limboy777
23rd May 2012, 11:52
PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD - I HAVE RECEIVED EVERYTHING I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR

Received - 387 maths co processor

Someone must have one lying around!

BlindGerMan
23rd May 2012, 12:01
Hi Mate,

your minimum of graphics ram is afaik the maximum that standard ISA cards ever had, they mostly came with 512kb or 1mb. There are only a few ISA graphic boards with 2mb, so cheap might be a problem!

Good luck for your search mate!

dony
23rd May 2012, 12:16
Hi. I have LOTS of ISA graphics cards - I can send you a couple for the cost of postage. PM me for the details. ;)

keropi
23rd May 2012, 12:32
I think I mentioned it before, but changing the vga on the megapc robs you the ability of the onboard megadrive/pc vga switch....

limboy777
23rd May 2012, 15:25
Hi Keropi

I have had a look at the manual for the mega pc and it says you can turn of the on board video and use an external expansion card. This can be done by adjusting the jumpers.

The PC side only recognises the Megadrive part as a sound card (ad lib) and so in theory it should work.

If it doesnt Ill just take it out and put it back to factory settings. At least I can prove or disprove whether this works. Wish me luck.

Hopefully the experiment wont be expensive:roll: If you have already tried this then I will be happy to close the thread as I am looking to get this for my Amstrad Mega PC and the megadrive bit is the key component in me having one!

Thanks once again for all your help

---------- Post added at 15:24 ---------- Previous post was at 15:23 ----------

Hi Mate,

your minimum of graphics ram is afaik the maximum that standard ISA cards ever had, they mostly came with 512kb or 1mb. There are only a few ISA graphic boards with 2mb, so cheap might be a problem!

Good luck for your search mate!

Thanks I can only hope!

---------- Post added at 15:25 ---------- Previous post was at 15:24 ----------

Hi. I have LOTS of ISA graphics cards - I can send you a couple for the cost of postage. PM me for the details. ;)

Thanks I will send a PM now. You dont live near to Keropi do you?

keropi
23rd May 2012, 15:34
Dony and I have a ~500km distance between us :lol:

I think I did not write clearly what I mean: an ISA vga will surelly work fine in the megapc, what you will loose is the abillity to display the megadrive output on the monitor when you slide the frond cover... If you see the megradrive card you will notice there is a ribbon going to the motherbord. One of the things that travel through the ribbon is the actual video output of the megadrive (15khz rgb, the amstard monitor is a 31/15khz multisync one). That video output gets feeded on the onbard vga that has the front cover switch integrated, so depending on what side the cover is you get to see pc or megadrive stuff on the screen.
Now if you put another vga then you will need to use a manual monitor switcher to select the output of either the vga or the megadrive when needed.... that is a major drawback IMHO (I hope you understand what I am trying to say)

limboy777
23rd May 2012, 15:40
Dony and I have a ~500km distance between us :lol:

I think I did not write clearly what I mean: an ISA vga will surelly work fine in the megapc, what you will loose is the abillity to display the megadrive output on the monitor when you slide the frond cover... If you see the megradrive card you will notice there is a ribbon going to the motherbord. One of the things that travel through the ribbon is the actual video output of the megadrive (15khz rgb, the amstard monitor is a 31/15khz multisync one). That video output gets feeded on the onbard vga that has the front cover switch integrated, so depending on what side the cover is you get to see pc or megadrive stuff on the screen.
Now if you put another vga then you will need to use a manual monitor switcher to select the output of either the vga or the megadrive when needed.... that is a major drawback IMHO (I hope you understand what I am trying to say)

Re: Dony and I have a ~500km distance between us - Im sure you wouldnt mind a long walk or cycle ride. Its good for your health!

Oh I see what you mean now. The Amstrad manual didnt mention this and I didnt quite twig! :roll:

If the ISA video card has a vga out - does this mean I can connect to two monitors at the same time displaying two different outputs (one megadrive and one PC? - that would be quite cool...or is it just not going to happen without a switching mechanism?

Sorry for my constant Newb questions, bought laptops most of my life and the only things Ive upgraded was the memory or hard drive on them! The only time I did have a desktop and did something to it, I destroyed the ram as I didnt use anti static protection!:picard

keropi
23rd May 2012, 17:20
a health ride you say? not a bad idea... :lol:

well, if you would connect 2 monitors (one on the new vga and the megapc monitor on the old onboard) then ofcourse it would work! ;) the switching mechanism just switches the output to pc<->megadrive
But you would still have to slide the door to activate/de-activate the megadrive and pc...
don't worry about asking - that's how you learn :thumbsup:

dony
23rd May 2012, 18:45
Well, you seem to know a hell of a lot things about the MegaPC - do you have one of those too? I thought it was a quite a rare machine to find...

Well, if you do have a MegaPC then I can have the 500km walk we were talking about and check it out for myself! :lol:

keropi
23rd May 2012, 19:09
I did get one some ~5 years ago from eBay.de ... turned out with massive battery corrosion and pretty much dead beyond repair :( but while trying to resurrect it I learned a couple of things for it :lol: (one of them being: if you don't get it's monitor or a have access to a 15/31khz vga one then don't get it at all...) :lol:

limboy777
23rd May 2012, 22:06
I did get one some ~5 years ago from eBay.de ... turned out with massive battery corrosion and pretty much dead beyond repair :( but while trying to resurrect it I learned a couple of things for it :lol: (one of them being: if you don't get it's monitor or a have access to a 15/31khz vga one then don't get it at all...) :lol:

Thats so true, my first mega pc ame without a monitor, I played with windows for a few minutes, got bored and then started looking for a monitor!:lol:

limboy777
28th May 2012, 18:59

Hi dony thanks for this. Ive just sent payment for postage:thumbsup:

dony
28th May 2012, 19:47
I just hope the VGAs I've sent you will do what you want them for...

limboy777
31st May 2012, 09:19
Hi received the cards yesterday. Well packed. Not tested but will do! Will leave you feedback. Thanks mate

limboy777
31st May 2012, 21:50
Left you feedback. Thanks mate!:thumbsup:

dony
1st June 2012, 07:31
You're welcome! I left feedback too. Just let me know if they worked for you.

limboy777
2nd June 2012, 22:46
Yes will do. I think if they dont work then I think the VRAM chips on two of the boards can be used to upgrade the motherboard on board graphics so happy either way!:D

limboy777
24th June 2012, 16:51
Hi dony

I used the vram chips to upgrade 2 of the mega pc's I own (one of the others was already upgraded). The chips worked great!

Unfortunatley the graphics cards will mess up the mega pc side but were great for the chips.:thumbsup:

Still looking for a 387 co processor

tokyoracer
24th June 2012, 19:59
Hi dony

I used the vram chips to upgrade 2 of the mega pc's I own (one of the others was already upgraded). The chips worked great!

Unfortunatley the graphics cards will mess up the mega pc side but were great for the chips.:thumbsup:

You could check out the "Vogons" forum for old PC/DOS support. Though a Co-Pro makes no difference to performance other then a very few select bits of software (often CAD design stuff).

limboy777
25th June 2012, 09:42
Hi dony

You could check out the "Vogons" forum for old PC/DOS support. Though a Co-Pro makes no difference to performance other then a very few select bits of software (often CAD design stuff).

Hi mate I jusst like having all the free sockets upgraded although I know it makes no real difference with a co pro. I am a member of vogons so will check it out tonight.

dony
25th June 2012, 11:23
Hi dony

I'm glad to hear that you found something useful there! :thumbsup:

tom888
24th July 2012, 19:27

I have a Cyrix FasMath 387 lying around, if you're still looking for one.

limboy777
27th July 2012, 20:38
Hi Tom yes I am interested. Sending you a PM.:thumbsup:

limboy777
9th August 2012, 22:01
I received the fasmath co-pro today from Tom and left feedback!

Thank you for everyone for replying.

This thread can now be closed.:thumbsup:

keropi
10th August 2012, 00:13
awesome!!!