PDA

View Full Version : Post here everytime you get something new!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

gazcbm
10th September 2009, 20:04
The thread idea was shamelessly borrowed from another site, but should be quite a funky thread if it gets going!

Anyway, heres two of my most recent purchases... my dreamcast wheel and arcade stick.

keropi
10th September 2009, 23:13
what a nice idea!
here is what I got today:

http://images.e-shop.gr/images/PER/BIG/PER.612328.jpg

a TP-LINK TL-WA601G 108M EXTENDED RANGE SUPER G WIRELESS ACCESS POINT , now I need a couple of 108MPBS wifi cards too :ROTFLOL2:

Harrison
13th September 2009, 15:12
No pictures at the moment, but I picked up a nice Atari STE the other day. And when it turned up I had the surprise of finding 4MB installed. ;)

chain
14th September 2009, 10:30
http://chain.3dgrafika.cz/temp/automat.jpg
:pint:

SkydivinGirl
14th September 2009, 13:44
@chain

Is "Crazy Virtual" the name of a game or is that a MAME machine of some type? There are aliens on the marquee but the game looks like soccer.

:)

Heather

Merlin
14th September 2009, 14:59
@chain

Is "Crazy Virtual" the name of a game or is that a MAME machine of some type? There are aliens on the marquee but the game looks like soccer.

Heather

Well spotted!! Nothing gets past you, eh?

LOL

Shoonay
14th September 2009, 15:57
Looks like Super Sidekicks 2 on Neo-Geo to me...

Justin
14th September 2009, 16:04
@chain

Heather

soccer? what's soccer? oh wait you mean football :P

Shoonay
14th September 2009, 16:34
AKA "Pi?ka No?na" :mrgreen:

:run:

Justin
14th September 2009, 16:41
AKA "Pi?ka No?na" :mrgreen:

:run:

no not "Pilka Nonza" football, the English invented the game (as much as i hate the game) therefore the English should name the game, which they did and it is football! :jester:

as for American football, why do they keep picking it up? surely that's rugby but with safety padding :wink:

SkydivinGirl
14th September 2009, 20:05
soccer? what's soccer? oh wait you mean football :P
LOL! I figured someone would say something about that. :) However, I agree that it should be called what it was called where it was started.

:thanks:

Heather

SkydivinGirl
16th September 2009, 02:13
Just picked up a Commodore 16 in wonderful condition. The keys have some yellowing but it looks more like it's dirty than the plastic actually yellowing. :)

Hurray!

Heather

chiark
16th September 2009, 12:25
A new tailored suit from asuithatfits.com - does that count? :D

Justin
16th September 2009, 12:28
A new tailored suit from asuithatfits.com - does that count? :D

not without a picture! :jester:

arnljot
16th September 2009, 12:48
As the DNS-323 NAS mirrored disk started to complain, I bought new disks, and a docking station. Taking the opportunity to upgrade to 1500GB disks.

This is the old ext2 disk, docked to Vista64bit copying the content over to the freshly installed 1500GB disks.

Justin
16th September 2009, 13:01
niiiiiiiice :thumbsup:

quarkx
16th September 2009, 13:29
Just picked up a Commodore 16 in wonderful condition. The keys have some yellowing but it looks more like it's dirty than the plastic actually yellowing. :)

Hurray!

Heather
Heather, I just picked up 2 plus fours also. One is a Canadian "Olymipic Sponsership unit" (Label looks different from all the other plus/4 in the world). The TED computers were sure cool and under rated. There is a Keyboard for the C16 on the other bay right now, it may be worth looking into. I was bid snipped last week for a C16 :****ed: Now to find a Cassette deck an floppy drive for them :wooha:

BTW: Anyone interested in seeing what the TED was SUPOSE to be before Commodore marketing all but killed it, and draged its corpse around and around should see the Video with Bil Herd and Dave Haynie on Commodore.ca. I wont link directly to it, but it is on the "TED" page and scroll down to "Commodore 264 Videos" and see the one with Bil Herd and Dave Haynie. It shows some very interesting prototypes including the Commodore LCD that doesn't exist! and has info on TED, the 128 and briefly on the Amiga. Very cool stuff.

SkydivinGirl
16th September 2009, 13:53
I bought a Plus/4 a while back that is in like new condition and I think it's a neat little machine. I'd love to see pictures of the special edition one that you have. I haven't really looked into the specs of the C16 yet but can't you use the same floppy drives and tape drives that the C64 uses? I know they made matching black drives but I didn't think they were specifically for the C16 or Plus/4. I'll look into the keyboard on the other bay.

Thanks!

Heather

:oops: Oops, I may have been the one who bid-sniped you... I actually just placed my max bid and it ended up costing exactly what I bid. Sorry if it was you... :oops:

quarkx
16th September 2009, 14:14
I bought a Plus/4 a while back that is in like new condition and I think it's a neat little machine. I'd love to see pictures of the special edition one that you have. I haven't really looked into the specs of the C16 yet but can't you use the same floppy drives and tape drives that the C64 uses? I know they made matching black drives but I didn't think they were specifically for the C16 or Plus/4. I'll look into the keyboard on the other bay.

Thanks!

Heather

:oops: Oops, I may have been the one who bid-sniped you... I actually just placed my max bid and it ended up costing exactly what I bid. Sorry if it was you... :oops:

LOL, that would have been funny if that was you :thumbsup2:
I was at work when the Auction ended, but I was winning it a couple hours before. I see there is a nice minty boxed one for a good BIN price, but the guy only ships UPS and he wants $113 for shipping. Once UPS gets to my door here in canada they will tack another $100 on it so, its not worth it.
The "regular" Commodore floppy (from what I understand) will not work with the TED computers (different plug) I could be wrong. The "black" 1551 floppy drive that was made for the Plus/4 is suppose to be 40% faster than a regular Commodore drive due to the special connector, this is what I have read, I could be wrong though.

bellow is the auction picture of the Canadian plus/4, when I saw it, I couldn't put my finger on what was different. I e-mailed Bil Herd, and he suggested it may be another Country plus/4, but he didn't know. I then did an search and all the labels were the same in google search. (They all say "PLUS /4") then on a Commodore c16 site they had the answer.

quarkx
16th September 2009, 14:38
It looks like the C2N Datasette (1530) sports a square or rectangle plug. It looks like the 1531 has a round din (PS/2) like plug.

SkydivinGirl
16th September 2009, 21:32
Wow! Shipping costs can be extremely outrageous. There's actually another C16 on the other bay right now, other than the one with the BIN so hopefully you've got another chance.

Thanks for the information on the connectors. I'll have to get more information on them. Very nice Plus/4. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Heather

quarkx
17th September 2009, 07:35
Wow! Shipping costs can be extremely outrageous. There's actually another C16 on the other bay right now, other than the one with the BIN so hopefully you've got another chance.

Thanks for the information on the connectors. I'll have to get more information on them. Very nice Plus/4. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Heather
Just UPS bends Canadian's over for cross boarder shopping. No matter how much you pay up front for shipping they want at least that or double at the door. It is TOTALY Illegal, but they pay the Gov't to look the other way. They have been involved in Countless class action lawsuits, but they just keep charging the outragous fees.
Would you belive thet Newtec only ships UPS and I wanted to order the latest Videotoaster CD. They wanted $40 for the software, but $80 to ship UPS- JUST A CD! totally insane, but that is the cheapest they could ship it.

r0jaws
17th September 2009, 20:49
I am posting using my latest purchase, a ZTE MF627 3G Mobile broadband Modem.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/r0jaws/ztemf627-4.jpg

My job occasionally demands I wander round the country and I currently find myself in Yorkshire helping out. However, the thought of not getting a daily dose of vitamin t'interweb brought me out in the kind of sweat usually associated with serious addiction, so I bought one of these puppies.
Connected upto the Three network I'm getting some pretty good speeds and a reliable connection. I am pleasantly surprised it works so well. :thumbsup2:
It'll definitely be handy, a nice little buy for 20 quid I thought.

Harrison
18th September 2009, 01:14
Will be interesting to know how you get on with 3 coverage. One of my Pay as you go mobiles is on 3 and has some bad coverage dropout in places, including my living room! My other mobile is on Orange and I don't get the same coverage issues.

gazcbm
19th September 2009, 22:50
Addded this to my collection along with Goldeneye 007, Starwars Shadow of the empire and a Gameboy original

:thumbsup2:

r0jaws
21st September 2009, 00:01
Picked up an Amstrad CPC 464 with monochrome monitor for a tenner from a car boot sale today.
Very pleased. :D

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/r0jaws/Amstrad464.jpg

The Play button is not working though, however, the FF and RW etc all are functioning so when I get a moment I'll be checking the mechanism.

Nathanieltolbert
21st September 2009, 05:52
Well, it's not all completely new, but it will the last new things I buy for a while, and by the time I finish with all the pictures you'll see why. Here we go.. Oh nice to note? I picked up the Beatles: Rockband and Batman both for 29.99 USD on sale from Best buy. I pointed out that the price was wrong and the lady just looked at me. Oh well.

Nathanieltolbert
21st September 2009, 06:00
Part Deux of my recently purchased items. The bottom is why I'm not buying anything new for a while. So I have shared everything interesting I have purchased recently. Hope you guys post more!!

SkydivinGirl
21st September 2009, 13:46
Is it odd that I'm more jealous of the GVP HD than I am of the car? :wink:

Quite a lot of nice stuff!

Heather

Nathanieltolbert
21st September 2009, 15:14
Well, I believe he has another one of the GVP Side Cars. I can check if you want me to. He still has another A3000T although I think he said it has memory problems.

SkydivinGirl
21st September 2009, 16:53
I would DEFINITELY be interested in one of the GVPs. I've wanted one for my A500 for quite a while now. Say, did you ever get an Amiga 1000? I've got one I'm going to sell soon. :)

Heather

Harrison
21st September 2009, 17:09
Picked up an Amstrad CPC 464 with monochrome monitor for a tenner from a car boot sale today.
Very pleased. :D

The Play button is not working though, however, the FF and RW etc all are functioning so when I get a moment I'll be checking the mechanism.

My first computer was an Amstrad CPC464. Great 8-bit system. Mine had a colour monitor though, which is much better as some games such as Gryzor have some great graphics.

Regarding the Play button. On the CPC the Play button won't do anything until you tell the computer to load something. Then it will throw up a message telling you to insert a tape and press play. Put a tape in the drive, press CTRL + ENTER and the message "RUN" Press PLAY then any key:" will appear. Press the cassette play button down, then hit any keyboard key and it should start loading and the message will change to Loading XXXX block 1 etc...

Take a look at the CPCWiki site as it contains a wealth of information for the CPC range. And in the user manuals section they even have the full original manuals for the system in PDF format.

r0jaws
21st September 2009, 20:16
Harrison, that's very useful, thanks. :D I had experimented, very briefly, with loading a tape, albeit from a spectrum. I knew it wasn't going to work but just used it to check the mechanisms were physically working. I had typed the load "" command and received the instruction to press any key and press play.
I'm away at the moment, but am looking forward to getting back to have a play. I'll have a good look through the wiki first though.

Merlin
21st September 2009, 21:29
@ r0jaws

If you do manage to fix the play button, can you please post the repair in the new thread that I've started in AmiOracle?

Thanks

r0jaws
21st September 2009, 22:08
No problem at all chap, look forward to the Vectrex repair attempts as well. :D

Nathanieltolbert
22nd September 2009, 03:49
I will check with Ed tomorrow about the GVP sidecar. I don't know about purchasing any new parts currently as I now have a 260 (approx.) monthly car payment. I will let you know what I find out about the GVP HD sidecar.

Nathan

T_Hairy_Bootson
22nd September 2009, 12:36
My CSmkIII arrived today. Bad photo I know, blame the crappy iphone camera.

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/201/img0049y.th.jpg (http://img42.imageshack.us/i/img0049y.jpg/)

edit: from the other bay... the evil one... :****ed: :flamethrower:

SkydivinGirl
22nd September 2009, 14:25
I will let you know what I find out about the GVP HD sidecar.
Thanks Nathan!

:D

Heather

Harrison
22nd September 2009, 15:43
Completely unrelated to retro hardware, unless you consider my car retro! :lol:

I just managed to get a bargain on the other bay. A pair of front replacement fog lights for my Peugeot 406 for 20!

The reason I need replacements for both is a bit of a mystery. I've owned the car since it was 2 years old. It is now 11 years old and still going strong. And in all that time the front fog lights have been perfect. However within the last couple of months I suddenly noticed one of them was cracked right across the middle. It still works fine but the whole of the glass is cracked right through so water will probably get in eventually, and the glass could fall out if a heavy jolt happens whilst driving. Then about a month ago I was cleaning the car and noticed the other fog light is now cracked in much the same way. It's also still complete and working but with a crack running right across the glass and some additional cracks running down into the corners. This one looks like a big stone thrown up from a lorry could have done it as I can see what looks like an impact chip. But what was the likelihood of driving the car for 9 years and suddenly both front fog lights breaking within months of each other? Very odd.

Now I just need to work out how to actually remove the broken ones and replace them. I've got the Haynes manual but they are never that easy to follow. Although I've never bothered following a manual before when replacing rear lights or headlights in cars before now, so how hard can it be? :lol:

rkauer
22nd September 2009, 18:51
Mate, there is a kind of "glue" intended to fix broken car glass.

