PDA

View Full Version : What is the best Amiga OS for PC(Amithlon or Amiga OS XL)

spanner
24th June 2012, 17:27
I want to be able to boot the Amiga OS from my hard drive on my pc without using WinUAE..??

Which is the best on to use..???

I need help to do this cos I have never done it before so a setup guide would be good right now..:)

J.T.Kirk
24th June 2012, 17:28
AROS of course.

Try Icaros Desktop.

http://www.icarosdesktop.org/

spanner
24th June 2012, 17:36
AROS of course.

Try Icaros Desktop.

http://www.icarosdesktop.org/

mmmm...Thats not a Amiga OS is it well not a proper one,Its a Home made OS..??

I wanted Amiga OS 3.9 running..?

ptyerman
24th June 2012, 17:37
Amithlon all the way. See my reply to your thread over on EAB. ;)

spanner
24th June 2012, 17:39
I should include it in the poll anyway cos its a good job there have done with it..;)

EDIT:

I can't change the poll now sorry but if a mod can do it,can you just add:

AROS

thanks in advance..

J.T.Kirk
24th June 2012, 17:43
AROS is based on AmigaOS 3.1 API, so AmigaOS 3.9.

tokyoracer
24th June 2012, 20:18
AROS if anything is the closest you would ever get to an Amiga OS for PC. Why one would want to do that I have no idea but since you are asking I would go ahread with that one.

Justin
24th June 2012, 23:53
AROS

J.T.Kirk
24th June 2012, 23:58
AROS if anything is the closest you would ever get to an Amiga OS for PC. Why one would want to do that I have no idea but since you are asking I would go ahread with that one.

Everything is open-source. You can run an Amiga-like OS if you prefer, in modern and extremely cheap hardware. Just to name a few. :)

davideo
25th June 2012, 00:28
I can't change the poll now sorry but if a mod can do it,can you just add:

AROS

thanks in advance..

Done :thumbsup:

Dave G :cool:

bdb
25th June 2012, 04:33
This may not be what you want, but I read a post about 2 weeks ago of booting a PC directly into UAE; it leaves the underlying Windows OS running but you never see or deal with it. All you experience is a "pure" Amiga operating system / UAE

ptyerman
25th June 2012, 06:53

Everything is open-source. You can run an Amiga-like OS if you prefer, in modern and extremely cheap hardware. Just to name a few. :)

Yeah that's just it: An Amiga-Like OS! It's just not a Amiga OS that can run Amiga programs without using UAE.
Aros i great I admit. But it will never replace a Amiga OS.

J.T.Kirk
25th June 2012, 08:03

Yeah that's just it: An Amiga-Like OS! It's just not a Amiga OS that can run Amiga programs without using UAE.
Aros i great I admit. But it will never replace a Amiga OS.

The same applies for MorphOS and AmigaOS 4.1 then if you want. But I don't see a disadvantage here. Can you play DOS games in your Win7 system without using an emulator too (ex DOSBox)? :)

ptyerman
25th June 2012, 08:22
Can you play DOS games in your Win7 system without using an emulator too (ex DOSBox)?

No but I can run Amiga programs in Amithlon without UAE, which is what the OP was asking. Aros is great if you want a alternative OS, but if you want to boot straight into Amiga OS on a PC, then AmigaOS XL or Amithlon is your only choice. Out of those 2, Amithlon is the best choice as it has more support and updated files. :)

J.T.Kirk
25th June 2012, 08:31
The philosophy behind AROS is different as you could easily understand. :)

ptyerman
25th June 2012, 08:39
The philosophy behind AROS is different as you could easily understand. :)

Yes, Aros is something totally different and irrelevant to this thread as the OP asked and I quote:

" I want to be able to boot the Amiga OS from my hard drive on my pc without using WinUAE..??"

The answer I gave was a direct reply to that. Aros doesn't run the Amiga OS from boot on a pc, and it requires UAE to run Amiga software! :)

Justin
25th June 2012, 08:47
it is a valid point, but Amithlon is much less developed, a wee bit buggy and not all that compatible if you are being honest.

it is a real shame Amithlon wasn't continued in an offical way:picard

ptyerman
25th June 2012, 08:58
Yes I'm with you on that. Apparently its second incarnation was almost ready for release when it all imploded. It was going to be called Umilator and the author deleted everything to do with it off his hard drive in disgust! :double

Zetr0
25th June 2012, 10:39
@ptyerman

Amithalon is based on a linux UAE, it has UAE integrated along with an 040 interpreter for the CPU.

I have an original copy Amithalon here, I love it, but its buggy as hell and getting it setup on a machine to run from HD is a bloody craze - unless you like working with grep a lot.

In essence Amithalon is a precursor to AROS. (thats put the cat amongst the pigeons)

Amiga XL is nice, but then I am a bit of a QNX fanboi! in a nut shell its not amiga, it has a lot of the Amiga feel at its core - being an RTOS (unlike windows / Linux) - but its not enough support.

AROS, is delightful, its soo damn close its amazing... its can support inline UAE emulation - even loading from a floppy disk! and it has transparent run-time opticode interpretation so native workbench apps can run natively in it.

All in all AROS is the future OS for classic Amiga on x86 hardware -

J.T.Kirk
25th June 2012, 10:50
Why you're keep saying "Amithalon"? :D

ptyerman
25th June 2012, 12:09
I know exactly what Amithlon is, I have used it myself on several machines. And as Phantom said, it's Amithlon and not Amithalon! :)

@ptyerman

Amithalon is based on a linux UAE, it has UAE integrated along with an 040 interpreter for the CPU.

I have an original copy Amithalon here, I love it, but its buggy as hell and getting it setup on a machine to run from HD is a bloody craze - unless you like working with grep a lot.

In essence Amithalon is a precursor to AROS. (thats put the cat amongst the pigeons)

Amiga XL is nice, but then I am a bit of a QNX fanboi! in a nut shell its not amiga, it has a lot of the Amiga feel at its core - being an RTOS (unlike windows / Linux) - but its not enough support.

AROS, is delightful, its soo damn close its amazing... its can support inline UAE emulation - even loading from a floppy disk! and it has transparent run-time opticode interpretation so native workbench apps can run natively in it.

All in all AROS is the future OS for classic Amiga on x86 hardware -

Zetr0
25th June 2012, 12:24
typo-nazis!

bdb
25th June 2012, 14:28
I'm not clear on this topic, you want to run Amiga software on a PC without emulation? Or do you want to have an "Amiga-like" operating system on a PC but will forgo running Amiga software?

The PC hardware is so different from an Amiga that there needs to be an interpretive layer between running a 680x0 instruction set and the Amiga chip set. If you want the best Amiga compatibility and without using emulation you should just use an Amiga. Even the AmigaNG's have to emulate an Amiga with a JIT interpretive layer.

Best emulation: UAE, best Amiga experience: Amiga. Neither: completely up to you