PDA

View Full Version : dpaint 5

johnim
22nd June 2012, 21:00
Hi guys

any idea why dpaint 5 wont work on my system in any radeon or voodoo screen modes it resets or gurus

but will work on aga modes

system see first in sig

thanks for any help/info

bdb
22nd June 2012, 22:40
Odd, I just installed Dpaint 5 on my A4000T under OS 4.1 and it runs fine (I did blacklist it and I get a DSI error). How else is your system configured?

Failing a configuration issue, PerfectPaint runs well and is more full featured.

johnim
22nd June 2012, 22:47
hi mate

im using cwb3.9

A1200T 1d4:
blizzard 1260/50/192mb/scsi kit
mediator 1200:radeon 9250:sb128:100mb net:spider usb clone
fastata-iv
80gb hd

as soon as i use a rtg mode it resets

all normal modes are fine

bdb
23rd June 2012, 04:11
Damn, you are right.

I did a fresh install under WB 3.9 on my A4000T with Mediator and Radeon 9200 and POOF! You are right, native screens are fine but Radeon screens are a problem: they start with odd number of available colors which I decrease to a normal number (like 8) then I give it my WB resolution (1132X832) and I get a "PC privilege violation. I can give you more information if you think it will be useful but I think
I'll just stick to PerfectPaint or Personal Paint 7. I use ArtEffect under OS 4.1 as well

Sorry I can't be of more help

johnim
23rd June 2012, 09:20
thanks for the fresh install and the info. may be dpaint is to old then or only likes chipmem.

john

Tahoe
23rd June 2012, 10:05
I think DPaint doesn't like any RTG screen. It will also crash on my Picasso IV. Maybe someone could test using Cybergraphics instead of Picasso96?

johnim
23rd June 2012, 10:07
from wiki

The final release of Deluxe Paint, version 5, had support for true 24-bit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_depth#Truecolor) RGB images. However, using only the normal AGA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Graphics_Architecture) native chipset, the 24-bit RGB colour was only held in computer memory, the on-screen image still appeared in indexed colour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deluxe_Paint

:thumbsdown:

protek
23rd June 2012, 17:32
Can't remember where I read it but an RTG support version was being planned but it was never completed.

bdb
23rd June 2012, 19:54
I believe that the program is supposed to work with RTG boards as it brings up a requester outside of the program (before the program actually opens); it was programmed prior to Mediator and usage of Radeon boards, although I'm not sure why it would crash a Picasso IV, unless they really did release DPaint V with a requester that allows one to crash the program.

Although DPaint set the standard for simplicity, I would use one of the more modern programs (Perfect Paint is available at no cost), or stay within classic AGA screens (I don't recall getting 24-bits out of AGA). As a side note, I don't think that the Cybergraphx driver works on Mediator boards, plus there is now a good guide here on AmiBay for using Picasso96 for lots of settings.

roy_bates
23rd June 2012, 20:50
john ive got version 5.2 i'll let you know how i got on tomorow morning.

EDIT:nope it wont work in rtg

hooverphonique
26th June 2012, 14:06
what happens if you select a 256-color mode for the RTG screen?

not that I think it helps much.. I think DPaint only likes bitplanes, not chunky pixels..

roy_bates
26th June 2012, 18:49
what happens if you select a 256-color mode for the RTG screen?

not that I think it helps much.. I think DPaint only likes bitplanes, not chunky pixels..

i tried that as well,nothing it just crashes.

johnim
26th June 2012, 19:51
tried the same too

dpaint doesnt like rtg

roy_bates
27th June 2012, 07:51
the thing is........why do i remember a version of dpaint working in rtg?

Tahoe
27th June 2012, 12:26
That's probably PPaint, I believe that works OK with RTG screens....

roy_bates
27th June 2012, 15:18
That's probably PPaint, I believe that works OK with RTG screens....

yes ppaint works in rtg,stiil i deffinitly remember a version of dpaint working in rtg for some strange reason.

this is going to bug me,so im going to go through all the versions i have and have a looksee.:)

davideo
27th June 2012, 15:31
Have you tried it while having ModePro (from Aminet - at least I think that's what it was called) active?

Dave G :cool:

roy_bates
27th June 2012, 15:36
Have you tried it while having ModePro (from Aminet - at least I think that's what it was called) active?

i'll try that as well.i will leve it till the weekend and go through all the versions with and without modepro for good measure.:)

johnim
27th June 2012, 16:02
cheers dave will try it too

davideo
27th June 2012, 16:23
I'm sure I used modepro many years ago with a cybervision and DPaint.