It is used even on windshield repairs! :shock:

Maybe worth the price to fix the fog light and you keep the new units as spares. :wink:

retro_junkie
22nd September 2009, 20:02
Harrison, that's very useful, thanks. :D I had experimented, very briefly, with loading a tape, albeit from a spectrum. I knew it wasn't going to work but just used it to check the mechanisms were physically working. I had typed the load "" command and received the instruction to press any key and press play.
I'm away at the moment, but am looking forward to getting back to have a play. I'll have a good look through the wiki first though.

I have a couple of CPC tapes and no CPC... if you want them to test your CPC, you can have them for postage or exchange for similar Acorn/C64 tapes I could use if you have any spare.

Merlin
22nd September 2009, 20:03
@ rkauer

Broken lenses on lights are an MOT failure in the UK, so Harrison has to either fix them or remove them.

r0jaws
22nd September 2009, 21:21

I have a couple of CPC tapes and no CPC... if you want them to test your CPC, you can have them for postage or exchange for similar Acorn/C64 tapes I could use if you have any spare.

That's Great, thanks very much for the offer. Unfortunately the only Electron stuff I owned I donated to the charity auction at Byte-Back. :( I'm happy to pay postage though, it would be very useful to get some genuine software for testing purposes.
You have a PM. :D

Harrison
24th September 2009, 01:07
Something else you might like to try. People have mentioned they have had success playing CPC tape recordings from CD to load games by using one of those CD/MP3 to tape deck adaptors you can get for car stereos. Could be something interesting to try out. I know that ZX Spectrum owners have done something similar, but using samples played directly on a PC with its audio output connected to the Spectrum's tape loading port. I wonder if that works on the C64 was well. Anyone know?

Harrison
24th September 2009, 01:10
@ rkauer

Broken lenses on lights are an MOT failure in the UK, so Harrison has to either fix them or remove them.

Strangely I also thought that, but I had the car MOT's last month with both of the front fog lights cracked, and it passed. However I'm not sure they tested everything because I also had a blown full beam headlight bulb and they never noticed. :nono:

And gluing the existing ones wouldn't really be a good option as the glass is cracks right through to the inside. I'm sure when i remove them they will just fall in halve.

rkauer
24th September 2009, 03:56
That "glue" is intended to use without removing the glass from its contender. :shock:

Do a research as I don't know the commercial name on the other side of the planet. :coffee:

AndyLandy
24th September 2009, 07:38
Something else you might like to try. People have mentioned they have had success playing CPC tape recordings from CD to load games by using one of those CD/MP3 to tape deck adaptors you can get for car stereos. Could be something interesting to try out. I know that ZX Spectrum owners have done something similar, but using samples played directly on a PC with its audio output connected to the Spectrum's tape loading port. I wonder if that works on the C64 was well. Anyone know?

I know you can get away with a great many things on a Spectrum. I've used those weird tape adapters to load a game from a dodgy tape (Put it into a domestic tape player, turned up the treble, turned down the bass, plugged the headphone output into the Speccy tape player) I even recall 'copying' Spectrum games in "Hi-speed Dub" mode, and feeding the audio output of that into the Spectrum, I vaguely recall that it worked too, loading games in half the time!

As I recall, the CPC tape loader wasn't all that different from the Spectrum, so it's reasonable to expect that a lot of these tricks will work with CPC programs.

gazcbm
24th September 2009, 17:15
Picked these up :thumbsup2:

Harrison
24th September 2009, 17:42
Wow! Nice horde!

I've never owned a single C64 and there you are picking up a whole shops worth of them. :lol: What condition is it all in?

gazcbm
24th September 2009, 19:24
This particular horde seems in good condition. I dont have the time to check it all out yet but I am expecting a couple of bust PLA/VIC chips. 2 apparently black screen the rest give a fuzzy picture. Depending on whats wrong, ill probably use the good chips for spares. Got this lot for 12 squids on the other bay, was quite happy but it doesnt beat SDG's motherload!!

SkydivinGirl
24th September 2009, 21:56
Got this lot for 12 squids on the other bay, was quite happy but it doesnt beat SDG's motherload!!
:mrgreen: Indeed, I got very lucky with that! I am eying that 1531 Datasette you got there. :wink:

Heather

Shoonay
28th September 2009, 13:43
Last week, on my best friends wedding, he presented me with a GameBoyPocket + 2 games (F-1 Race and Dr. Mario) and a Game Gear + a few games packs, because his girl/wife doesn't let him store those in their home in London, lol

There's a tiny-yet-typical problem with the sound on the GG machine, which I'll try to fix according to this guide (http://www.smspower.org/dev/docs/ggsoundfix/).

PS: How do I reset scores in F-1 Race? :(

Merlin
28th September 2009, 14:07
Good news and bad news....

I now have two fully working Acorn Electrons, complete with tape cassette units. One of the cassettes is a Bell & Howell unit, which takes me right back to primary school, as I remember a lot of school supplied kit was made by Bell & Howell. TheCorfiot is kindly sending me a boxed copy of the Acorn Electron version of Elite, so I guess my evenings are going to be taken up with some rose-tinted retrogaming. :thumbsup:

It's a shame that I have two other Electrons, both of which are poorly and need surgery. One powers up but has a grey screen and no sound, the other is dead as a doornail, but has a good PSU. :( I have the Service Manual, but it's not looking good for these patients...

The sum total spent on this lot so far is about 5, so I can't complain...

keropi
30th September 2009, 07:45
I got a NOS XBOX console! Sure the box is discolored in the front, sure the 2 included games are not inside :laugh: but damnit it is new! :ROTFLOL2: (manufactured Nov,2003)

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/restqp/IMG00217-20090930-0920.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/restqp/IMG00218-20090930-0920.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/restqp/IMG00219-20090930-0922.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/restqp/IMG00220-20090930-0922.jpg

Justin
30th September 2009, 08:21
oooOOOOooo our Zeetmaster will be jealous! ;o)

keropi
30th September 2009, 08:32
there are 2 more units available, 80eur each in case anyone is interested... :whistle:

Harrison
30th September 2009, 13:21
It always amazes me when never used still sealed in box systems can be found years after their release. Although I personally don't think it is worth that much these days. You can pick up a 360 for only 40 more!

keropi
30th September 2009, 13:44
but why u hurt me like this dearest Harrison :ROTFLOL2:
it has value to keropi the retrogamer that has only a 2nd-3rd hand xbox1 to play... now I own one since new :jester: :jester: :jester:

Justin
30th September 2009, 13:55
It always amazes me when never used still sealed in box systems can be found years after their release. Although I personally don't think it is worth that much these days. You can pick up a 360 for only 40 more!

well i hope you at least feel bad now for hurting Keropi's feelings! you bad, bad man!

Harrison
30th September 2009, 14:23
So, so sorry. I do apologise from the bottom of my heart! :jester:

I suppose if you have never owned a new one then it is something special. I know how great that feeling is opening up a brand new system and connecting it up. And I'm still tempted to pay a lot to buy one of those "new" A1200's that are still floating around a couple of places just to re-experience opening one again! :lol:

However you can pick-up working Xboxes for 99p in the UK.

Justin
30th September 2009, 14:35
So, so sorry. I do apologise from the bottom of my heart! :jester:

I suppose if you have never owned a new one then it is something special. I know how great that feeling is opening up a brand new system and connecting it up. And I'm still tempted to pay a lot to buy one of those "new" A1200's that are still floating around a couple of places just to re-experience opening one again! :lol:

However you can pick-up working Xboxes for 99p in the UK.

from where? :shock:

Harrison
30th September 2009, 14:59
Most people are just trying to get rid of them these days. I've even picked one up from Freecycle earlier this year.

scrappysphinx
30th September 2009, 17:02
I agree with the 99p xboxes, i have 7 around the house and not paid more than 1 for any of them.
Ebay faulty ones collected locally. Majority just have disc read problems and are solved with a lens clean. although 3 of the 7 i purchased had blank eeproms which led to me having to flash the TSOP with eeprom embedded. In my opinion the xbox is a great console/media centre which is so simple to fix.
I've even traded working machines for faulty ones locally on freecycle, just for the next "fix" lol

Mike

r0jaws
3rd October 2009, 17:35
Just wanted to say thanks to Retro_junkie, the tapes he kindly offered for me to test out my newly acquired Amstrad CPC 464 arrived on Thursday and I was able to check out my system and confirm that everything is A Ok.
Cheers Buddy. :D

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/r0jaws/Vectrex/Amstrad/AmstradCPC4642.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/r0jaws/Vectrex/Amstrad/AmstradCPC4643.jpg

Now its time for some Hot 8 Bit monochrome Sam Fox Action! :thumbsup2:

Kin Hell
3rd October 2009, 18:00
LOL r0jaws. :thumbsup2:

Kin

arnljot
3rd October 2009, 18:05
Where are the paper towels?

Kin Hell
3rd October 2009, 20:08
Where are the paper towels?

What you actually mean is; - Where are teh....

http://home.planet.nl/~muije000/Humour/kleenex.jpg

:jester:

Kin

r0jaws
4th October 2009, 17:42
I must be on some sort of lucky streak or something. :D
Picked up a nice clean, unyellowed a500+ for a tenner at a car boot sale this morning. This one also has a ROM switcher fitted and is the cleanest piece of kit I have ever picked up!
It came with usual assortment of disks, joysticks, PSU, manuals, mouse, a520 and external floppy drive. Result!
On getting home I immediately tested it and stripped it apart for further examination of the battery etc, check out AmiOracle for details later on.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/r0jaws/a500%20plus/a5000.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/r0jaws/a500%20plus/a5001.jpg

Kin Hell
4th October 2009, 17:46
OMG Phil. :shock: - What a find. :thumbsup:

Charlie

retro_junkie
4th October 2009, 20:45
Just wanted to say thanks to Retro_junkie

No problem... without a CPC they were useless to me... good to see they work!

rkauer
4th October 2009, 23:32
Phil, you got my envy. :blink:

Stupendous find! :thumbsup:

Firthy2002
5th October 2009, 16:09
Wow great find!

Just needs a GVP Impact 2+ on the side!

Justin
5th October 2009, 18:41
can you tell what it is yet?

r0jaws
5th October 2009, 20:19
That is one weird looking controller, how does it feel to use?

Justin
5th October 2009, 21:04
honestly? lol horrible, the steering wheel is quite good but the other buttons are pretty much unusable, but i bought it cos i haven't seen one before and i thought it looked a little quirky.
that's 2 things i've bought for the n64 even though it's poo! lol i guess i'll never learn, a fool and his money and all that ;o)

Zetr0
5th October 2009, 21:10
..... learn, a fool and his money and all that ;o)

Your still Jawsome m8!

dont let anyone tell you different!

Justin
5th October 2009, 21:12
..... learn, a fool and his money and all that ;o)

Your still Jawsome m8!

dont let anyone tell you different!

lol awww bless yer wee cottons ya big old softie :thumbsup:

r0jaws
5th October 2009, 23:13
I can respect that philosophy though, buy it 'cause it's weird. :thumbsup2:

It does look like the kind of controller reserved for the Uber Leet gamer, who finds normal controllers not challenging enough, having been designed for normal human beings with fingers and opposable thumbs.
I mean, if I had my @rse handed to me by someone using that thing, the humiliation would be unbearable!

Kin Hell
5th October 2009, 23:41
@ JuvUK

It looks like one majorly button enhanced version of those Scalextric "You Steer" (http://www.modelkit-builder.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/boxcontent.jpg) controllers, side ways on. :jester:

Probably as difficult to master as the original N64 controller. What a beast & OMG! :shock:

Love the foam grip tho'. :mrgreen:

Kin

Justin
6th October 2009, 20:06
it does look like the scalextric controller :ROTFLOL2:

so anyone know what the gamecube is like?

playgeneration
6th October 2009, 20:23
so anyone know what the gamecube is like?

Gamecube is quite a nice system, I was collecting for it at one point, but decided to stop upon realising just how much of its library is crappy sports games and kids film licenses. While quite a few of the best games got released on PS2, theres still some quality exclusives. The console can be bought for next to nothing now that Wii is around and plays the games too. I'd recommend the following games:

Resident Evil 4
Viewtiful Joe
Beach Spikers Volleyball
Fzero GX
Donkey Konga
Donkey Konga Jungle Beat
Rocky
PN03
Ikaruga

scrappysphinx
6th October 2009, 23:33
@juvUK, that strange N64 racing wheel is also available for PS1 & PS2.
I know cause i had 4 of them lol. I sold them all last year as they were evil to use.

Mike

Harrison
7th October 2009, 03:48
The Gamecube is indeed a great little console. I've owned one since they came out and think it was very under rated. The hardware was quite powerful and easily beat the PS2, and possibly the Xbox, but not enough games were released to really show what it could truly do.

I especially enjoy the first party Nintendo ones. Mario Sunshine is great if you like Mario games. The water mechanics are great to play around with. Luigi's Mansion is also a great game that is quite different to other Mario universe based titles.

Other Gamecube games I recommend include:

Mario Sunshine
Luigi's Mansion
Waverace Blue Storm
Pikmin 1 and 2 (brilliant games)
Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2 (more brilliant games)
Super Smash Bros Melee
Mario Golf
Mario Power Tennis
Mario Kart (although worst of the series)
Mario Party 4, 5, 6, 7 (any of these are great fun party games)
Metroid Prime 1 and 2
Zelda - Wind Waker (I've got the limited edition which comes with an updated version of the N64 game Zelda - Ocarina of time)
Zelda - Four Swords Adventure
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (4 player FF game that can use GBA's for each player)
Lost Kingdoms 1 and 2 (nice card battle style RPGs)
Resident Evil (great remake of the Playstation original)
Resident Evil Zero
Eternal Darkness
Star Wars The Clone Wars
Star Wars Rogue Leader
Star Wars Rebel Strike
Ikaruga (although just as good on Dreamcast)
1080 degrees Avalanche
F-Zero-GX
Zelda: Twilight Princess (although better on Wii if you have one)
Wario World
Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2
Star Fox Assault (don't confuse with the dire Star Fox Adventures)
Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Day and Magical Melody
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (any fan of the original SNES Paper Mario will love this)

keropi
15th October 2009, 18:44
Gamecube is very very nice, I liked it so much I even got the 70eur component cable for it! The image difference is tremendous in lct/tv's!

Yesterday I got a SEGA CDX since mine went coconuts

http://www.pyebaker.com/new/oct13aucs%20(1).jpg ,

high quality SCART cables for megadrive 1 and megadrive2

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l291/adolchristin_2006/15m.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l291/adolchristin_2006/megadrive1stereo2.jpg

a component switch

http://i.ebayimg.com/02/!BVL(Hzg!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-CMEjlLl0rDjBKRLt+Y68Q~~_12.JPG

and today I grabbed this French N64 that is moded for full RGB output :thumbsup2:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/Hoshigami2005/Materiel/N64_RGB_MARIO2.jpg

:banme:

Justin
15th October 2009, 18:51
sweet tiya you got there m8

keropi
15th October 2009, 18:56
yes, I have developed a console fetish....

I will take this chance to present to you the NeoFlash Myth MD cartridge:
http://www.ic2005.com/shop/product.php? ... t=0&page=1 (http://www.ic2005.com/shop/product.php?productid=33&cat=0&page=1)

http://www.neoflash.com/myth/MD_Myth_retail_01.JPG

http://www.neoflash.com/img/md/neo_md_myth-2.jpg

Justin
15th October 2009, 19:02
ooooOOOOOoooo what is that and what does it do?

keropi
15th October 2009, 19:05
it is a 512mbit (128mb) flashcart... you connect it via USB to your pc, put your megadrive roms in it, then put it in your real megadrive, it boots, you select from a menu your game and YOU PLAY :ROTFLOL2:
also if you put master system games inside, the megadrive switches to master system mode and you can play them too! It is like a megadrive harddisk!

SkydivinGirl
15th October 2009, 19:35
@Keropi

I've also had a console fetish lately. My roommate actually just called me this afternoon to let me know a package arrived for me from Hong Kong. I'm extremely excited to get home now because the package contains a Game Doctor SF7 for the Super Nintendo! Yay!

http://www.tototek.com/store/images/SNES/dr7.jpg

Take care,

Heather

keropi
15th October 2009, 19:46
awesome!!!
you might want to keep an eye on Neoflash, next they will release a N64 flashcart and a SNES one!
have you tried the SF7? does it work OK and with ease?

SkydivinGirl
15th October 2009, 20:43
I'd really love to get a cart of some type for the N64 and I almost bought the one for the Genesis that you recently sold. This just came in the mail today and is sitting at home waiting for me to get there. Unfortunately, I won't really get a chance to try it until this weekend. I'll let you know how it works out. :)

I'm a little confused about the device you purchased. Does it allow you to play the Genesis/SMS games on a Nintendo DS and/or on the original Genesis?

Thanks,

Heather

keropi
15th October 2009, 20:57
the MythMD cart only plays SMS and Genesis roms on a real megadrive/genesis/variants... The Neoflash company that makes them , also makes flashcarts for GBA/DS/etc , so they just use their cards are storage devices for the MythMD cart... a clever way to get rid of their excess stock if u ask me :ROTFLOL2:

SkydivinGirl
16th October 2009, 14:17
Definitely a good use of old stock. :)

I opened up the package for my Doctor SF7 when I got home yesterday only to find the floppy drive was damaged during shipping. I can't even eject the disk that is in it. :(

[attachment=0:1ej6hv1e]DSCF1134 [1024x768].JPG[/attachment:1ej6hv1e]
I immediately sent Tomy at ToToTEK (http://www.tototek.com) an email with pictures explaining the situation. I was happy to see a response from him already today telling me he would be happy to fix the problem and pay for any shipping that is necessary to do so. He said I could even replace the drive myself and he would send me money to cover it.

I'll let everyone know how the situation turns out, but I'm very happy with their customer service so far.

Take care,

Heather

keropi
16th October 2009, 14:25
Tomy is a cool guy , I sure hope that FDD is a bog standard one :thumbsup:
And his flashcards are very good, but I would like to see him upgrade them in both memory and connectivity, parallel port flashing is way to old nowdays, my new pc's don't even have one!

playgeneration
17th October 2009, 14:19
Got a GVP 030 40mhz G-Force accelerator for my 2000, still in its orginal box!. With a bit of experimenting with jumper changes, I eventually coaxed it to work with my GVP HC+8mb scsi card too. Although it does take a while booting with both cards looking for scsi drives when there aren't any, worth it to have 16mb of ram though.

I finally have the power to install OS3.9 which I had never tried before - it sure seems memory hungry though, about 2mb is gone after boot up :shock: I think I'll have to source another two 4mb GVP simms to max out the accelerator and give my 2000 a massive total 25mb of RAM :D

Nathanieltolbert
17th October 2009, 16:36
Isn't there an option to disable the SCSI seeking on that GVP 30 card? If you aren't going to use it right now, why not disable it to increase boot times?

playgeneration
17th October 2009, 17:36
Well thats the thing, disabling the scsi also affects other things. On the G-force 030 it puts the cards RAM into the 2000's 8MB memory space, rather than counting it as 32bit extended RAM. Which also means that the 030 is being held back by slow RAM and loses a good deal of performance. The HC+8 card will not recognise its onboard RAM at all unless the SCSI boot option is enabled on it too.

The only way the two cards will work together properly is if I enable SCSI booting on both, I believe the boot ROMs also control how the cards address their RAM.

AndyLandy
17th October 2009, 17:59
Why not remove the GVP +8 and just use the accelerator's RAM and SCSI? I'd have thought it would be faster to do so.

rkauer
17th October 2009, 18:07
Well thats the thing, disabling the scsi also affects other things. On the G-force 030 it puts the cards RAM into the 2000's 8MB memory space, rather than counting it as 32bit extended RAM. Which also means that the 030 is being held back by slow RAM and loses a good deal of performance. The HC+8 card will not recognise its onboard RAM at all unless the SCSI boot option is enabled on it too.

The only way the two cards will work together properly is if I enable SCSI booting on both, I believe the boot ROMs also control how the cards address their RAM.

IIRC, just remove the 4.xx ROM from the accelerator and then the HC8+ will boot normally without waiting for the Impact polling its (absent) SCSI devices.

playgeneration
17th October 2009, 18:11
Why not remove the GVP +8 and just use the accelerator's RAM and SCSI? I'd have thought it would be faster to do so.

Because then I would have just the accelerators 8MB of RAM, 2mb of which gets munched up straight away with OS3.9! The card can only take 16mb, needs to be GVP simms too, so the extra 8mb on the HC+8 will come in handy if/when I get the 2000 online etc. The accelerators 32bit faster RAM will get used first anyway. I'm using a Buddha IDE card for all three drives in the 2000, not using any SCSI drives at all but the SCSI has to be active on both cards for them to both work properly at the same time.

Anyway, I'm not that bothered about the slow boot times, my original 1200 with its 060 turns on in no time if I need an amiga up and running quickly :thumbsup2:

Harrison
20th October 2009, 15:23
Have you terminated the SCSI on the card if no devices are attached? Not terminating the SCSI can lead to a very long wait before the board will give up and allow it to continue. You can buy termination blocks that can be fitted to the boards port so no cables would be needed.

playgeneration
20th October 2009, 16:38
Have you terminated the SCSI on the card if no devices are attached? Not terminating the SCSI can lead to a very long wait before the board will give up and allow it to continue. You can buy termination blocks that can be fitted to the boards port so no cables would be needed.

I hadn't thought of that, good call. Any links to where I can buy these as cheaply as possible?

Harrison
20th October 2009, 16:56
They might have what you need at http://www.starmount.co.uk/category/208.html

McVenco
24th October 2009, 21:48
No pictures yet, but I got myself a 1.5GHz G4 Mac Mini to run MorphOS!

Harrison
30th October 2009, 15:31
Where did you find a 1.5GHz model? I've been interested in grabbing a G4 Mac Mini for MorphOS, but so far have only seen the older 1.2 and 1.4 models for sale. I understand the 1.5 was the final slightly updated version with some improvements.

r0jaws
30th October 2009, 17:34
Got myself a lovely Amstrad CTM 644 Colour monitor for my CPC464.

Super sweet, it's a vast improvement on the Green screen monochrome. :thumbsup2:

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/r0jaws/Amstrad/AmstradCPC464ColourMonitor0.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/r0jaws/Amstrad/AmstradCPC464ColourMonitor1.jpg

McVenco
2nd November 2009, 07:48
Where did you find a 1.5GHz model? I've been interested in grabbing a G4 Mac Mini for MorphOS, but so far have only seen the older 1.2 and 1.4 models for sale. I understand the 1.5 was the final slightly updated version with some improvements.

The problem is that they were never sold as being 1.5GHz, it's a so called "silent update". The box and stickers on the machine say 1.42GHz, but when you look up the machine info in OS X it says 1.5GHz. (info on Wikipedia here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_Mini#October_2005.E2.80.93February_2006)). Look for a machine that was sold late 2005 / early 2006.

The main difference IMHO is that the 1.5GHz version has 64MB of VRAM, while all other models have only 32MB.

Harrison
2nd November 2009, 17:00
Wasn't there also a way to identify the 1.5 model by the software version of iLife or something on the box?

McVenco
2nd November 2009, 17:21
That I'm not sure of....

SkydivinGirl
3rd November 2009, 00:37
On my way home from Michigan this weekend, I stopped in Ohio and picked up a nice little collection of C= stuff. Unfortunately, nothing has been tested. I want to do that this weekend.

This lot contains:

Nine 1541 Disk Drives[/*:m:1zb58vpm]
One 1581 Disk Drive[/*:m:1zb58vpm]
One 300 Baud Modem[/*:m:1zb58vpm]
One 1350 Mouse[/*:m:1zb58vpm]
Two 1351 Mouse[/*:m:1zb58vpm]
Six C64 Computers[/*:m:1zb58vpm]
Two C64C Computers[/*:m:1zb58vpm]
One C128 Computer[/*:m:1zb58vpm]
Two C128D Computers (only one keyboard)[/*:m:1zb58vpm]
One Commodore PC-10 III Computer[/*:m:1zb58vpm]
One 1702 Monitor[/*:m:1zb58vpm]
Plus some other miscellaneous items. :)

Take care,

Heather

quarkx
3rd November 2009, 05:34
On my way home from Michigan this weekend, I stopped in Ohio and picked up a nice little collection of C= stuff. Unfortunately, nothing has been tested. I want to do that this weekend.

This lot contains:

Nine 1541 Disk Drives[/*:m:32wqtgh0]
One 1581 Disk Drive[/*:m:32wqtgh0]
One 300 Baud Modem[/*:m:32wqtgh0]
One 1350 Mouse[/*:m:32wqtgh0]
Two 1351 Mouse[/*:m:32wqtgh0]
Six C64 Computers[/*:m:32wqtgh0]
Two C64C Computers[/*:m:32wqtgh0]
One C128 Computer[/*:m:32wqtgh0]
Two C128D Computers (only one keyboard)[/*:m:32wqtgh0]
One Commodore PC-10 III Computer[/*:m:32wqtgh0]
One 1702 Monitor[/*:m:32wqtgh0]
Plus some other miscellaneous items. :)

Take care,

Heather
Sweet! Lucky lucky! 2 128D's and a PC-10 my god! All I got this week was a NOS 1531 Dattasette and a boxed T- 1341 Joystick with 10 Cassette games (actually last week on the joystick and games) for the TEDS.
I have a C16 and a 64C "test pilot" box set coming and another plus/4. The other 2 plus/4's were NFG/DOA. :banghead:

SkydivinGirl
3rd November 2009, 14:36
That's a nice bit of kit you picked up as well quarkx! I don't have any accessories, except for a Pirate Adventure game cartridge, for my C16 or Plus/4 yet. Hopefully I'll be able to get some of those accessories soon.

Take care,

Heather

Merlin
3rd November 2009, 14:50
:drool:

That is all.

quarkx
3rd November 2009, 14:51
That's a nice bit of kit you picked up as well quarkx! I don't have any accessories, except for a Pirate Adventure game cartridge, for my C16 or Plus/4 yet. Hopefully I'll be able to get some of those accessories soon.

Take care,

Heather
Yes, All I need now is a1551 disk drive, a 1801 monitor and a black 801 printer, then my TED collection will be complete with North America stuff. Still wish I could find a C116 though.
I also got a NOS disk game from infocom called "Cutthroats" it can be played on both the Plus/4 and or the C64. My loard, infocom put a lot of inserts in the box- maps catalogs, books etc. all for a text adventure game.
-Glen

quarkx
6th November 2009, 19:41
Got the C64C testpilot package in, everything works like a charm. Inside the big box were 2 mint boxes -the C64C box and the 1541-11 box, but it was missing the GEOS Disk-which I really wanted to play with.
Yesterday, got the C16 in and , SURPRISE, it is dead also:banghead:
(I am not having luck with TED machines up until today).
Today, I got another Plus/4 in, this one works, but the keyboard is flakey.

I am getting in soon a 128, It doesn't have a power supply. anyone have a spare to trade for something? (since I can't buy anything from here):inlove:

I have 2 spare Plus/4 power supplies and a C16 Power supply:shrug:

SkydivinGirl
6th November 2009, 20:03
Sorry about all the TED issues you're having. :( I may have a spare 128 power supply. I'll look this weekend and let you know. Do you have any spare TED accessories? :-D

Heather

quarkx
6th November 2009, 20:22
Sorry about all the TED issues you're having. :( I may have a spare 128 power supply. I'll look this weekend and let you know. Do you have any spare TED accessories? :-D

Heather
Not yet, just the 2 extra power supplies and 2 machines for parts. I will keep you updated though. Incidentally there is a 3rd party cassette deck (NOS) on the other bay right now ($27), it has an adapter for the TED series. E-mail me if you want more details.

rkauer
9th November 2009, 02:28
Not exactly new (the keyboard need an urgent retr0bright treatment), but now it's mine!:grin:

It's a Brazilian MSX with 3 companion cartridges and full working condition. Gave away to me for free from my son-in-law-to-be.:mrgreen:

WAIT A MINUTE!!!

He grab my daughter!:****ed:

AndyLandy
9th November 2009, 08:50
Not exactly new (the keyboard need an urgent retr0bright treatment), but now it's mine!:grin:

It's a Brazilian MSX with 3 companion cartridges and full working condition. Gave away to me for free from my son-in-law-to-be.:mrgreen:

WAIT A MINUTE!!!

He grab my daughter!:****ed:

They say "Fair exchange is no robbery":woot: :run:

playgeneration
16th November 2009, 20:56
Got a Cybervision 64/3D card for my Amiga 2000 today, I'm loving having a 24bit graphics amiga at long last. However it does seem pretty slow, slower than AGA in some regards. I suppose some of this can be attributed to running OS3.9 and its processor hungry icon set, and the limited bandwidth of ZorroII. But is there anything I can do to speed things up?

Oh and is the 3D bit actually used by anything? :D

woodycool
16th November 2009, 21:08
@ r0jaws, love the CPC 464 .... they're a beautiful machine.

Recently, I got my hands on the following:

MMBEEB interface for BBC Micro model B or BBC Master (using it on my B at the moment)
Amstrad GX4000 with Burning Rubber cartridge
a batch of C16 games (loose)
an unboxed (and quite yellow) SNES
a batch of BBC Micro games (all boxed and in mint condish)
a batch on Amstrad CPC games on 3" disc

so that's a good lot.
Oh, also managed to get my ZX81 Composite modded.
Just need a replacement keyboard for it.

Hessu
17th November 2009, 19:46
Got myself a lovely Amstrad CTM 644 Colour monitor for my CPC464.

Super sweet, it's a vast improvement on the Green screen monochrome. :thumbsup2:

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/r0jaws/Amstrad/AmstradCPC464ColourMonitor0.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/r0jaws/Amstrad/AmstradCPC464ColourMonitor1.jpg
Ahh, this brings me some memoirs of playing the Battle of Tobruk with my friend a long time ago, when i too owned this nice Amstrad CPC464, paid a fortune from this with a colour monitor at those days... Sadly enough, i didn't save it :( ( :nuts: Me )

J.T.Kirk
17th November 2009, 23:39
:Doh:

Samantha Fox. I remember myself, as I brat, playing this game every day on my Amstrad CPC 6128 computer back in 1985... :whistle:

quarkx
24th November 2009, 02:58
I just got my first C128 in. The box is a bit squished but intact. No power supply or system disks, but they are coming!
It came with a mouse, but I believe this is a regular Amiga mouse, as it is exactly the same as all my other Amiga mice. The seller didn't know, just included it in the sale.
I do not have the C1471 disk drives, but I have 2 1441's. Slowly I will bild this up -if it works.

SkydivinGirl
24th November 2009, 13:25
Excellent find! I use a C128 as my primary 8-Bit C= system. It really is a great device! I hardly ever use actual floppy disks but I have multiple 1571 drives. Let me know if you ever need any accessories because I have quite a few. :)

Ooh, on a follow-up to my an older post of mine in this thread, I managed to get my Game Doctor SF7 for the SNES working! I found out that I need at least one game with a DSP chip in order to run certain games from the internal memory of the SF7. I'll do a full review of the device later. Even though they are not made new any more, they are easily obtainable from ToToTek.

Cheers!

Heather

quarkx
24th November 2009, 13:46
Excellent find! I use a C128 as my primary 8-Bit C= system. It really is a great device! I hardly ever use actual floppy disks but I have multiple 1571 drives. Let me know if you ever need any accessories because I have quite a few. :)

Ooh, on a follow-up to my an older post of mine in this thread, I managed to get my Game Doctor SF7 for the SNES working! I found out that I need at least one game with a DSP chip in order to run certain games from the internal memory of the SF7. I'll do a full review of the device later. Even though they are not made new any more, they are easily obtainable from ToToTek.

Cheers!

Heather
The C128 is like all Commodore Computers, just OK, out of the box. It is not until you add a few Disk Drives, an REM and a monitor like the 1040, and a Video Ram upgrade, that it's true potential starts to show.
I was surprised by its size though, its only about half an inch wider than the C64C, but a lot bigger in Depth. It feels like a "true" computer, compared to the other 8 bitter's out there.
It's really kind of "weired". When I jumped from a CoCo2 to a CoCo3 (for example), there was really no difference in the systems to the user, except you had 128 K of Ram instead of the 64K. Here, Jumping from the C 64 to the 128, you actually feel like its a whole different beast, except when its in 64 mode. I know that sounds crazy. I look forward to doing a full comparison between the 2 machines (CoCo3 VS. C128).

keropi
2nd December 2009, 06:43
FINALLY , Cave gave in and made it's newer shooter Region Free!!! Just grabbed it!

Mushihimesama Futari Ver 1.5

http://i.ebayimg.com/08/!Bf7oU9QBWk~$(KGrHqUOKkUEr(M9OcScBLDPE7Rnfw~~_12.JPG

oh, and I grabbed powerpie5000's switchless modded SNES:

http://i.ebayimg.com/15/!Bfii)N!Bmk~$(KGrHqYOKi4Erzu!HI5kBLBt2PfWnQ~~_12.JPG

Harrison
2nd December 2009, 10:28
I got hold of a new AR Action Replay Max for the original Xbox. Includes an 8MB memory card, and a memory card to usb cable to transfer files between the PC and Xbox. Used it Monday night to softmod the xbox with the Krayzie Ndure mod. Worked perfectly. :)

Next to FTP over some apps and emulators to the Xbox. Starting with the XMBC Media centre.

Sorry no pictures.

keropi
2nd December 2009, 10:42
I got hold of a new AR Action Replay Max for the original Xbox. Includes an 8MB memory card, and a memory card to usb cable to transfer files between the PC and Xbox. Used it Monday night to softmod the xbox with the Krayzie Ndure mod. Worked perfectly. :)

Next to FTP over some apps and emulators to the Xbox. Starting with the XMBC Media centre.

Sorry no pictures.

now you need to install a bigger HDD, visit snesorama.us xbox->emu section and start filling the HDD :thumbsup:

Harrison
2nd December 2009, 14:37
I was considering upgrading the HDD, but at the moment I see no need. I've installed the emulators I wanted on the Xbox, but am accessing the roms I want to play over the network from my emulation PC which is holding all of my main rom collections on its 4TB of HDD space. ;)

I also installed XBMC 9 Babylon on the Xbox last night and that is probably what the system is going to be used the most with. I added it as an App though rather than as a complete replacement for EvoX so I have both to use. I was never that impressed with XBMC on the PC, but it makes much more sense on the Xbox. Streams music, pictures, and DivX videos with 5.1 digital perfectly.

I might still add a bigger HD at a later date so I can load up my favourite Xbox games into the HDD, but for the moment I'm happy loading them from disc.

tiffers
4th December 2009, 08:11
Hi all,

I was recently given this lot by a local who had originally wanted around $600 for it:

Amiga 500 R? (with power brick)
- badly yellowed
- KS1.3
- 512kb RAM Expansion
- Tank Mouse
A1010 External FDD
A520 modulator

Amiga 1200 (v 1D3) + 230W AT PSU with A1200 power plug
- No yellowing(!!)
- KS v3.1
- 880kb internal fdd
- Paragon 25MHz 040 accelerator with 4MB RAM (Rebadged Apollo 1240)
Catweasle MK2 + PC-Floppy in hacked (Californian Access) external case (messy cables hanging from a cut in the side of the case)
External HDD (600MB) in IDE Draw (messy cables hanging from a cut in the side of the case)
External CD-ROM - 'bolted' to the IDE draw (seems flaky. Probably because of no buffer interface. Messy cable as above)
2 mouses (1 3rd party amiga mouse and 1 microsoft mouse - haven't tried this one)
1x External Californian Access 880kb fdd
C= 23-pin to 15-pin video adaptor
Commodore 1960 monitor

I want to clean the A1200 up by fitting the following:
40gb 2.5" hdd (ditch the external drive *shudder*)
A1200 hdd cradle and short 44-pin ide cable.
Slim-line CD-RW drive (fitted internally)
4-port buffered IDE interface + IDEFix software
Neat socket for external FDD
PCMCIA network card

All I need to get is the buffered interface, PCMCIA card and a socket and cabling for the catweasle floppy interface.

The A1200 board has some weird hack going on with the Gayle chip, has a transistor and a couple of resistors soldered onto it. All those nice mods which clip over the Gayle are out :( (Unless I can remove it.) Does anyone know what this might be for? I took a photo when I had it out the other day, I should post it.

I'm not a collector, but I am trying to learn Amiga software development. I'd love to get this puppy ship-shape and along with my nicely expanded A500, swap the lot for a Sam440ep Flex board - or sell the lot for enough funds to buy a Sam flex and OS4.1 disk)

tiffers

rkauer
4th December 2009, 15:12
The Gayle "thing" is the PCMCIA reset fix.

If you want to use something that is not a RAM expansion in the PCMCIA port and want the device recognized by the Amiga at boot time without sacking it out and in again, leave this piece alone. Or redo the solder job in a better way.

Tahoe
14th December 2009, 17:19
Found something very, very rare. Only aprox. 200 of these machines were sold to dealers as demo units, not to be sold to end users. I somehow managed to acquire one, it's the earliest revision A2000 made in West Chester, a revision 3.9.

The first image show the silkscreen revision number. A sticker says rev 3.9.

The second is the Buster Tower, the first busters had a bug which was fixed with an extra PAL chip, this tower was specially designed to fix this bug.

Third picture is an overview of the board, it looks quite similar to the latter revision 4.x boards (not to be confused with the german version)

Last picture shows the shielding. This is the only Amiga 2000 board i have ever seen that has a full metal shilding around it, much like the A500. It is even obvious this shielding is made by hand. The shielding covers the rear connectors, the whole bottom of the board an the front keyboard/mouse connectors.

SkydivinGirl
14th December 2009, 18:50
It took a little while, but Tomy at ToToTek sent me a new floppy drive and a 9VDC power adapter to fix the Doctor SF7 I ordered from him. Everything is now working 100%! It really is a neat device that lets you backup your SNES carts to floppy disks and store them in internal RAM memory to play the games without the cart inserted.

I found out you need to have a cartridge inserted that contains one of the special audio chips in order to play games from RAM that also require that audio chip to run correctly, such as Mario Kart. The good thing is you can just keep Mario Kart plugged into the Doctor SF7 then play any game that requires the audio chip from the Doctor's internal RAM.

The only real downside to the device is that you need to keep power going to the device at all times because the ram is volatile and goes away when the power does. Until they come out with a good flash cart for the SNES, this is pretty darned good.

Heather

http://www.tototek.com/store/images/SNES/dr7.jpg

AndyLandy
14th December 2009, 19:28
The only real downside to the device is that you need to keep power going to the device at all times because the ram is volatile and goes away when the power does. Until they come out with a good flash cart for the SNES, this is pretty darned good.

I guess that's one way to guarantee the device isn't being used for piracy!

SkydivinGirl
14th December 2009, 19:57
I guess that's one way to guarantee the device isn't being used for piracy!
As with just about any backup device, this can be used to play ROMs without the original cartridge. Because of that, it can be used for good or nefarious purposes. It's also got a parallel port for hooking to a PC to transfer your backed up images so you don't necessarily have to use the floppy disk drive at all.

