PDA

View Full Version : Serial (RS232) to Ethernet experience

bdb
9th July 2012, 00:01
I just finished reading "thgill's" post on using a Serial-to-Ethernet adapter with his A500 to get to some BBS's; I've checked the cost of these adapters and they are affordable, not cheap, but affordable. I'm always looking into options for keeping my "vintage" computers usable in our current times and wondered if folks could comment on their experiences (before I delve into buying one and attempting to get up and on-line). After all, you guys know how these projects go, always a "learning experience" --a pain in the rear in other words.

bdb

Oh, for parallel-to-USB there is the LPT2USB device to connect USB printers to non-USB computers

desiv
9th July 2012, 00:26
The serial to ethernet adapters, at their base level, as as easy as it gets.

Make sure its configured for modem emulation, hook it up to the Amiga.

Load your favorite terminal program and go...

The hardest part is finding telnet BBSes that are still running.
But back in the day, finding dial up BBSes that were still running was the hardest part also. ;-)

I've been meaning to test the null modem (direct serial) emulation for direct games, but haven't had the time yet... Keep letting life get in the way..

desiv

SkydivinGirl
9th July 2012, 02:29
I have a bunch of these devices and they work wonderfully. I made a post on Lemon64 (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=site%3Alemon64.com%20skydivingirl%20mss100&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDcQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lemon64.com%2Fforum%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D33924%26sid%3Da20d9a2fba959ba237a87a27d379618a&ei=YjP6T5uvFYWS9gTJnPCBBw&usg=AFQjCNFA6MmMAIANXEZcrxaCVNBpOZHZFA&cad=rja) on how to configure the Lantronix MSS100 for use on a C64. The settings are the same for most retro computers, but the baud rate might be different depending on the system.

I see the MSS100 on eBay quite often for very affordable prices.

Heather

bdb
10th July 2012, 05:19
Thanks folks,

I've ordered one and plan on testing it on my home network before going out into the real world

ChrisUnionNJ
10th July 2012, 07:14
Heather is this the right one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lantronix-External-Device-Server-MSS-100-/300736517962?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46054b174a

:coffee:

bdb
10th July 2012, 08:24
That's the one I bought (no power supply, but I have at least a dozen)

rkauer
10th July 2012, 08:29
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lantronix-External-Device-Server-MSS-100-/300736517962?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46054b174a

That's one of the available devices, Chris.

I have the dual-serial interface (UDS200) and it is awesome to connect two computers (at same time!) to my router and do a play around the interwebz with my A3000 and the A500 (the A1200 have its own WIFI PCMCIA).:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

tribz
10th July 2012, 09:28

That's one of the available devices, Chris.

I have the dual-serial interface (UDS200) and it is awesome to connect two computers (at same time!) to my router and do a play around the interwebz with my A3000 and the A500 (the A1200 have its own WIFI PCMCIA).:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

With the A500, do you connect it via serial to the adaptor and then just plug the adaptor into the router? What connection software are you using on the A500?

I'm looking at getting my minimig online so sounds like it could do the trick.

bdb
10th July 2012, 13:07
Well I don't have an A500, nor the device in my hot, sweaty hands. But I have a VIC-20 or two, an 8032, two C128D's, a C64 or two, an Apple IIGS, an A2500HD, and two A4000T's; the CBM 8-bit machines need the user port-to-RS 232 adapter and then I assume all of them will connect to my router wirelessly or via my 5-port switch; for the 8032 I'll have to locate some terminal software which 27 years ago I entered by hand as a Basic program and saved to tape. That tape is long lost and though I have a dual HD floppy (Plus an IEEE 422 printer) I've never even seen any floppy software. I have several programs for the 64's and 128D's plus a lot of options for the Amy's.

See folks prior posts (like the Lemon64 site) for factual information.

My wireless solution is a ZuniDigital ZR301F wireless bridge that is inexpensive, easy to set up and can have power supplied via USB or small transformer; I can then plug that into a switch and connect a handful of devices.

tribz
10th July 2012, 13:18
Just curious as rkauer mentioned the internet rather than terminal software which implied internet access rather than bbs. I'm hoping its internet access. (http://www.amibay.com/member.php?u=268)

80sFREAK
10th July 2012, 13:28
Ummm, just thinking, why do you need adaptor? How about share connection via TTY?

tribz
10th July 2012, 13:55
First question, whats tty sharing and how would it work? :)

Wolfy
10th July 2012, 14:23
would it be possible to use amitcp with plip/slip and a linux gateway?

this is one of those long night winter tasks...

