Pentium III compaq deskpro, strange problem.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
This system was very stable experementing computer. Had upgraded to PIII at 1.4 ghz was ok back then, running nt4 sp6.

Tried to install many stuff but failed like:

aros boots but even vesa looks not ok.
OS/2 warp 4 convenience pack hangs
ubuntu hangs
QNX hangs
:picard:picard:picard:picard:picard:picard:picard

The other night I mangaged to get ubuntu server through expert install but now.. It boots. and the internal vga card gives this console output:

Any ideas? Is this vid mem? Can compaq deskpro take pci card?

It does this random cold and wam.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ps: the high speed mode of the fan is mostly all the time on, the system itself does not hang. I replaced the paste between the cpu and the cooler, but it did not change anything.

Last edited:
Ehrm, what ?

I understand that it is a pentium 3 machine an then upgraded to pentium 4, how, have you replaced the whole mobo?

If so it's perhaps a bad mobo :unsure:

Or are you talking about an upgraded PIII to PIII-S (tualatin) 1.4GHz ?

If this is the case remember that an adaptor socket (for getting correct FSB/CPU freq.) must be used if the mobo was not designed to support the PIII-S

I just putted in a PIII 1.4ghz just like that.. I'll try to dig in my paypall wich type cpu that was.

Definitely a graphics corruption problem there. Go through your BIOS settings carefully and see if anything looks out of order. If not, try a PCI video card and see if that clears it. It's possible the motherboard is running above its ratings if another CPU has been fitted so try lowering any settings in BIOS first.:)

If it's a 1.4GHz PIII that is indeed a Pentium III-S (tualatin) cpu and probably your mobo does not support them, and shut it off now! as the pentium III-S besides different FSB also uses lower voltage that the normal PIII, if I recall corectly, so you are probably overvolting the new CPU.

For this scenarios an adaptor should be used:

like this one: http://www.fuzing.com/vli/0000046bb226/Pentium-3-%7C-Celeron--Socket_370-up-to-Tualatin--CPU-Upgrade-Adapter

There were lots of them on ebay on its day, dont know if nowadays are common or not.

sorry about P4 edited - PIII 1.4 ..

Ehrm, what ?

I understand that it is a pentium 3 machine an then upgraded to pentium 4, how, have you replaced the whole mobo?

If so it's perhaps a bad mobo :unsure:

Or are you talking about an upgraded PIII to PIII-S (tualatin) 1.4GHz ?

If this is the case remember that an adaptor socket (for getting correct FSB/CPU freq.) must be used if the mobo was not designed to support the PIII-S

---------- Post added at 17:25 ---------- Previous post was at 17:03 ----------

Definitely a graphics corruption problem there. Go through your BIOS settings carefully and see if anything looks out of order. If not, try a PCI video card and see if that clears it. It's possible the motherboard is running above its ratings if another CPU has been fitted so try lowering any settings in BIOS first.:)

I already tried, but will try another pci card. The ati 9200 pci renders the system death. I'll go through my boxes.

I must insist as there is a risk of killing that 1.4Ghz PIII, first check that if your motherboard do support the PIII-S (tualatin core) variant of the PIII, much PIII mobos do not support them directly (they were for previous coppermime core generation of the PIII i.e speeds below the 1Ghz), and in this mobos the PIII-S can not be used as a direct replacement CPU, you must use one of the CPU socket adaptors that I told above.

Ok it seems to work with a voodoo 3. But I am a bit worried if this is correct. I tried to find it in the manual but it does not talk about model namens: The system reports the cpu correctly? (but it blows a lot of air)

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10653_na/10653_na.html

If it's a 1.4GHz PIII that is indeed a Pentium III-S (tualatin) cpu and probably your mobo does not support them, and shut it off now! as the pentium III-S besides different FSB also uses lower voltage that the normal PIII, if I recall corectly, so you are probably overvolting the new CPU.

like this one: http://www.fuzing.com/vli/0000046bb...ocket_370-up-to-Tualatin--CPU-Upgrade-Adapter

There were lots of them on ebay on its day, dont know if nowadays are common or not.

---------- Post added at 17:53 ---------- Previous post was at 17:52 ----------

I understand.(y). But specs do not tell much more..

like this one: http://www.fuzing.com/vli/0000046bb...ocket_370-up-to-Tualatin--CPU-Upgrade-Adapter

Coppermine T (0.18 µm)

• L1-Cache: 16 + 16 KB (Data + Instructions)
  • L2-Cache: 256 KB, fullspeed
  • MMX, SSE
  • Socket 370 (FC-PGA, FC-PGA2)
  • Front side bus: 133 MHz
  • VCore: 1.75 V
  • First release: June 2001
  • Clockrate: 800–1133 MHz
    • 133 MHz FSB: 800, 866, 933, 1000, 1133 MHz
Tualatin (0.13 µm)

• L1-Cache: 16 + 16 KB (Data + Instructions)
  • L2-Cache: 256 or 512 KB, fullspeed
  • MMX, SSE, Hardware prefetch
  • Socket 370 (FC-PGA2)
  • Front side bus: 133 MHz
  • VCore: 1.45, 1.475 V
  • First release: 2001
  • Clockrate: 1000–1400 MHz
    • Pentium III (256 KB L2-Cache): 1000, 1133, 1200, 1333, 1400 MHz
    • Pentium III-S (512 KB L2-Cache): 1133, 1266, 1400 MHz

Going to see in Bios about voltage, if none is given, system will be shut down.. Good you told me - imagine it running for a few day's and then... (while not at home) O.3V seems a bit over doing it..

Stability issues must be due two factors:

- The tualatins use a different CPU/FSB clock multiplier than previous PIII generations.

- The tualatins use lower core voltage than previous PIII:

tualatin's VCore: 1.45 , 1.475 V

Previous PIII VCore: 1.6 V, 1.65 V, 1.70 V, 1.75 V

So if a tualatin is used on a mobo that does no support them you are pulling 1.6 Volts or more to a CPU that only support a max of 1.47 Volts, that should explain that the fan blowing air at full speed as probably the tualatin PIII is overheating on your mobo due to over-volting.

Check this for differences on the most common generations of the PIII:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_III#Coppermine_.280.18_.C2.B5m.29

I'd check your computer or mobo specifications for correct support of the tualatin PIII specs (FSB's, volts etc...).

BTW: I told you all of that as I've experience on this matters, as I'm using an 1.4GHz tualatin PIII-S cpu on a computer that was not intended for supporting them (an old dell optiplex GX200) thanks to one of those CPU adapters, it does wonders :) .

The noise is not comfortable, So I bought this this. (buy it now)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190404559445

Although it "seems" running ok now. Thanks for all the help guy's(y) I'll source a pci graphic card since voodoo 3 is use elsewhere.

Will have a look for a adapter as well, otherwhise the 1GHZ will be enough, also have a dell system that maybe takes this 1.4 cpu "normally" without risks.

It reports the cache and the cpu - but keeps blowing. You can hear it in the vid

http://youtu.be/pNUX5-oPmLo

Well using the correct adapter that mobo's 1Ghz barrier should be not a problem as those adapters have their own CPU clock multiplier (and volt regulator).

They work on mobos that have 100 or 133 Mhz FSB, say that those are the common FSB freqs that any old PIII mobo works with , then you have to set on the adapter the correct mobo's FSB by a jumper and it will give the correct 1.4Ghz CPU freq.

However I've done a quick search on evilbay for those adapters and I haven't found any, that's a pity as they still were quite common and cheap 6 years ago or so, so perhaps now it will be a quite hard to find spare :(

However I've done a quick search on evilbay for those adapters and I haven't found any, that's a pity as they still were quite common and cheap 6 years ago or so, so perhaps now it will be a quite hard to find spare :(

Indeed, found the same - I had aros in mind for this system -so I think 1ghz will be enough. Will keep eyes open for it..(y) It works but I am sure it'll fail some day.

@ Jurgen

I have one of those DeskPro EN Series PCs. The fastest chip it can take is up to 1Ghz, i.e. pre-Tualatin chips. The board in the DeskPro EN is PGA 370, not FC-PGA.
I think mine has a PIII Celeron 933 in it, as that was the fastest chip I had lying around.

You definitely need a PGA to FC-PGA adapter if you want to run a Tualatin in there; as the FSB is only 133Mhz, you only have limited scope for pushing the CPU speed before other things start to fall over.

Dave,

I have stored the system for now. As noted the cpu needs an adapter wich is difficult to source.

I have installed aros on before boxing it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMYJH7uHfmw&feature=youtu.be

I think I don't need the speed, and when an adapter becomes available at a normal price I'll buy one.

I'll source a pci vga card on amibay, and try other chips with aros, how farI can push it.

Thanks (y)

What CPU speed have you got now in that machine?

I've got a selection of PIIIs and Celerons here that go up to 866 Mhz or so, if yours is slower. If you want one, just let me know and I'll pop it into the post to you.

I've a briefer look over evilbay and I've found those at a reasonably prices (I think) :

All are BIN auctions :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-P3-PI...ter-/180892231935?pt=CPUs&hash=item2a1e0468ff

this is the whole full 1.4Ghz Tualatin CPU plus the adapter (the adapter is the cheapish kind done by Lin Lin but should do the job more or less ok, note that the better ones were manufactured by porwerleap)

And this other one seems the full 1.4Ghz Tualatin but modded on the CPU chip itself (look at the tiny wires & resistors added) to make them compatible with some older mobos :eek: , mind you have to check the chipset on your mobo for compatibility:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tualatin-P-...ter-/270666669895?pt=CPUs&hash=item3f04fd9f47

Hope it helps. :)

---------- Post added at 18:36 ---------- Previous post was at 17:47 ----------

this later one claims to be compatible with the compaq dekspro line:

- COMPAQ (www.compaq.com) -
Deskpro EX ( 815 chipset, New bios is FREE!! )
Deskpro EN ( use a BIOS Ver. 3.14 )

@ Dave, Merlin (y) Thanks but going for speed, aready spend money on compatible cards...

@lostrego

I have bought the hacked cpu. I have 2 none hacked. As it looks it is just some cutting and a smd resistor. I'll try to reproduce the hack and offer the elsewhere cpu reduced to the market. I did not find the hack easily online, otherwise I would have not bought it. Anyhow, if I can hack one for myself using the bought one, I'll offer it back to cut costs

I know it is a lot of work for such an old and small system, but I decided for pc's if I collect something it should be small form factor, and this one is so .. I also had an armstrad 486 for exact the same reason.. It runs dos and stacks easily.

I remember they presented the compaq deskpro en standing on them (y) No screws whatsoever to remove parts... etc.. I like the PIII performance a lot for a lot of os's... (no not windows 7 nor vista :)

Back
Top Bottom