To me, the great aspect of this device is being able to backup your carts to your computer and save the wear and tear of plugging and unplugging carts in your SNES. :)

Heather

Bootay
16th December 2009, 23:03
Until they come out with a good flash cart for the SNES, this is pretty darned good.

Heather

Heather...they did make a good flash cart just recently FYI. The SNES Powerpak by RetroUSB...a little pricey but well worth it. It unfortunately does not support all of the special chipsets so Starfox is not playable. But DSP1 games are if the DSP chip is added with the order. All games run from CF cards. The NES Powerpak is really awesome as well. Check them out.

UberFreak
17th December 2009, 07:06

I thought the PCMCIA fix can be done with a single capacitor?

SkydivinGirl
17th December 2009, 14:06
Heather...they did make a good flash cart just recently FYI. The SNES Powerpak by RetroUSB...a little pricey but well worth it.
LOL! It figures I would have missed this one. :) I actually have the NES PowerPak from the same developer for my Nintendo Entertainment System. It's a great cartridge and I'll definitely pick up the SNES one when it's available again.

On another note, I finally won a Colecovision for a reasonable price on the other bay. :)

Heather

rkauer
17th December 2009, 16:19

I thought the PCMCIA fix can be done with a single capacitor?

Can be done with a single capacitor, a transistor with two companion resistors or a board for people which don't like to solder anything in the motherboard.

Those Gayle adapters also can be part of an IDEFix express solution if they have the pin header.

quarkx
17th December 2009, 18:41
On another note, I finally won a Colecovision for a reasonable price on the other bay. :)

Heather

Good score heather, I am trying to "convince" one of my buddies to give his CV to me, he had/has just about every cart and expansion that you could get back in the '80s. We spent many many hours on that unit back in the day.
Ahh Coleco....
Once THE company for toys and games. It was hard in the '70 and '80, NOT to have Coleco toys, plastic out door pools, REAL lawn darts etc.. it breaks my heart that kids these days will never know that the Colecovision was the last great product from a once mighty company...only to be killed by those horrid Cabbage patch kids.
I am not sure if Coleco products had ever been as popular in the UK, But they were a house hold name in North America

SkydivinGirl
17th December 2009, 21:29
I can't agree with you more! Coleco was a staple in the toy industry in the USA. And yes, I had a Cabbage Patch Kid that I loved very much. :) I was a young girl, after all!

On another note, I got my X-Mas bonus at work today and promptly ordered the SNES PowerPak! It was not available to order earlier today but I checked again and the Buy button was available. :) I'll write a nice review once I get it.

Yay!

Heather

Bootay
18th December 2009, 00:10
@SkydivinGirl:

Good score on the SNES Powerpak and the Coleco. I do not have either Powerpaks but I have seen them in action and I will be ordering both soon. I am an avid console and classic computer collector. I also want to get the flash cart for the ColecoVision by Atari Max. And Smurf Rescue on the Coleco was my favorite. LOL

http://www.atarimax.com/usbcoleco/documentation/

quarkx
18th December 2009, 06:45
I can't agree with you more! Coleco was a staple in the toy industry in the USA. And yes, I had a Cabbage Patch Kid that I loved very much. :) I was a young girl, after all!
Heather

Along with "My little Pony" "Strawberry Shortcake" and the classic Barbie (did you have the 'Vette?) Looks like you were a bit too old for "Hello Kitty" but you probably had a Jem (i remember Jem,because it came on right before the transformers cartoon on Saturdays). (or at least watched the show)and yes I have a sister (although 2 years older).
LOL.
Ah the "80's, before all this internet glitz.
-Glen

keropi
18th December 2009, 07:00
I got some older X360 games yesterday

Onechanbara Bikini Samurai Squad
Gears of War
Gears of War 2
Tombraider Underworld Limited Edition
Ninja Gaiden 2

and I am STILL waiting for Mushihimesama Futari :mad:

SkydivinGirl
18th December 2009, 15:08
@Keropi

Nice haul! I really enjoy my XBOX 360. I bought the new Modern Warfare 2 bundle because my other Elite RROD'd on me. I picked up an RROD repair kit and plan on installing it next week. So much to do, so little time. :)

I also want to get the flash cart for the ColecoVision by Atari Max. And Smurf Rescue on the Coleco was my favorite. LOL
That's actually next on my list. :) I'm waiting for the ColecoVision to actually arrive and test it before I spend the money. Smurf Rescue was also one of my favorites! I always loved getting to the end where you jump up on the skull. I would always turn away from the skull and "duck" to stick the smurfs butt in the skull's face. :) Childish, I know, but it made me laugh!

My favorite ColecoVision game had to be Venture and of course Donkey Kong/Donkey Kong Jr. I'm going to mod the system when I get it to install composite A/V jacks.

@quarkx

Yep! I had lots of Strawberry Shortcake stuff, including a doll you would squeeze and a Strawberry smell came out of her mouth. I also had lots of Smurfs, some My Little Pony stuff. I always wanted a Teddy Ruxpin but never got one. :( I was never much into Barbie. She was a little too stuck up. :wink:

Heather

Bootay
18th December 2009, 15:54
Hmm...I replied to this thread but it said that it had to be reviewed by a moderator. Probably because I posted a link...anyhow I just wanted to tell SkydivinGirl about the Coleco flash cart from Atarimax. And I loved to play the Smurf Rescue game on the ColecoVision. LOL

SkydivinGirl
18th December 2009, 16:04
@Bootay,

I saw that post earlier. Odd that you had problems. :( Let me know if you have any more so we can look into it. :thumbsup:

Heather

quarkx
18th December 2009, 18:56
Hmm...I replied to this thread but it said that it had to be reviewed by a moderator. Probably because I posted a link...anyhow I just wanted to tell SkydivinGirl about the Coleco flash cart from Atarimax. And I loved to play the Smurf Rescue game on the ColecoVision. LOL
Ah! the Smurf game! one of the first games with nudity as an easter egg! LOL If you really want to see smurfette topless:p

SkydivinGirl
21st December 2009, 13:53
On another note, I got my X-Mas bonus at work today and promptly ordered the SNES PowerPak!
I ordered this on Thursday and it arrived at my house on Saturday!!! :woot:

There's a decent sized list of games that it will not play and working with Saved Games is not the easiest but all-in-all it's a wonderful cartridge. If you've seen or used the NES PowerPak, the SNES PowerPak works exactly the same. :)

Happy Holidays!

Heather

RedDaemonFox
21st December 2009, 17:38
Hey SDG, does it run DSP/SFX games like starfox, and maybe will it run, *gasp* starfox 2???! :bowdown: :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

quarkx
21st December 2009, 20:25
I finally got my "boxed" C16 in. It works, but the box is toast as you can see. It will do until I can find a better condition one.
The sad thing is that this unit has "yellowed" over the years, changing the black to a brown plastic. You can't see it in the photos, but close up, it looks terrible. even the keys are a multi shade of brown.
I also was a bit disappointed that no manual came with it, but hey for $16, you can't be too picky...

RedDaemonFox
21st December 2009, 20:30
And yes, I had a Cabbage Patch Kid that I loved very much. :) I was a young girl, after all!

Hey, would you want to keep your soul? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTR0w1hzRLo&feature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTR0w1hzRLo&feature=related)

AndyLandy
21st December 2009, 20:32
The sad thing is that this unit has "yellowed" over the years, changing the black to a brown plastic. You can't see it in the photos, but close up, it looks terrible. even the keys are a multi shade of brown.

I wonder how well Retr0bright would perform on black/grey plastics. Might be worth looking into?

quarkx
21st December 2009, 20:40

I wonder how well Retr0bright would perform on black/grey plastics. Might be worth looking into?

Unfortunately, I have searched here in my home town, and too get the required solution of HP is ALMOST impossible. I am waiting to see if someone is brave enough to sell a "Complete" package of all required components, because if you just ask for a HP solution of other than .03 %, they are likely to call the cops on you here. I have been to Chemical supply companies, Hair care and salon supply companies and so on, so far, its almost impossible.

Also, because the original box is in such bad condition (yes its water stained too) the careful restoration of the computer would be a total waist of time since the box is toast. If the box was in mint ir even somewhat nice condition, then it would totally be worth the effort to get the unit back to nice shape. Right now, the unit matches the condition of the box.

SkydivinGirl
21st December 2009, 21:12
Hey SDG, does it run DSP/SFX games like starfox, and maybe will it run, *gasp* starfox 2???!
If you pay the extra $11 for the DSP chip then it works with games that require DSP. :) Here's an incompatibility list (http://www.retrousb.com/downloads/incompatibilitylist.html) from the developer's site. As you can tell from the list, there are a decent amount of special chips that are not yet supported. The good thing is the cartridge firmware can be flashed for future support.

I finally got my "boxed" C16 in. It works, but the box is toast as you can see. It will do until I can find a better condition one.
I'm glad you finally got your C16. They seemed to be all over the other bay right after I bought mine so I definitely paid more than I could have. Luckily, my machine is not yellowed and the box is in decent shape. Of course, you got a wonderful deal on yours. :)

Good catch!

Heather

keropi
23rd December 2009, 13:21
just got some xmas presents for the best person in the world that I know (it's me in case anyone wonders :whistle: ) :p:p:p:p

http://i.ebayimg.com/01/!Bhz)qHwB2k~$(KGrHqQOKkYEsmmLlje4BLK9w-GQh!~~_35.JPG http://i.ebayimg.com/16/!BgEZs+Q!Wk~$(KGrHqIOKjQEry)gYb6dBLDwvMoL9w~~_35.JPG http://i.ebayimg.com/16/!Bhz6SMQ!Wk~$(KGrHqEH-DMEsJhYS,QQBLK-UiPGWg~~_35.JPG http://www.dvd.co.uk/images/standard/MS12848.jpg http://i.ebayimg.com/02/!BdyFOy!B2k~$(KGrHqQH-CoErfrP)ChJBK6cy3ZeVQ~~_35.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/01/!BgmZ5(w!Wk~$(KGrHqIH-DgEsL)chdEKBLF7Hr6JIw~~_12.JPG http://i19.ebayimg.com/02/i/001/38/26/3935_12.JPG

http://i18.ebayimg.com/01/i/001/3b/c5/4833_12.JPG http://i.ebayimg.com/15/!BiCW8sQBWk~$(KGrHqYOKiwEsnp6WgBBBLM((lnLog~~_12.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/14/!Bf)(B,wBmk~$(KGrHqIH-E!ErfPg8M,1BLClfu4Qm!~~_12.JPG http://i.ebayimg.com/22/!BdnR5u!!Wk~$(KGrHqEH-DMErc6Ln,HIBK5t22!q0Q~~_12.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/14/!BbLvESgBmk~$(KGrHqYH-DwEqusu!TVJBKu0Rkz!Ww~~_12.JPG http://i.ebayimg.com/16/!BbLuc,g!Wk~$(KGrHqYH-EQEqv,dywINBKu0N1F7F!~~_12.JPG

J.T.Kirk
23rd December 2009, 13:32
All these crappy games for this CRAPPY console from CrappySoft is for you pasok-m8? :p

keropi
23rd December 2009, 13:53
that's right, all mine!
I had to choose my next-gen console: either the CRAPPY console or the ultraCRAPPY3 one... so I did the sane thing and got the CRAPPY one... :lol:

J.T.Kirk
23rd December 2009, 13:56
I believe that ultraCrappy3 console it's much better than this Crappy360 console you've got.:nod:

keropi
23rd December 2009, 14:15
you believe wrong, because you have it :p
sales say otherwise as do the games that come out for the ps3. In papers it is great , and it has some nice exclusives, but sadly developers just can't work with it...
it comes to mind the ID's statements regarding their new engine: they said that the pc and 360 version easily reach 60fps , whereas the ps3 one is limited to 30fps.
80% of games available in both platforms look and behave better on the 360 , that alone says it all.

as a sidenote, I pick the ps2 anytime instead of xbox1, but this round belongs to ms (actually it belongs to nintendo but the wii can't compete technically with the 360 and ps3...)

keropi
23rd December 2009, 19:35
back on topic...

http://www.cobhc.com/bilder/skele.jpg

Merlin
23rd December 2009, 20:36
@ the console fanboys in here..... keep it down lads, or bad things may happen....:wooha:

J.T.Kirk
23rd December 2009, 20:44
@ Merlin

In Amiga I trust! (only)

quarkx
24th December 2009, 20:21
Merry HoHO to you all.
I just got in my 64K VDC memory upgrade for my C128.
For those that don't know, the C128 only shipped with 16K of video memory and the C128D had 64K. You need 64K for most 128 graphics applications. I also got a file 6 browser rom for free. Now, All I have left is the heat sinks so I can toss the stupid RF shield (which acts as a huge heat sink) and the 128 is done for now.

SkydivinGirl
25th December 2009, 02:00
@quarkx

You know I'm a huge 8-Bit C= fan. I'd love to see some pictures in the photo booth when you get it finished. :)

I recently purchased JiffyDOS for my C128 from Jim Brain. He sent me the new ROM-el chips programmed with legal versions of JiffyDOS for both my C128 and SX-64. I installed the ones in my C128 but haven't gotten around to the SX-64 yet. It really works great!

Happy Holidays!

