PDA

View Full Version : Sold Commodore A1020 external 5.25" floppy disk drive

alenppc
9th June 2012, 23:02
Working external A1020 floppy drive. Powered from 110V electric outlet. I also have the box but the upper styrofoam piece is missing and the box has seen better days.

I can ship it with box (double-boxing) or without box (lower shipping fee).

Currently, the item with its box weighs approx 4.5 kg. Adding an extra box would probably add some weight/volume to it (and shipping charges accordingly).

Price: $25 CDN + shipping. Buyer pays PayPal fees.

Skyrunner
10th June 2012, 01:08
This is a real beauty at a great price. Too bad that shipping to Greece + customs would mean a hefty price. Not to mention the 110V :)

alenppc
10th June 2012, 01:21
Thanks for the comment! Remember when stuff was still being made in Japan? That's why all these still work today. :|

An interesting tidbit: although this was designed mostly for use with bridgeboards, the 5.25" floppies can be formatted using OFS/FFS (2.0+), but they don't don't have a diskchange signal (if I remember correctly), so you have to type "diskchange DF1:" whenever you change the floppy and also a mountlist needs to be created in order to read 5.25" disks under AmigaOS, so it won't automount like a 3.5" drive, which was standard in the PC world of the time. Another use on the Amiga would be to read C64 formatted disks.

Unfortunately I have accumulated way too much stuff over the years and it all has to go... no space anymore.

ravard
10th June 2012, 02:04
Interested in the whole package with double boxing. Can I get the total price with shipping to U.S.? PM on the way. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 18:04 ---------- Previous post was at 17:38 ----------

Interest withdrawn due to shipping costs. Thanks!

Skyrunner
10th June 2012, 02:13
Thanks for the comment! Remember when stuff was still being made in Japan? That's why all these still work today. :|

An interesting tidbit: although this was designed mostly for use with bridgeboards, the 5.25" floppies can be formatted using OFS/FFS (2.0+), but they don't don't have a diskchange signal (if I remember correctly), so you have to type "diskchange DF1:" whenever you change the floppy and also a mountlist needs to be created in order to read 5.25" disks under AmigaOS, so it won't automount like a 3.5" drive, which was standard in the PC world of the time. Another use on the Amiga would be to read C64 formatted disks.

Unfortunately I have accumulated way too much stuff over the years and it all has to go... no space anymore.

I'm more or less in the same position - unfortunately.
I have a couple of Cumana 5.25" Amiga drives that I still haven't tried out.
I can recall reading a review of this drive in a Greek magazine back in 1987. I was really thrilled for some reason - it could be the the drive's design - I don't know. Luckily I ended up with a 1010 (made in Japan as well) to match my A500v1.2 (made in West Germany).
Back in the day both "Made in Japan/West Germany" were synonyms for reliability and quality. Ahhh I'm getting old.

bdb
10th June 2012, 04:55
Interested, will pm

bdb

bigdan
10th June 2012, 07:24
Interested too.

oldman1000
10th June 2012, 08:02
Interested

specialK
10th June 2012, 09:22
intersted, fourth in line. :(
PM on the way...

Marcin

alenppc
10th June 2012, 17:08
Sold to bdb. Payment received. The item will be shipped today before 5 pm EDT. Once again apologies for the hefty shipping but Canada Post does love to rape us up here (and UPS is even worse).

bdb
16th June 2012, 15:32
Item received, attempting convoluted process to leave positive feedback