Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs
At long last I've got around to replacing the caps on my original A3640.

A couple of the caps look slightly off centre but they all check out ok.

I nearly crapped myself when I put it in my spare 4000/30 and it wouldn't boot up :sick:

I'd forgotten to switch over from internal clock to external clock :jester:

Dave G 8)

Attachments

• P9110013.JPG
    P9110013.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 0
  • P9110016.JPG
    P9110016.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 0
Re: Another repaired A3640

@Davideo

Those jumpers are easy to forget, Just ask Zetr0 :jester:

Nice work mate (y)

TC :)

WTF? A 3.1 board without the overclock hack? :whistle:

Same here?

Is there a bonus to be had with a standard 4000 with the hack?

My other 4000 has got a Warp fitted to it with extra RAM on board (y)

The A3640 I inherited with the 4000/30 has been buggered up by its previous owner. There are no solder tags left :banghead: Anybody got any ideas how to sort that one out?

Dave G 8)

davideo said:
<snip> There are no solder tags left :banghead: Anybody got any ideas how to sort that one out?

Dave G 8)

Yeah, ....send it to Zetr0. (y)

Kin

Dave, just look where the solder tag goes to - i had the same problem... I ended up finding the right place to solder to using a via. There was enough pad left to check continuity with a multimeter, and double check with the schematics :D

Bear in mind the schematics are online too.

I would like to thank rkauer that put me onto the hacking of the A3640.

Essentially what you do is hack the delay line so that you can clock-the-card up from 25mhz upto 40mhz.

not all cards will go as fast as 40mhz, some (few) wont clock-up at all, but its such a cheap easy mod for a large benefit.

Recently I sold such a modified card with an 40mhz compatable full core 040 to MagerValp, unfortunately I never got round to doing a full test on its range.

heres the card

here is the delay line hack (in Commodore Blue 30 Awg)
a3640-001-hack.jpg

here is the Osc hack: Machine turned (gold plated) socket pins for changing of the Oscilator (crystal)
a3640-003-hack.jpg

here some results that MagerValp got at 33mhz
33mhz-result-001.jpg

33mhz-result-002.jpg

and theres more on MagerValps experiments

@Davideo

I can help with the loss of the pad m8 (and delay line +OSc socket), I am working on DDNI's A630 this week, but I can get a look at it next week =)

@Zeets

The other board looks as though it's had some sort of hack on it already.

I'll see if I can get a picture added to this thread tonight showing the other board.

I'll look into chiarks suggestion and see what I can make of it - failing that it could finish up on your doorstep yet Zeets.

Dave G 8)

No worries m8, anything for a fellow AmiBayer / EAB'er =D

Here's the other board. It's a version 3 with a hack of sorts on U200.

Any ideas on if this is a legit hack or not? and what it's for?

I should learn to look aroound the internet better before asking questions :ROTFLOL2:

Just found this on Anthonys site

Code:
The "cut and jumper" patch mentioned by Dave Haynie in the Definitive Buster section is: lift pin 6 of U200, and short pads 6 and 7 on U200 (for more details, see below). This, in combination with an upgrade to the U209 PAL, converts a 3.0 board to 3.1. The only difference between 3.1 and 3.2 boards is another upgrade to the same PAL. The 3.0 revision of the A3640 has enough problems and incompatibilities (reported not to work at all with A4000/030 rev D, for instance) that it's worth doing the cut and jumper patch even without the PAL upgrade.

Dave G 8)

Attachments

• P9160001.JPG
    P9160001.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 0
  • P9160003.JPG
    P9160003.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 0

@Davideo

I have no idea what that hack is for... to be honest it looks mashed, I would be inclined to repair that lol

Back
Top Bottom