Heather

gazcbm
26th December 2009, 10:37
Yay look what I got for Christmas

r0jaws
26th December 2009, 15:46
I was very lucky indeedy,

A Sony eBook reader (Yay!)
MP3@64,
Subway USB Controller,
IDE to SATA Adapter (for Amiga)
and about 2 dozen socks.
Sweet!
:D:D

TheCorfiot
27th December 2009, 20:00
I had an XBox 360 Elite to compliment my PS 3 :p

TC :shhh:

jvdbossc
28th December 2009, 10:32
It has a memory expansion and yes hard disk! :readit:

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2390/23276556.jpg

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/5051/232765562.jpg

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/4130/232765563.jpg

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/438/232765564.jpg

http://yfrog.com/09232765564j

---------- Post added at 11:32 ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 ----------

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/2390/23276556.th.jpg (http://img709.imageshack.us/i/23276556.jpg/)

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/5051/232765562.th.jpg (http://img709.imageshack.us/i/232765562.jpg/)

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/4130/232765563.th.jpg (http://img709.imageshack.us/i/232765563.jpg/)

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/438/232765564.th.jpg (http://img710.imageshack.us/i/232765564.jpg/):bowdown:

Plans with this is to use it to unpack adf files, put the AmigaManiac rom switcher in and use it as a legacy(retro) system.

quarkx
30th December 2009, 19:25
@SDG
Ok, here is a quick update on my 128.
I had ordered a couple of packages of "RAM heatsinks" off of ebay from China. They were only a few bucks with shipping and they had the "Tape" on the back, so I could mount them. They came in today and turned out to be a lot smaller than I had anticipated.
The "long" ones are 2.1 cm (.08 inches) and the square ones are exactly half an inch (1.4 CM) I thought they would be a bit big for the chips, but these may be too small for a proper job. I will keep you all informed, but for the price, I can probably find something to use them on. the "long ones" fit the ram chips perfectly though LOL (not that they heat up), but I might have to use a few on the CPUS and such

The last picture is what I hope to accomplish with the sinks, so I can turf the RF shield and have easy access to my motherboard.

moijk
30th December 2009, 23:22
@ the console fanboys in here..... keep it down lads, or bad things may happen....:wooha:

As long as people don't support Microsoft, who has their fist in everybodys pockets when it comes to os, browser, office-software and is reaching deep when it comes to development (.net) and servers (iis, exchange etc) and now putting their sweaty filthy hands in others for music player (zune) and game console (xbox) - I'm happy.

Sony won their share by delivering a solid platform (playstation) when Sega was launching a new console/addon in a pace that would put even the biggest fan in dismay, and Nintendo were crusing along on their fame (and of course not without reason).

xbox won their share by trowing a shitload of cash into buying companies or just buying their exclusivity. It is the game beeing played, but it's hardly a good way to fight.

However, the games I enjoy is on the cd32 or the snes. ;)

quarkx
31st December 2009, 00:28

As long as people don't support Microsoft, who has their fist in everybodys pockets when it comes to os, browser, office-software and is reaching deep when it comes to development (.net) and servers (iis, exchange etc) and now putting their sweaty filthy hands in others for music player (zune) and game console (xbox) - I'm happy.

Sony won their share by delivering a solid platform (playstation) when Sega was launching a new console/addon in a pace that would put even the biggest fan in dismay, and Nintendo were crusing along on their fame (and of course not without reason).

xbox won their share by trowing a shitload of cash into buying companies or just buying their exclusivity. It is the game beeing played, but it's hardly a good way to fight.

However, the games I enjoy is on the cd32 or the snes. ;)

And your point about Microsoft is? :Doh:
I hate to say it, but Microsoft is a CORPORATION, and this is exactly what corporations do! I am proud to back up and support Microsoft. They are up front and honest, not like Apple, who on the surface is shiny happy hippies, but are more evil than you could ever even begin to accuse Microsoft of EVER EVER being.- to the point of having an internal Gestapo and brain washing not only their employees, but customers. Now Apple wants to persecute the owners of their products who are smokers (another-words, it wants smokers to not buy an apple and just go to ****). It amazes me just how much Steve and the Apple boys are following the teachings of xxxx. I wouldn't own an apple product if I was paid to (no matter how "good" people believe that thier phones are. - I might take a nice LISA for the computer collection though LOL. Man, I could write a hundred page essay on the EVILS of Apple.

but we are getting way off topic.

rkauer
31st December 2009, 02:32
My Christmas package came today!

Let's see if you guys (and gals) can identify all of those:

BTW: someone have a DB23 to DB9 cable rolling around?

r0jaws
31st December 2009, 09:38
[QUOTE=moijk;43166]..... They are up front and honest, not like Apple, who on the surface is shiny happy hippies, but are more evil than you could ever even begin to accuse Microsoft of EVER EVER being.- to the point of having an internal Gestapo and brain washing not only their employees, but customers. Now Apple wants to persecute the owners of their products who are smokers (another-words, it wants smokers to not buy an apple and just go to ****). It amazes me just how much Steve and the Apple boys are following the teachings of xxxx....... Man, I could write a hundred page essay on the EVILS of Apple.

That is the most ridiculous and offensive collection of Fanboi rubbish I have ever heard.
I am offended that you have come onto here and had the audacity to compare anybody to xxxx just to make a point.
He was a mass murderer of the most vile proportions, and to bandy his name around to support a product choice is demeaning and offensive.

Not only is is completely off topic, but you have all been warned by Merlin to leave it alone.

Please take it to another forum.

chain
31st December 2009, 09:58
http://www.familyvideo.com/catalog/images/games/19/2003819.jpg

:D

imnogeek
31st December 2009, 11:19
@quarkx & moijk

PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC :nono:

This thread is for posting if you have something new, if you do not then please move along.

Gary

J.T.Kirk
31st December 2009, 11:36
Perhaps they have indeed something new. Experiences from their companies...?:whistle:

Zetr0
31st December 2009, 12:41
I got -

A Sephiroth Action Figure (FF7: Advent Children)
http://japanesetoylink.com/Kotobukiya/Figures/images/KOTF-FFVIIAC018img1.jpg

A Clothing Voucher from my Mumsykins

A SCSI to IDE converter
http://www.finestcomputers.co.uk/FinC/BigBoxAmigas/IDE-SCSI/IMG_1184.jpg

A PC/PS3 and PS2 Dual Shock Controller (makes 2 now)
http://www.winwinzone.co.uk/winwin/400/GA358/GA358_g.jpg

A 3 port Auto / Remot HDMI Switch
http://i.ebayimg.com/11/!Bd()z2QBGk~$(KGrHqYOKjgEq5WLHhn5BK4ocBR2dw~~_12.JPG

A PS3 Slim 250GB + DVD Remote
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2009/08/ps3slim580_081709.jpg
With Games

Bionic Commando *damn addictive!*
The Club
Fracture
MiniNinja's *Hillarious Fun!!*
Silent Hill: Home Comming

With Blu-Ray Movies

Batman: The Dark Knight
Xmen Origins:Wolverine

recently I have set up my PC as a media server to my PS3, I have since then remote-playe'd my PSP... and I am now watching movies on my PSP from the network via Wireless....

Infact I can now access my Media Store anywhere where there is internet and watch movies / audio / media I have stored.. I can even turn on/off my PS3 remotely with my PSP from anywhere in the world...

yes.... awesomeness just got BUMP'd!!!

also got some deoderant... and chocolate.... from the family....

okay I get the message with the deoderant.... but I am diabetic... what gives with the chocolate? lol

SkydivinGirl
31st December 2009, 15:24
@quarkx

Too bad about the heat sinks being too small. Let me know what you come up with. :)

@Zetr0

That's a nice bit of stuff you got! Where did you get the SCSI to IDE adapter? I'm going to need one of those soon. :) How do you like the PS3 Slim? It looks really cute.

@All

My new Ooma Hub (http://www.ooma.com/) will be arriving today. This is a great device that gives people in the USA a VOIP home telephone service that includes all the features, such as Caller ID, Call Waiting, Voice Mail, etc, for a one time fee. You buy the box once then never have to pay another bill! The only limits on the service are 5000 outgoing minutes per month, unlimited incoming minutes with free calling throughout the USA. You can pay a $10 per month fee to get additional features, but the basic service is free forever (or until the company goes out of business).

http://media.obsessable.com/media/2008/11/25/300/ooma-hub-1.jpg

There's a newer version of their device that I could have bought, but there's a $12 per year regulatory fee on the new devices but no fees on the older model. I purchased this to have an additional telephone line available and I'm hoping that it does good enough to be used as a modem line for calling bulletin board systems. If it does well, I may even start my own BBS again.

Happy New Year!

Heather

rkauer
31st December 2009, 15:43
:hijacked:

Heather, there are a few seller in EvilBay selling those Acard bridges for USD35 or less. Posting from Europe will be expensive for you.

SkydivinGirl
31st December 2009, 15:55
Thanks rkauer! I'll check out evilbay in the USA to see if there might be something there. :)

Take care,

Heather

quarkx
31st December 2009, 17:48
@quarkx

Too bad about the heat sinks being too small. Let me know what you come up with. :)

Happy New Year!

Heather

Actually Heather, they (the square ones) are almost the perfect width for the Chips, but most of the "longer" chips (like the Video) take about 4 to cover them. I would recommend that if one does take this route with the 128, order about 5 cards of them. They look fantastic and very tidy when mounted. I just have to wait until more come in. The Adhesive Tape holds them in place great, but the long ones kind of look bad when you offset them to try to cover a whole chip.

SkydivinGirl
28th January 2010, 14:16
Just picked up an Individual Computers Competition Pro joystick from the other bay. This auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280448741510) has a Buy It Now or Best Offer. I offered $2.99 less and they accepted. :)

http://i.ebayimg.com/17/%21BhEedtgCGk%7E$%28KGrHqYH-E%21EsMUcCoLuBLHmE7DuCw%7E%7E_12.JPG

Ciao!

Heather

J.T.Kirk
28th January 2010, 15:21
Happy gaming then. :thumbsup:

gazcbm
7th February 2010, 21:13
My New Arrival :-( Gutted

r0jaws
7th February 2010, 21:42
That is a damn shame buddy. Was it sent by courier or Post Office?

J.T.Kirk
7th February 2010, 22:41
Oh c'mon. Who send this one to you m8? That's awful.

AndyLandy
7th February 2010, 23:43
Oh c'mon. Who send this one to you m8? That's awful.

^ What he said. That's such a shame :(

J.T.Kirk
7th February 2010, 23:47
It's better to know, just for reference in the future for others.

SkydivinGirl
8th February 2010, 00:15
@gazcbm

That's quite a shame. :(

Heather

SkydivinGirl
8th February 2010, 15:13
I just finished installing my Dual CompactFlash IDE Adapter (Model HXSP-2108P" (http://www.cyberteam.pl/produkt/show/563.html) in my Amiga 4000. I found an Addonics 3.5" drive bay mount (http://www.shopaddonics.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=AAIDECFBKW&eq=&Tp=) to mount my CF adapter. Unfortunately, the posts built into the Addonics did not line up with my CF adapter. I simply drilled some holes and used screws and posts of my own to line it up.

The top CF slot lined up perfectly with the hole that was already cut but I had to use a Dremel to extend the slot down so I could use the second CF card slot. I may go back and clean up the edges with a file and add a touch of paint to where I used the Dremel, but probably not. :D

I really liked this solution because I didn't have to give up my 5.25" drive bay or mount the CF adapter in the back of the system where it's more difficult to reach. Now swapping out my HD is as easy as swapping cards. :)

Heather

woodycool
8th February 2010, 15:20
:hijacked::offtopic:
Sorry peeps

@ Zetro: Where'd you find that SCSI to IDE adaptor?
I could do with a couple of those!

Justin
8th February 2010, 15:23
I just finished installing my Dual CompactFlash IDE Adapter (Model HXSP-2108P" (http://www.cyberteam.pl/produkt/show/563.html) in my Amiga 4000. I found an Addonics 3.5" drive bay mount (http://www.shopaddonics.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=AAIDECFBKW&eq=&Tp=) to mount my CF adapter. Unfortunately, the posts built into the Addonics did not line up with my CF adapter. I simply drilled some holes and used screws and posts of my own to line it up.

The top CF slot lined up perfectly with the hole that was already cut but I had to use a Dremel to extend the slot down so I could use the second CF card slot. I may go back and clean up the edges with a file and add a touch of paint to where I used the Dremel, but probably not. :D

I really liked this solution because I didn't have to give up my 5.25" drive bay or mount the CF adapter in the back of the system where it's more difficult to reach. Now swapping out my HD is as easy as swapping cards. :)

Heather

you beauty, go on get in there!! :)

/JuvUK looks at SDG then looks at his sig then looks at SDG

SkydivinGirl
8th February 2010, 16:00
Thanks Juzzers. :) That's one more A4000 project to cross off my list. I still have to do my ATX mod and fix the capacitors on my A3640. A geek girl's work is never done.

Say hello to Bert for me. :wink:

Heather

Bootay
8th February 2010, 20:16
SkyDivinGirl:

That A4000 mod is awesome! I am gonna copy. :)

(http://www.amibay.com/member.php?u=860)

J.T.Kirk
8th February 2010, 20:45

Heather

That's a neat solution. I'm interested in too. Great job. :thumbsup:

SkydivinGirl
8th February 2010, 20:45
Thanks Bootay & Phantom!

