jpg
    st roms.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 0
  • TOS Chips 001.jpg
    TOS Chips 001.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 2
  • TOS Chips 002.jpg
    TOS Chips 002.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 0

WOW! :shock: I sure was thinking I'd never see those Pics. Even if Harrison doesn't have them from you Nathan, rkauer might buy them from you just to have "burning" rights on them. :twisted:

Kin

Kin Hell said:
Have you asked rkauer? :twisted:

Kin

:ROTFLOL2: :ROTFLOL2: :ROTFLOL2:

Hmm... Better not.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

:hijacked:

So, what gives?

I've never used an Atari ST, having grown up with Amiga. Always loved my miggy, but never had reason to dislike the Atari (Other than brand-loyalty, of course) -- are they really that bad? :)

Yeah Andy, they can be. The OS name says it all; - TOS :jester:

It just wan't a well supported platform in it's day & was not as user friendly as the Amiga.
I'm sure rkauer has his own reasons & the only burning rights I was suggesting he could have with these ROMS is to torch them with a Gas Axe.

Anyways, I'm way off Topic here & might get meh hand slapped. :|

Kin

I disagree with the support the ST received. Most games were released on both Amiga and ST (even if the ST versions were generally worse), and there was a lot of productivity software for the ST too, especially music (midi sequencing) based, and lots of office apps.

As Kin said though, the ST's OS held it back badly. It used a combination of the TOS OS with an off the shelf desktop frontend called GEM which was already available for PCs at the time. It was a horrible desktop system that was very primative compared even to Windows 3! The horrible green desktop background was a trademark of GEM and the ST. The 2 floppy drive icons were fixed in place on the desktop and you had a limited number of windows that could be open at once. Custom icons, background images, colour schemes etc were not supported in earlier versions. These features were added in the much later TOS 2.X chips but it was still very limiting compared to even Workbench 1.2. ST's also had no multitasking support, but again this was added much latter with the big box Mega ST and TT models in the form of MultiTos. And some enthusiast OSs and desktop frontend more recently appeared offering multitasking and many features missing from the original versions of TOS and GEM. But they are still inferior to even Workbench 2 in my view.

Don't get me wrong though. While the ST hardware and OS was inferior to the Amiga in most areas by a great margin, the system did still sell very well, and I think better in the US than the Amiga. It had large support from the music industry due to the built in midi ports, and it did see some games released that were better than the Amiga ports (earlier games generally that were badly ported from the ST to the Amiga) and some games that never saw an Amiga release. The ST also enjoyed quite an active demoscene, although nothing compared to the size of the Amiga one.

And at the very end of the STs live the Atari Falcon completed the STs models and was a very powerful system. However as Atari were struggling to was crippled in a cost cutting exercise by running on a slow 16bit system bus, even though the CPU was a 32 030. It was still a powerful system though and easily gave the A1200 a run for its money. And an upgraded one can easily beat an Amiga as proved by some of the Falcon demoscene productions. However it was much too little too late, and compared to the AGA Amigas the Falcon saw very little third party support in terms of both hardware upgrades and software.

The Amiga was and still is king.

Even so, it is fun to get hold of some STs and have a play around with them.

:eek:fftopic:
(well slightly)

I have to say, being mostly an Amiga kid, I did have a go on STs back in the day and have revisted the ST range recently.
Like many have said, the OS was poor (and it lived up to it's name :ROTFLOL2: )
The ST had it's strong points (although the only one I could think of at this moment is that if you dropped an STFM or an STE on somebody's head, it'll kill them, try that with an Amiga 500 and they'd probably survive :laugh: )

At the end of the day, I have a lot of respect for the ST ..... if it wasn't for the Atari's :censored: ups, the Amiga wouldn't have been as good as it is :whistle: :LOL:

woodycool said:
At the end of the day, I have a lot of respect for the ST ..... if it wasn't for the Atari's :censored: ups, the Amiga wouldn't have been as good as it is :whistle: :LOL:
Despite Commodore having plenty of :censored:-ups of its own! :ROTFLOL2:

But, ....back on Topic..... :readit:

@ Harrison

As a matter of interest, did you acquire the Atari ROMS from Nathan or did you let rkauer have them?? :twisted:

Kin

Why in heaven I'll destroy a perfect working pair of EEPROM chips? (n)

BTW: you know that EEPROM are erasable, right? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Jurst burn (bonfire fire) em! :twisted:

Kin

Did you ever get those TOS chips I sent you? It's been over a month. I know there are still post strikes going, but I wouldn't think it would have blocked it so long.

Nathan

Sadly I still haven't received the ROM chips. I have been getting everything else sent to me in the post, including a parcel from Italy today, so it is definitely not the Postal Strikes holding anything up.

Did you send the package with any tracking? Recorded?

I hope some Postal Amiga fan didn't detect them on route and do something...

I haven't received them back, and I don't know where I put the paper that had tracking on it. I can inquire at the local post office tomorrow in the morning and find out what's happened. I'm sorry if you won't get them because of some screw up. At least you aren't out anything, right?

Nathan

I found the shipping form, and I checked with the Post office about the tracking number. The package reached International postage, and that's where it ends. So the USPS says it reached out of the US, but they don't track farther than that. I'm at a loss. As far as I can tell, they've vanished, which really sucks. Well, maybe it just got shuffled aside due to the size of the box and it will show up sometime. I wish you the best of luck that it arrives within your lifetime. Sorry I couldn't get more specific information. They couldn't/wouldn't give me a tracking number from when it hit the the Postal service in your country. I hate my post office. I should have shipped it UPS or Fed-Ex, at least it would have gotten there.

Nathan

@ Nathan

What did you disclose on the Customs form for the UK & how many weeks ago since you shipped?

Kin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom