PDA

View Full Version : Getting an old Mac online (Wifi & OS X)

dougal
7th July 2012, 08:51
I have an old Apple iBook G3 Clamshell and I am trying to get it to connect to my Wifi but its giving me hassles.

It has an original Apple Airport wireless card.

When i try and connect it says there was an error joining the network but if it is a WEP or no security it connects no problems. Only WPA it says error joining network.

I meet the requirements http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2594

I was running 10.3 and now upgraded to 10.4 Tiger but still same problems.

I am now doing the 10.4.11 update and i will see what happens but i dont have high hopes.

Any ideas what i can try ? I know my wireless is fine as no other computers or devices have any problems connecting.

AndyLandy
7th July 2012, 08:58
Your best bet is to make sure your OS and firmware (both on the card and the system itself) are up-to-date. How far did you patch the 10.3 installation? You might find that a fully-patched 10.3 does the business for you.

dougal
7th July 2012, 09:04
Your best bet is to make sure your OS and firmware (both on the card and the system itself) are up-to-date. How far did you patch the 10.3 installation? You might find that a fully-patched 10.3 does the business for you.

10.3 was fully updated. I had done it while connected to a neighbors open network.

scole
7th July 2012, 09:29
I vaguely recall WPA not being possible on that hardware, when I was trying to get my clamshell wireless I had the same issue and I recall reading up on it and eventually conceding defeat and settling with WEP.

portarinos
7th July 2012, 09:44
Unfortunately, you'll have to install Leopard, which, according to my knowledge isn't possible for your G3 iBook. I have the same problems with my iMac (Lamp) and settled with Tiger and WEP in order to avoid further fuss. :(

dougal
7th July 2012, 10:05
WPA used to work on a previous iBook G3 i had. It was a newer G3 with Tiger too but 800Mhz dual USB.

WEP is not much security :(

scole
7th July 2012, 10:14
Yeah, I have a dual USB g3 iBook that will take WPA under OSX (but not OS9). The clamshell though, think its going to be a bust for you I'm afraid...

You could go WEP and set up MAC address filtering on your router to only accept connections from your own machines. *Should* keep out any villains...

S

mjnurney
8th July 2012, 14:40
i cannot connect to my wifi with 10.3 but 10.4 with updates will, the authentication is set up different on 10.4.

if you use a cheap wifi dongle from ebay they may support 10.3 or earlier

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Micro-Airport-Extreme-Compatible-WiFi-300Mbps-802-11n-Wireless-USB-Mac-OS-X-/350579316694?pt=UK_Computing_Other_Computing_Networking&hash=item51a027d7d6#ht_590wt_1180

not tried it but i have similar ones

woodycool
8th July 2012, 18:24
I've managed to get WPA to work on Tiger, but it was a bit flakey.
You need to have all the updates for the OS installed and the AirPort card's firmware needs to be updated as well. The important update is the 'AirPort' update, but normally you do not get offered this update through the 'Software Update' process, you'll have to pop on to Apple's website and download it.

The iBook I'm using (and posting this from) is an iBook G3 Dual USB (one of the funky white ones with the Apple logo that lights up on the back)

dougal
9th July 2012, 12:04
Yes i had one of those ibooks G3 800Mhz dual USB and that worked fine on Tiger with WPA.

If it helps my Router / ADSL is a Thomson TG585 V8.

I have tried setting it like follows:

WPA/WPA2 Enrcyption - See's network but says there is a problem connecting
WPA Only - See's network but says there is a problem connecting
WEP - See's network and connects fine
No Security - See's network / connects fine

Tried 802.11B/G/N Mixed, Tried 802.11B/G and 802.11B but the same as above, WPA will not work.

The Airport card i *think* has the latest updates.

What is funny is that it DID connect to my neighbors WPA protected wireless router. Router was another make (not thomson but dont know what it was).

My Router is fine because everything i own (and my friends) wifi devices like my iMac, Macbook Air, G4 Powerbook, iPhones, iPad, PS3, Wii etc.. etc.. all work with no issues.

woodycool
9th July 2012, 18:52
WPA2 is definitely out of the question, I've tried it and never got it to work.

Ordinary WPA did work, but as mentioned above, I had hassle with it and had to do a lot of updates etc.
WEP and no encryption worked fine.

Now, I remember from having OS X Puma, but back then, any WEP passwords had to be prefixed with a $ sign otherwise you'd get a message saying that the password was incorrect.

However, I'm running on a wired ethernet connection at the moment as my router's wireless is f****d and doesn't work with any of my computers, old or new LOL :lol:

dougal
9th July 2012, 23:00
WPA2 is definitely out of the question, I've tried it and never got it to work.

Ordinary WPA did work, but as mentioned above, I had hassle with it and had to do a lot of updates etc.
WEP and no encryption worked fine.

Now, I remember from having OS X Puma, but back then, any WEP passwords had to be prefixed with a $ sign otherwise you'd get a message saying that the password was incorrect.

However, I'm running on a wired ethernet connection at the moment as my router's wireless is f****d and doesn't work with any of my computers, old or new LOL :lol:

Yes tried the dollar $ thingy too but it didnt work. Like you said that is for WEP. Might be my router's security stuff has some incompatibility with the old Airport card.

I wish i could enable BOTH WPA/WPA2 for all my other stuff with an EXCEPTION (through MAC filtering) for the iBook.

DonAmiga
10th July 2012, 07:55
I bought an old Apple router and wire connected it to my main router that way I have both giving out the different wifi connections and the old mac connect hassle free ;)

Gouldin
10th July 2012, 08:51
Easiest bet would be to check if it's upgradable to the Airport Extreme card that is the updated one in the G4's. These support WPA2 and have no issues whatsoever.

scole
10th July 2012, 10:38
Going from memory here, but I think that I resolved the same problem (but with a G3 iMac with original airport card and running 10.4.11) by setting the router mode to "b only" rather than "mixed mode". I may have that backwards though... Maybe worth a shot.

Failing that, WEP and MAC filtering may be your only option.

dougal
10th July 2012, 12:26
Easiest bet would be to check if it's upgradable to the Airport Extreme card that is the updated one in the G4's. These support WPA2 and have no issues whatsoever.

Nope, the G3 Macs cannot go beyond the original Airport card. Only G4's and up can use the Airport extreme cards.

---------- Post added at 13:26 ---------- Previous post was at 13:24 ----------

Going from memory here, but I think that I resolved the same problem (but with a G3 iMac with original airport card and running 10.4.11) by setting the router mode to "b only" rather than "mixed mode". I may have that backwards though... Maybe worth a shot.

Failing that, WEP and MAC filtering may be your only option.

Already tried setting the router to B mode only but no difference.

I think to keep WPA & even WPA 2 my best option is to buy one of those micro USB wifi dongles that come with OSX drivers. The shame is that it would have been nice to use the original in-built Airport card and keep the USB slot free.

matt3k
10th July 2012, 12:39
Perhaps this laptop will be a candidate for MOS when it is released?

I deleted OSX off my powerbook, once MOS 3 was released. It is a great OS and much faster than OSX.

dougal
16th July 2012, 06:16
Well this is strange... I had an old DigiConnect (??) Wireless G router which i setup in addition to my Thomson router and its setup with WPA and my iBook connected and is working perfectly. Funny thing is that my iPhones & iPad don't always work with it. Everything else does. No problem because i have 2 routers now, just strange.

On a side note, AmiBay looks and feels great on this old 800x600 resolution and only 366Mhz iBook :) ... Looks like Amibay is designed for 800x600 :)