I ran into a couple issues when doing the mod. The height of the Dual CF Card IDE Adapter caused the most problems. There's a nub on the top of the floppy power connector that I had to cut off in order for it to fit properly. I didn't cut the Amiga power cable, I used a power extension. In addition, I had to cut off the plastic stress reliever on the top of the IDE connector to keep it from hitting the bottom of the floppy drive.

Good luck with your mod!

Heather

J.T.Kirk
8th February 2010, 20:46
It would be wise to post some pics also of the insider (how it's connected and how it's fitted in there).

gazcbm
8th February 2010, 20:57
That is a damn shame buddy. Was it sent by courier or Post Office?

It was sent by courier from Hungary. It has without doubt be kicked around along its journey. I just dont want to talk about it.... :sad:

Anyway looking on the bright side, at least I have seen a 1551 in real life now :-)

r0jaws
8th February 2010, 21:27
Spot of glue, and some tape and you'd never know. ;)

I understand how you feel buddy, I've had two things turn up via parcel force one of which had been so badly damaged I suspect it could have been deliberate. I made a claim and got my money back, but it took a little while. :(

The courier should be insured, I think a complaint would definitely be in order.

rkauer
8th February 2010, 22:30
Thanks Bootay & Phantom!

I ran into a couple issues when doing the mod. The height of the Dual CF Card IDE Adapter caused the most problems. There's a nub on the top of the floppy power connector that I had to cut off in order for it to fit properly. I didn't cut the Amiga power cable, I used a power extension. In addition, I had to cut off the plastic stress reliever on the top of the IDE connector to keep it from hitting the bottom of the floppy drive.

I have another question: does the dual CF work OK with two CF installed?

chain
9th February 2010, 08:02
Got an mac Powebook 100. What a tiny motherboard it have!
CPU 68HC000 at 15mhz and 4mb ram. Dead HD:/ i will post a pic when i have time for that.

SkydivinGirl
9th February 2010, 13:45
It would be wise to post some pics also of the insider (how it's connected and how it's fitted in there).
I'll take some pictures when I have to take the machine apart again. It would take me a half an hour just to remove and re-install everything. The A4000D was not built for quick, easy access. :)

@rkauer

I tried getting a 4GB CF card formatted in the second slot last night. The card is recognized but I'm having trouble getting it working properly with HD Toolbox. I'll try the other partitioning software later. The good news is that it sees it properly and seems to want to work. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Heather

Zetr0
9th February 2010, 14:06
Got an mac Powebook 100. What a tiny motherboard it have!
CPU 68HC000 at 15mhz and 4mb ram. Dead HD:/ i will post a pic when i have time for that.

I look forward to seeing this indeedy!!

Zetr0
9th February 2010, 14:13
@rkauer

I tried getting a 4GB CF card formatted in the second slot last night. The card is recognized but I'm having trouble getting it working properly with HD Toolbox. I'll try the other partitioning software later. The good news is that it sees it properly and seems to want to work. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Heather

I found with mine -

using install 3.1 HDTools - create new device - read config - ignore (negative numbers) save - then move onto partition and it read the full 4GB will its not really 4GB it was somthing like 3.87GB or close to that.

I will say though NOT ALL cards work with this method, I am unsure as to why, theres a chap on Amiga.org and eab.abime.net, his name is Thomas and he is an absolute guru of knowledge when it comes to the Amiga and preping up harddisks.

Thomas is very knowledgable of Amiga - amongst other things like tellimg me to read the manual lol... yeah.... i misses a couple of pages... but hey...

r0jaws
10th February 2010, 23:11
I have a lovely wifie. :)
She runs the local thrift shop and pimps me out to repair all the local wifies computers and consoles (mainly Nintendo DS' at the moment). But in return, she does get her hands on some nice kit.
Today, bless her cottons, she came home with a bottle of Gordons and a Boxed Sega Game Gear! :D
One of the ladies for whom I had performed a 'service' found this in her cupboard, and knowing all about my little 'predilection' for all things retro computer, gave it to my wife for me for nothing.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/r0jaws/GameGear/SegaGameGearsmall.jpg

It came with original box (but no polys) 2 games, and a power pack. I remember lusting over one of these when they first hit the streets but could never afford one. I especially liked the fact that, with the right expansion, it could also be a mini TV! To me, it was the future, now. :p

Anyhoo, this particular console seems to fire up fine, but the audio and picture quality is pretty ropey. This is common for the Game Gear, they usually suffer from terrible Capacitors. A bit of research for the correct replacements and expect to see a repair in progress.
I'm so confident I've just bought a copy of Outrun from the other Bay! :whistle:

keropi
11th February 2010, 06:27
[...]
One of the ladies for whom I had performed a 'service' found this [..]

ahheemmm that can be easily translated to whatever one thinks :whistle::whistle::whistle:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

chiark
11th February 2010, 07:39
Too. Much. Information. :D

But I hope it was worth it for the Game Dear.

Zetr0
11th February 2010, 08:33
[...]

ahheemmm that can be easily translated to whatever one thinks :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Personally I am with you chaps and would of held out for a Sega Nomad, but in a pinch I suppose a Game Gear will do ;)

If I am not mistaken I do believe there is a master system add-on for it to play master system games

I had the chance to get one of these from a car-boot / fleamarket sale for 10, it included the TV tuner/enabler a few games and a nice carry case....

yeah.... I kick myself now.....

so err r0jaws.... these ladies.... needing the services ? ... any chance I could get a Sega Game Gear too ?

r0jaws
11th February 2010, 14:55
[...]

Personally I am with you chaps and would of held out for a Sega Nomad, but in a pinch I suppose a Game Gear will do ;)

@All,
Honestly, one or 2 innocent sentences about performing for material gain, and imaginations go wild. :p

@Chiark,
It was Definitely worth it, I'm happy to sell myself for retro gear.

@Z
If I had held out for a Nomad, I'd have had to wait a loooooooong time. :D

.....I had the chance to get one of these from a car-boot / fleamarket sale for 10, it included the TV tuner/enabler a few games and a nice carry case....

yeah.... I kick myself now.....

Can't Breathe, feel dizzy, must sit down. I would have torn it from his cold lifeless grip and run cackling from the stall.

I think a penance is in order young master Z. :D

so err r0jaws.... these ladies.... needing the services ? ... any chance I could get a Sega Game Gear too ?

I'll ask, but I think you better come up with a convincing way to smuggle your riches into the house without alerting your good lady.
As your Pimp, however, I'll take 70%, but I'll treat you good. :lol:

SkydivinGirl
11th February 2010, 15:47
@r0jaws

Nice catch! I actually have about 5 GameGears and about 30 games. Most of the systems work but are in various states of disrepair. I have one that's working excellent. I also have a couple Game Genie device and at least one of the TV Tuner adapters. Unfortunately, the TV Tuners are worthless now that the Digital TV Transition has occurred here.

I still want a SEGA Nomad. :)

Oh! I walked into a local Play N Trade (http://www.playntrade.com/) store a couple weeks ago and the owner was putting out a used original GameBoy in the box with all the accessories for $8.00! I picked it up immediately. :)

Heather

Merlin
11th February 2010, 16:11
Yay!!

Two Commodore 1541 drives were dropped off by Demusse at Houthalen for me and they will be shipped by courier to me tomorrow morning!!

:thumbsup:

I won't be able to do anything with them for a week as I'm in Belgium next week on a training course.

:(

They'll be waiting for me when I get back, though....:nod:

:bowdown::bowdown:

Justin
11th February 2010, 16:33
Yay!!

Two Commodore 1541 drives were dropped off by Demusse at Houthalen for me and they will be shipped by courier to me tomorrow morning!!

:thumbsup:

I won't be able to do anything with them for a week as I'm in Belgium next week on a training course.

:(

They'll be waiting for me when I get back, though....:nod:

:bowdown::bowdown:

In Bruges by any chance? lol
what sort of beer will you have? a straight one? or.......

Merlin
11th February 2010, 16:37
@ JuvUK

Tielt, actually, in West Flanders... about 20 miles south of Brussels. Apparently it was where the Supreme Allied Command was set up after D-Day.

I don't drink, so there's be no Stella Artois for me....

Zetr0
11th February 2010, 19:03
Okay guys (and girls) -

time for me to share some delicious delectables that arrived courtessy of gifts

First up is one filthy-sluty Commodore + 4

http://www.guildserver.co.uk/abay-show/cbm+4/P1010671.jpg

Yeah looks nice eh? like all dirty 'n stuff

http://www.guildserver.co.uk/abay-show/cbm+4/P1010672.jpg

wuhoo... that needs some cleaning before any volts touch that!!

Its such a shame the CBM+4 had nearly twice as faster processor and it has a programmable 59KB (the c64 had only 32 via basic) - it also has a asembly complier debugger and 4 programs in ROM onboard -

alas... its incompatible with C64 software =(

more to follow.....

please wait..... loading...... press play on tape......

rkauer
11th February 2010, 19:09
Ham & Cheese lasagne and hardware pr0n in the same picture...:drool:

The keyboard is a case for Retr0bright, but otherwise, congratulations!:whistleblower::arms:drinkin:

Let's party!

Zetr0
11th February 2010, 19:10
Also arrived today was perhaps one of the largest things one can handle in one hand....

NO.... not that!!! - one of these bad boi's

from the front it looks like a cobra!
http://www.guildserver.co.uk/abay-show/GCubeJoy/P1010674.jpg

WHoohoo - Enchaladas!!!! *yummy*
http://www.guildserver.co.uk/abay-show/GCubeJoy/P1010673.jpg

Check out them buttons =D
http://www.guildserver.co.uk/abay-show/GCubeJoy/P1010675.jpg

Alas as much as this is awesome I dont have a GameCube, and I am unlikely going to get one. so this little (large) puppy will be taking a flgiht in a box to a good friend over the seas =D

.... more to follow .....

Now loading...... please wait.....

SkydivinGirl
11th February 2010, 19:16
@Zeets

You'll have to do a "Before and After" series of pictures on that Plus/4. :) Wow!

Heather

Zetr0
11th February 2010, 19:22
Now boys and girls its time to -

Mix It Up with some SERIOUS industrial Hardware

first up I have now recondition this little puppy -

http://www.guildserver.co.uk/abay-show/KrontonSBC/P1010684.jpg

Okay - I will tell you

This is a Kronton P2 - Half ISA PCIMG SBC -
http://www.guildserver.co.uk/abay-show/KrontonSBC/P1010683.jpg

This means its a miniture PC on a ISA card - this particualr unit can support upto a K62-333 Mhz CPU, the clock multiplier and volt setter states it will support my K62-450 =D whoot!!!

she has 2MB Video and can drive a Flatpannel out the box, has USB and is decked with 256MB of 60ns RAM, has a ZIF port for 1.8" HDD as wells ATA66 IDE / FDD / Parallel and Serial -

Pretty isnit - Guess what...... its going in an Amiga =D
http://www.guildserver.co.uk/abay-show/KrontonSBC/P1010682.jpg

She is a Passive ISA, thus needs a power Driven ISA bus.. which my A2000 and A1200D has..... =D oh the temptations....

I need to find the best ISA gfx card... I believe thats a 4mb ATI one... must ask my Amigo Keropi which one it is - I think he has one... =D

..... more to come.....

please wait while loading.....

Zetr0
11th February 2010, 19:36
I like it when I get industrial hardware to play with.... I like it more when I get to share it with my fellow AmiBayers

So here is a Full ISA / PCI Bus Mastering P3 based PICMG factor SBC (or Robo 628 for short)

http://www.guildserver.co.uk/abay-show/RoboSBC/P1010679.jpg

The Robo 618 SBC has 2 USB, 3 DOC (disk on chip), with ATA66 / Parallel / Serial Keyboard & Mouse

http://www.guildserver.co.uk/abay-show/RoboSBC/P1010680.jpg

She is fitted with a 750Mhz P3 and maxed out to 512MB of 133SDR - nice little bit of linux / amithalon comming up here.

http://www.guildserver.co.uk/abay-show/RoboSBC/P1010681.jpg

She is destined for my A2000 (although that means reworking the power supply - I plan to use a PCI extender so that I can run a PCI gfx card along side - upto a voodoo3 or perhaps a Voodoo4/5 if I can find one..

One final bit to add is this little monster
http://www.guildserver.co.uk/abay-show/soundcard/P1010677.jpg

A creative Tech CT1600 =D perfect for those DOS games that I MUST be able to play from my A2000 (once complete mind)

... okay... thats enough new-ish-old-ish stuff for now... =D

r0jaws
11th February 2010, 20:38
Looking forward to meeting that filthy minx of a Plus 4 in person dude!

