PDA

View Full Version : Hardware option for alternate Ctrl-Amiga-Amiga

jvdw007
2nd July 2012, 17:52
Dunno if this makes sense to anybody, but is there a way to possibly wire up some pins on the A4000D motherboard as an alternative to pressing Ctrl Amiga Amiga on the keyboard? I know it may sound daft, but I have a simple reason: My hd doesn't spin up fast enough when I turn on the power, so I need to wait a couple of seconds and then "soft reset" again for it to take. However, since I am now using wireless usb keyboard and mouse on the workbench, there's obviously no way to do this other than keeping the original keyboard plugged in, which isn't exactly the ideal set up for me.
Suggestions are welcome!

I was thinking about a a momentary switch wired to the power lin, but not sure that's such a good idea.
MSIE/6.0; (Spoofed by Amiga-AWeb/3.5.08 beta)

BLTCON0
2nd July 2012, 18:08
Pin 36 of FAT GARY (U150) asserts keyboard reset.

jvdw007
2nd July 2012, 23:15
Pin 36 of FAT GARY (U150) asserts keyboard reset.

Hi BLTCON0. I'm not an electronics person, so could you tell me in laymans terms how I would go about using pin 36. Would I need to solder a wire to the pin and run a ground wire somewhere else or what? Has anyone else done any hardware version of the reset?

BLTCON0
2nd July 2012, 23:32
Pin 36 should be high for normal operation and low when KB_RESET is asserted so yes, you can ground it to obtain a reset.
If you find a convenient solder pad with continuity to pin 36, that' d be the best place to solder the switch (unpressed - open circuit, pressed - closed circuit to ground).
I'm no electronics guru either but I think a resistor to ground would be required too, something like 4.7 or 10 KOhm.
I'm sure someone will provide more accurate info on these details :)

jvdw007
2nd July 2012, 23:57
Pin 36 should be high for normal operation and low when KB_RESET is asserted so yes, you can ground it to obtain a reset.
If you find a convenient solder pad with continuity to pin 36, that' d be the best place to solder the switch (unpressed - open circuit, pressed - closed circuit to ground).
I'm no electronics guru either but I think a resistor to ground would be required too, something like 4.7 or 10 KOhm.
I'm sure someone will provide more accurate info on these details :)

Eek, this is already turning into something way over my head. I was really hoping it would be easier than that. :picard
Thanks for the help anyway.

BLTCON0
3rd July 2012, 00:05
:)
The A1200 motherboard provides a very convenient solder pad with the reset signal adjacent to a ground solder pad but I have no idea if the A4000D motherboard offers a similar convenience. A quick look at the mobo isn't very promising though.

bdb
3rd July 2012, 00:53
I know this just solves the HDD problem and not the topic of keyboard resets, but on the A4000t the back has a row of switches for the internal SCSI and #5 set to on delays the boot time to allow spin up. Also most SCSI drives can be configured to handle delayed vs not.

Sorry if this is off topic and of no use

rkauer
3rd July 2012, 07:54
Route a wire from pin #6 of keyboard connector to a ground spot via a switch (normally open). Pin #6 carries the reset signal from keyboard to motherboard.

View from ouside:

http://old.pinouts.ru/connectors/minidin6f.gif

jvdw007
3rd July 2012, 13:36
Route a wire from pin #6 of keyboard connector to a ground spot via a switch (normally open). Pin #6 carries the reset signal from keyboard to motherboard.

View from ouside:

Oh that looks perfect, thanks! I'll give that a try rather.

Bad_Ad84
3rd July 2012, 14:08

View from ouside:

I thought that only works for the wedge amigas? Big box amigas use a different method for reset?

BLTCON0
3rd July 2012, 16:29
Yes, they use reset warning IIRC.
And indeed, the schematics for the A4000D don't show any reset signal wired to the mini DIN connector :?