Which console has the best hardware for 2D games?

Country
UK
Region
New Forest
This sort of comes under programming...well it might get quite technical anyway :)

Having just picked up a Sega Saturn very cheap, I looked it up to find it was a very competent (but apparently very complex to program well) machine for 2D games.
Some say it had the best 2D graphics hardware available on any console, and was the last one to use dedicated 2D hardware before the textured 3D chips took over that task (PS1 etc).
I have also heard that the NeoGeo was rather nifty too.What commercially available machine had the best/most powerful 2D hardware? I would also include PC GFX cards as a bonus point...(S3 Virge DX anyone?) Also out of interest, any 'non consumer' stuff too, like arcade boards.

Out of all consoles for me it is the Neo Geo MVS/AES.

Compare a Mega Drive platformer like Altered Beast to the Neo Geo Magician Lord and there is no comparison.

Also just look at the detail on Metal Slug, awesome. (y)

PC graphics cards were pretty much blitter + software only until the advent of DirectDraw and 3D.

NeoGeo had the best 2D hardware of commercial consoles.

AFAIK the Saturn lacked alpha channels making blending either software (slow) or dithering (transparent opaque patterning)

It's a toss up between the Neo Geo (CD/MVS/AES) and the Sega Saturn... Technically the Saturn is better.

Is the Dreamcast any good? I thought it played 2D fighters brilliantly but I dont know how it stacks up against a Saturn etc

I think that the 3DO had kinda killer specs on its graphic chipset (for its time) at least on paper.

But dont really know If translated to real use was it better than the Saturn or the Neo Geo as I've never seen one working :p.

I think that the 3DO had kinda killer specs on its graphic chipset (for its time) at least on paper.

But dont really know If translated to real use was it better than the Saturn or the Neo Geo as I've never seen one working :p.

It didn't compare to the Saturn... The 3DO is garbage imo (and i've owned 2 of them :roll:).

Any of the current gen consoles are the best hardware for 2d games, just look at Rayman Origins :p

For the console with the best 2d games graphically from back in the day, Saturn then NEO GEO, then Game Boy Advance :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Saturn

explaines the demise of the Saturn and the Knightmare in programming the dual core cpus.
some developers just gave up and used 1 cpu,

a good example of dual core programming was virtua fighter, each character had a CPU each :) . technically way ahead of its time and too complex to program.

I quite like the 3DO I still currently own. ;-)

But I'd have to say the Neo Geo based on the games...

IMO

desiv

Seeing all of those in action, I can vouch for the Neo Geo. Astonishing graphics.

DC has a huge fan base.. people out there still making stuff for it now..
can also render gfx prety well even comparing the games to the pc counter parts..

So meh..
i dont have any of them lol.. :double

Yeah all of Segas consoles share hardware with their arcade machines so theyre going to be pretty hard to beat for 2D. Saturn and Dreamcast are 2 of the best out there. NeoGeo however probably has the edge in terms of 2D fighters vs the Saturn but then its a lot tougher to come by most of the games that are on both systems were made for the NeoGeo and ported to the Saturn which may explain the slight inferiority.

The Dreamcast has some brilliant 2D fighters.

Last edited:
"What commercially available machine had the best/most powerful 2D hardware?"

PS3 and Xbox360, of course :D

I dont play many games on Neo-Geo so I cant judge. Saturn's got a huge library of 2D great games and usually they look better (but not much) than PSX versions, my choice is Saturn then.

The ultimate solution without breaking the bank is to get your hands on an NTSC-J Japanese Saturn and import your games so you run 60Hz.

It makes for a very arcade-like experience.

Is the Dreamcast any good? I thought it played 2D fighters brilliantly but I dont know how it stacks up against a Saturn etc

Dreamcast kills at 2D. Many of the later games in Japan released after the DC's death everywhere else were fast paced 2D shooters. It's built on Arcade technology, much like the Saturn... only newer arcade technology :D

Sega actually used many of their Arcade machines as a base for their consoles. Their consoles were basically just smaller adapted versions in many ways when it comes down to it.

Here's a quick list of some of the most popular Sega Hardware and which arcade tech they were designed on...

MegaDrive - System16 Arcade board

Saturn - Sega ST-V Arcade board (Saturn was virtually identical to this arcade machine in every way)

Dreamcast - Sega NAOMI Arcade board

Look up the hardware in each of these, I kid you not!

This is why Sega were king of home arcade conversions. They put the same tech in your house :D

Hmmm whats the best console for 2D hardware?

Without going current gen, then technically the Dreamcast - however SNK's NeoGeo is an awesome machine, with lots of scrolly shooters, fight'em ups and more fight'em ups.

In the 2D game department, I would put both these machines together as equal, although NOT equal in spec!

Back
Top Bottom