I spotted a mint one of those, in box with poly's, accessories and selection of software, a few years back at a car booty.
Just like you, I turned it down as she was asking 20 of the Queen's folding for it.
Sometimes you just hate yourself.:roll:

Merlin
11th February 2010, 21:44
I think I may need to retire to a quiet room, with a print out of these last few pages..... *ahum-ha*

That Plus 4 is one seriously filthy durrty, petite little slut.....:whistle:

@ Zetr0

You durrrty, durrrty hardware pr0n pimp, j0o......:nod:

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Kin Hell
11th February 2010, 22:43
That is seriously filthy HW Pr0n Zeets. Hope you have a great time with her. :)

Kin

StrontiumDog
12th February 2010, 15:06
Latest addition to the family :D

68060 @ 66mhz (Overclocked)

Additional hardware to go to 75mhz

Only 32mb at the moment, might ask around to get 2nd SIMM fitted if possible ;)

Justin
12th February 2010, 15:21
Latest addition to the family :D

68060 @ 66mhz (Overclocked)

Additional hardware to go to 75mhz

Only 32mb at the moment, might ask around to get 2nd SIMM fitted if possible ;)

nice bit of kit m8, looks strangely familiar :D

J.T.Kirk
12th February 2010, 15:29
Nice piece of hardware. The ultimate upgrade for an A1200. :thumbsup:

Zetr0
12th February 2010, 15:47
@blankstare

if you fit a Second 72pin socket the accelerator WONT fit in a stock A1200 chassis - the Keyboard keeps hitting the socket -

Even an angled simm socket would not work as this angles the SIMM into the CPU

a second SIMM socket (to give you 64MB) would only work in a Tower or Desktop Mod -

Should you want somthing like that (and I in a paricularly generous mood) "thank Kin Hell" LOL (its infectious)

I can offer to fit you a 72pin simm fitted + another 32MB SIMM (for a total of 64MB with your other 32) + return next day insured postage (upto 500) for hmmm -

how does 21.50 sound? =D

hit me up on PM chap and we can make it happen.

StrontiumDog
12th February 2010, 16:07
nice bit of kit m8, looks strangely familiar :D

I got it from this well dodgy, shifty looking geezer :lol:

@blankstare

if you fit a Second 72pin socket the accelerator WONT fit in a stock A1200 chassis - the Keyboard keeps hitting the socket -

Even an angled simm socket would not work as this angles the SIMM into the CPU

a second SIMM socket (to give you 64MB) would only work in a Tower or Desktop Mod -

Should you want somthing like that (and I in a paricularly generous mood) "thank Kin Hell" LOL (its infectious)

I can offer to fit you a 72pin simm fitted + another 32MB SIMM (for a total of 64MB with your other 32) + return next day insured postage (upto 500) for hmmm -

how does 21.50 sound? =D

hit me up on PM chap and we can make it happen.

Oh bless you Zetr0 :thanks:

Hold that thought, I'm going to see if I can get hold of a tower case (anybody reading got one they don't want???) from somewhere so I can take you up on your most generous offer. I've got a couple of 16mb SIMMS lying around doing nothing you can have if you want them as well.

rkauer
12th February 2010, 17:08
Got this two pieces today!

A not-so-rare A504 (http://bboah.amiga-resistance.info/cgi-bin/showhardware_en.cgi?HARDID=929) from the other evil bay & a VGA dongle, courtesy of my Greek GM and friend Keropi.:bowdown:

Now I can use two Amigas at the same time, each one with its own monitor, yay!:D

quarkx
15th February 2010, 21:29
I just got in a sweet deal for free! I got a CBM 8032 PET, CBM 8050 dual disk drive, and a plain old Commodore 1701 monitor. I have to got to work soon, so I can't play with the PET much, it works, but (As ussual) I have to clean the keyboard, as some of the keys don't work, but it does boot, I also need to find a floppy cable for it. I did open it up and it is rather dirty, so cleaning tomorrow.
Man I love that PET boot sound. The guy even delivered it for nothing! sorry for the Camera phone photos, more when I have the time.

SkydivinGirl
15th February 2010, 21:32
Excellent find! I had a very nice condition Pet around 1994 and I threw it away! :nuts: Little did I know how much I would want one again.

Oh well...

Heather

r0jaws
15th February 2010, 22:00
That is one clean looking machine. Nice find buddy. :D

Now, what are you going to do with it?

quarkx
16th February 2010, 06:10
That is one clean looking machine. Nice find buddy. :D

Now, what are you going to do with it?
:twisted: Muh HHAAAHAAAA (Evil laugh)
I plan to use it to take over the world.!!!

World domination through vintage computers is always a good thing. now if I can just find a CRAY 1......

UberFreak
16th February 2010, 16:38
Sorry for the poor image, it was taken with a cellphone in poor lighting & a shaky hand!

These are the items & their prices, converted to Euro:

SNES console with controllers & output dongle - 2.5
NES & SNES games - 0.5 each
Sony PS1 console without controllers - 1
Sega Megadrive with controllers, PSU & 3 games - 6

Other stuff not pictured:

C64 PSU - 1
JVC SuperVHS ET VCR (PAL/NTSC) - 4

Everything is checked & working :)

Btw, these are quite usual prices for such items :thumbsup:

xc8
18th February 2010, 20:57
As the cyberscsi is not working I found this to replace the empty space of the scsi cdrom, It works like charm with the Deneb ! The connector to the USB headers needs some modification as it was 2x5way.

Chris

rkauer
19th February 2010, 03:15
@XC8: Excellent!:bowdown:

quarkx
19th February 2010, 04:26
Today, I got the Megabit 128 Rom Adaptor board. For $20, it provides a lot of possibilities for an Eprom for your 128. for more info here (http://www.commodore128.org/index.php?topic=2645) I believe I got the 32 Meg Rom, but honestly I can't remember at this moment.THE MEGABIT 128 INTERNAL ROM ADAPTER
For the C128/C128D Internal ROM Socket
Developed by D. C. Newbury

Review by Mark R. Brown

THE BASICS

The Megabit 128 internal ROM Adapter is a small circuit board that plugs into the internal expansion ROM socket on the Commodore 128 or C128D. Its purpose is to allow you to use high-capacity EPROMS: 27010 (1 meg.), 27020 (2 meg.), 27040 (4 meg.), or 27080 (8 meg.).

It's very easy to install. Since the board is longer than a standard EPROM, you have to bend down a couple of small disk caps on the 128 motherboard before you snap it into the internal ROM socket. There's also a pigtail with a clip that has to be attached to a pin on the U3 chip. Piece of cake. No soldering. Easily removed if you need to.

Newbury currently sells two different versions of the adapter board. One addresses up to 16K at a time; the other addresses up to 32K at once. Each is the same price: $15 PPD in the US. Each uses the same EPROMs; which you choose comes down to how big a memory space you need to have active at any one time. The 32K version lets you include bigger apps, like KeyDos, the Servant, and BASIC 8.

THE BARGAIN

An even better deal than just buying the bare board is to add five bucks and order either board with an EPROM preprogrammed with some apps and a nice menu program. This not only gives you a set of useful apps right out the gate, it means non-technical types can actually do something with this board.

Because if you want to do something of your own, you're on your own. While the developer is a very helpful guy, there's no easy way right now to get your own apps up and running on this board. Here's what he wrote back when I asked how to program my own EPROM apps for this board:

"I will have to put something together, like a separate manual that will have the commented ML listings for the auto start routine, menu and program loaders. It may take awhile."

Then he mentioned something about fishing.

Just remember that full support for developing your own menus and apps is planned. It's coming. Sometime. Also remember you're only paying $20 (shipping included) for the preprogrammed edition of either version of this little marvel. If it were $50 or more, I'd linger here awhile, complaining. But for twenty bucks I think that's more than fair.

Okay. Fine. So we're stuck for the time being with the programs and menu system he's burnt for us. So let's talk about that.

Because what's already included is a load and a half.

THE BYTES

When I turn on my C128 in 40-column mode and press F1, nothing happens. At least, nothing happens on my C128. It might be interference with JiffyDOS, since I get the JiffyDOS '@$' command with F1. I don't know, but I'm not going to pull my JiffyDOS chip to find out. Maybe it's just an 80-column app. The manual doesn't make that clear. So let's try 80-column mode.

Press F1 and... okay, THERE we go! A nice menu of apps. What's available? Some of the best, most-used C128 and C64 utilities. Here's a list:

16K version w/4meg EPROM:
Merlin 128 v1.0
Promos 2.0
My Disk Editor
Function keys
Viza Write 128
Viza Star 128
Seq Reader 128
Begin & End Adrs
Fastrac File copy
Directory Editor
Color 80 column
Basic Data Maker
Monitor 64
Basic Merge
Basic Merge +
Maverick File Copy
Maverick Track Editor
Single 41 Data copy
Dual 41 Data Copy
Single Nybbler
Dual Nybbler
Single 81 Data copy
Maverick File Tracer
Maverick Track & Sector Editor
64K VDC RAM Test
REU Test

32k version w/1meg EPROM:
Key Dos
Servant
BASIC 8
My Disk Editor
Seq Reader 128
Color 80 Col
BASIC Merge
Function Keys
Begin & End Adrs
BASIC Data Maker
BASIC Merge +

The 16k version is a melange of C128 and C64 apps, some commercial and some written by Newbury. All are very useful. I can't imagine there's much you'd want to do that isn't covered in here somewhere. But, just to be contrary, I do miss not having a disk cataloger and a simple text editor like ZED.

When you pick a program it comes up in a flash, of course. C64 programs kick into C64 mode and run flawlessly.

The programs have not been modified in any way that I can tell, other than to make them work from the internal ROM. That means when you're done using one of these programs, you have to power cycle your machine to quit. (Newbury's own programs do politely drop you back into BASIC when you exit them.)

No problem, as long as you didn't expect this thing to work like Partner 128, letting you jump back and forth from applications to utilities like Bond from babes to bomb blasts. You can't have everything, dude.

You DID remember to save your program before you hit F1, didn't you?

THE BITS

What other goodies do you get? For twenty bucks? Are you kidding?

Newbury sent me a review package that was complete with a printed manual and a CD-ROM containing the documentation for all of the programs on the EPROM. I doubt you'll get all that for a couple of sawbucks. But I assume he'll be making it all available on the web for free.

Installation instructions are complete and more than adequate to the (very simple) task. The manual includes documentation for all of the utility programs Newbury developed himself. The CD-ROM has PDF manuals and d64 files for all of the commercial apps included.

As stated above, there is, as yet, no documentation on how to create your own EPROMs. But did I mention that it's coming?

THE BOTTOM LINE

Best twenty bucks you ever spent. Ever. Pawn your grandpa's watch and buy this right now. Really. I mean it.

Though I desperately want to create a menu and load it up with my own apps, for twenty bucks what Newbury provides is an excellent selection.

The board couldn't be easier to install. If you can install an internal ROM, you can install this board.

This is a fine product and it solves a basic problem. At least it did for me.

I've already decided to keep the 32K version installed permanently. I had burnt EPROMs for KeyDos, the Servant, and BASIC 8, and have been struggling for a year over which of them to keep in that socket. Now I don't have to choose. Best of all, all three apps are 128-mode programs; I hate having to switch to C64 mode to do anything. Now I don't have to.

xc8
19th February 2010, 09:01
Today, I got the Megabit 128 Rom Adaptor board. For $20, it provides a lot of possibilities for an Eprom for your 128. ......

+, I highly recommend this for the C128 users...

chris

scole
24th February 2010, 15:01
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/1863/photo2ql.jpg

Woo hoo! An Amiga hat.

:-D

S

Pedro Lambrini
24th February 2010, 15:04
That is just too cool! :)

SkydivinGirl
24th February 2010, 17:04
Today, I got the Megabit 128 Rom Adaptor board. For $20, it provides a lot of possibilities for an Eprom for your 128. for more info here (http://www.commodore128.org/index.php?topic=2645) I believe I got the 32 Meg Rom, but honestly I can't remember at this moment.
Thanks for posting about this! I received mine a couple days ago. Your post made me read up on this wonderful little device. :)

Take care,

Heather

quarkx
24th February 2010, 17:40
Today, I got the Megabit 128 Rom Adaptor board. For $20, it provides a lot of possibilities for an Eprom for your 128. for more info here (http://www.commodore128.org/index.php?topic=2645) I believe I got the 32 Meg Rom, but honestly I can't remember at this moment.
Thanks for posting about this! I received mine a couple days ago. Your post made me read up on this wonderful little device. :)

Take care,

Heather
No problem Heather,
For $20, it seemed almost criminal not to share it here. :thumbsup:

SkydivinGirl
25th February 2010, 21:01
I received an e-mail today that said my MONOCHRON Clock kit (http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=39&products_id=204) has shipped! I can't wait to start soldering this together. :D

Heather

http://www.adafruit.com/images/medium/monochron_MED.jpg

J.T.Kirk
25th February 2010, 21:28
Ping Pong? :p

AndyLandy
25th February 2010, 21:56
http://www.proggle.net/%7Eandrew/download/soundsampler.jpg

"Andy, you like Amiga stuff, want a sound sampler?"
"Ooh, yes please!"

xc8
27th February 2010, 14:30
ahahah

Just received this, nice tools to cannibalize and torture 'bad' boards... :lol:

chris

J.T.Kirk
27th February 2010, 14:35
LOL... Good luck m8. :D

Muzer
27th February 2010, 15:28
Quite boring, but I want to get into the habit of doing this.

http://hbcapps.com/miight/crap/dump/filehzjrUC.jpg

4-port backplane for my RISC PC :D

rkauer
27th February 2010, 17:26
@Muzzy: not-so-oddly, those appear to be the same mid-connector of the A1200 Mediator.

Elbox use the same one to save costs, I guess.