Status
Not open for further replies.

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
I've quickly learned to have Windows UAC.

It just doesn't learn my preferences.

Having googled the issue I see that there are three (four if you count disabling it) solutions to the UAC nightmare.

1) Use programs that are in start up to run as administred scheduled tasks with highest privileges.
2) Use the utility "Elevate Me" which can imho give a false security if configured wrong
and, most interestingly:
3) Use Norton UAC

What's the jurys verdict on this? Is it good, or is it the usual Norton h-e-l-l?

It seems from the info site to be a small nice little tool.
http://www.nortonlabs.com/inthelab/uac.php

Re: Norton UAC?

I'll second ing's notion. I'd sooner hack a bollock off with a teaspoon, than install that crap. 8)

Kin

Kin Hell said:
I'll second ing's notion. I'd sooner hack a bollock off with a teaspoon, than install that crap. 8)

Kin

Thanks Charlie, for that fascinating, informative insight into the world of Norton and User Access Control........ :shock: :laugh:

My pleasure Dave. You already know it would hurt a lot less than it would to install Norton. :jester:

Kin

I've learned my lesson too with Norton bloatware. But this seems to be more lightweight app.

But the workarounds provided by Gary is very good, so I'll go with that. Also they do not open holes in the UAC.

Re the use of teaspoons.
:wooha:

No comment...

What ever you do .... never EVER EVER install Norton unless you want your PC to be about as powerful as a broken down but oversized George Foreman grill.

Norton = Windows killer!

As for UAC .... turn it off already.

I have made shortcuts for the programs that UAC complains about that I use regularly.

Also, I have installed Commodo and I am super happy with it. It's just as good as Avast (allhtough Avast updates better the first time after install). But Commodo comes with a good firewall.

I just enquired about the Norton tool as it was a clear and simple tool. But as you guys read from my first post, I'm familiar with the bogware that goes by the brand Norton. I just hoped that this tool didn't have that stain...

Mods, please close this thread, I and the community have our reply: LISTEN TO imnogeek

Thanks everyone, and you too wc! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom