Amiga OS 4 for AmigaOne XE

DutchinUSA

AmiBayer
Country
Unites States
Region
Wisconsin
Does anyone know how I would go about getting a copy of Amiga OS 4? I have a used AmigaOne but not the OS.

According to the AmigaOS Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AmigaOS_versions :

"During the five years of development, users of AmigaOne machines could download from Hyperion repository Pre-Release Versions of AmigaOS 4.0 as long as these were made available. As witnessed by many users into Amiga discussion forum sites, these versions were stable and reliable, despite the fact that they are technically labeled as "pre-releases".
Last stable version of AmigaOS 4.0 for AmigaOne computers is the "July 2007 Update", released for download 18 July 2007 to the registered users of AmigaOne machines.[1]"

Since I am the legal owner of this AmigaOne I should be able to get a copy of it right?

Don't say "you can load MorphOS" .. I have a Mac Mini for that :)

I want to experience AmigaOS 4.0 or 4.1 :D

Help !!!!

MorphOS is not available for AmigaOne anyway.

You can buy a copy of the updated AmigaOS 4.1 for AmigaOne from amigakit.com

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=17&products_id=826

Check the site out.

As far as the version 4.0 for AmigaOne I think this was sent to the buyers of the motherboards -a beta version- and then there was some updates.

If you are the first owner of the board then you should have the disc, if you have bought it second hand then the seller should have provided it to you. But it is useless anyway since 4.1 is a big replacement. As long as you buy 4.1 you can register it and download 4.1 updates from Hyperion's site. (y)

Last edited:
I believe you can purchase a copy of AmigaOS 4.1 specifically for your AmigaOne from Amigakit. If you can't now I think you used to be able to. Have you tried contacting them?

Regards,

Nathan

Sound great and all but I am not paying that kind of money to try an operating system. Rather have the older version (buggy or not) to at least give it a try first before buying 4.1 :)

I will just have to track down the previous owner and find out.

Thanks ! (y)

p.s.: What I really would like to know if anyone has had any experiences like this? Is it sufficient for the previous owner to unregister themselves at Hyperion so that the new owner can register under his/her name?

Last edited:
Yep, that is how it's supposed to go. Don't have first hand experience myself though but the topic has popped up on forums many times.

Back
Top Bottom