What exactly is this item?

Re: What exactly is this item?

I've not seen one of these before. My first thoughts were some kind of Genlock device, but as the seller hasn't provided any images of the rear of the unit to see the connections it is hard to tell. I can't imagine it is just a large self powered modulator, that would be silly.

My only other guess is that it takes the Amiga RGB signal and converts it for a different TV format to the Amigas native one. So for example providing a PAL output from an NTSC Amiga. All pure guessing though. It might be worth asking the seller for some more information as I couldn't find this unit in either of the main Amiga hardware directories.

MegaMod TC might be the man to ask. ;)

Kin

I am almost certain this is some genlock-type device that was used in older tv-stations.... quite useless if you ask me...

Not un-useful if the rig have a S-VHS video out, as some few genlocks have. S-VHS is the holy grail for NTSC Amiga users: it can be used to convert RGB to a standard to use in modern TV sets.

Remember that outside Europe nobody have SCART.

Without seeing the back of it, I have no idea what it is.

Looks a bit big for a modulator, and I wouldn't expect a modulator to have a power switch.

Some kind of genlock maybe?

rkauer said:
Not un-useful if the rig have a S-VHS video out, as some few genlocks have. S-VHS is the holy grail for NTSC Amiga users: it can be used to convert RGB to a standard to use in modern TV sets.

Remember that outside Europe nobody have SCART.

the most lucky people were the French. In France SCART is know as "cable peritel" IIRC , and *ALL* devices had to have this. They had RGB in master system, saturn, nes, snes, etc straight out of the box. No hassle to go get one with the machine, it was considered the standard equipment!
All other parts just got a lousy AV cable instead , or an RF modulator...

keropi said:
They had RGB in master system, saturn, nes, snes, etc straight out of the box. No hassle to go get one with the machine, it was considered the standard equipment!
All other parts just got a lousy AV cable instead , or an RF modulator...

That's why I got a French edition NES! :thumbsup2:

Still need to disable the lockout chip, but I'll do that when I have the time to set it up, which will be when I can afford to buy some games for it.

awesome Firthy2002 (y)
but why mess with the lockout chip? Aren't all PAL games the same? Or you wanna use 60hz ones?

Back
Top Bottom