---------- Post added at 14:23 ---------- Previous post was at 14:22 ----------

which would allow routing of tcp/ip traffic over parralel or serial cable

tribz
10th July 2012, 14:25
would it be possible to use amitcp with plip/slip and a linux gateway?

this is one of those long night winter tasks...

---------- Post added at 14:23 ---------- Previous post was at 14:22 ----------

which would allow routing of tcp/ip traffic over parralel or serial cable

Yes, this is one of those things I've been working on doing. Using a virtualised W2K server with Dial in modem networking using the null modem driver and then using SLIP via AmiTCP. Its definately doable.

Wolfy
10th July 2012, 14:33
hmmm, I will have to purchase some connectors and make up a null modem cable, would be nice to have tcp/ip networking on my 500 and 1500, even if just for file transfers.

80sFREAK
10th July 2012, 14:46
Yes, linux gateway and these days almost every router or modem running linux I saw some cables in a trade zone here, i think...

joe384
10th July 2012, 15:16
This is what I was thinking of last night while reading this thread...

Configure SLIP on the amiga, and use slattach on a linux box. You can even get PCI cards with 4 serial ports on them :thumbsup:

SkydivinGirl
10th July 2012, 15:26
That's the one I bought (no power supply, but I have at least a dozen)
Yeah, none of them have power supplies when I get them from eBay. Sorry I didn't post sooner, but I lost track of this thread! :lol:

Please let me know if you come across an 8032 terminal program. I'd like to use one on my PET.

Good luck!

Heather

bdb
10th July 2012, 15:47
My thinking was along the lines of the serial-to-Ethernet box would represent a modem to MiamiDX or Roadshow; it would ignore (if any) dialing and simply transfer the data just like a serial-to-serial gadget ought to. You are then limited only by the RS-232 transfer rate with 230k (keep in mind this in bits-per-second, not bytes) at the top end. The standard Amiga serial device falls far below this which is why "they" came out with a bunch of faster serial cards. The poor 8-bit devices won't show any speed and on the Internet would be text only; I was thinking of them as a way out to the BBS's where I no longer have a land line (and likely will never have one again). Bye-Bye Ma' Bell...

Yes I've "networked" (really just connected) two computers with a null modem cable (remember LapLink cables & software) as well as a cross-over "parnet" cable; there was a faster way between Amigas using a modified cable between disk drive ports -- the 23-pin connector i heard, was a pain. I still have those serial & ParNet cables (and yes my LapLink cables) and a Cat-5 cross-over cable. My main aim was to have a universal solution to network access without regard to secondary hardware such as Ethernet cards with the knowledge that compared to 10 Megabits per second, 230k is just a start of a transfer and go to sleep or watch a movie; it is though better than dial-up.

desiv
10th July 2012, 16:14
There's some confusion about these devices.
They will not, by themselves, work as a dial up emulator.

You don't use AmiTCP and get a connection to the Internet.

They are modem emulators.

They show up as a modem to the Amiga, so any program that recognizes a modem will work.
I just JRComm mostly, but any terminal program will work.

There are numerous people who have set up BBSes (as in the old days), but they are available via telnet.
What this device allows you to do is "dial" into those telnet BBSes.

You "could" use AmiTCP (or TermiteTCP) with this device, but what will you be dialing in TO???
You would need a linux box (or some other SLIP/PPP provider) to connect to, but getty/mgetty listens on serial ports, not ethernet.
So you would need to tweak it to listen on ethernet (PPPOE ?????), and then you might be able to get a dial-up type of connection.

I've been meaning to try that, but haven't had the time...
You could place another serial to ethernet box on your Linux box, and have the Amiga "dial in" to the Linux boxes adapter...

Another option would be something that is really fuzzy.... I seem to remember, back in the day, using a dial-in-terminal session (not PPP, just a shell account) and a program called "slirp/slurp"??? to get a SLIP connection over a terminal session..
That's all pretty hazy tho... Many moons ago.. ;-)

Now, it's not speedy..
As was mentioned, the Amiga serial port (non-accelerated Amiga) won't give you anywhere near 230k. You can have 10M hanging off of it, but you're getting 19,200 or so...

That said, even just "dialing" into a BBS is great fun.

You know what someone should write?
A vBulletin plugin that allows a telnet/text/BBS look and feel!!!
That would be awesome! :-) :-) :-)
(Looking past the security and config nightmares involved, that is..)

desiv

bdb
10th July 2012, 16:30
I use MiamiDX on my 3.x OS because the lpr.device I need to print to my two printers will not work with AmiTCP. I have all the Termite and IBrowse original disks, but both Miami and Roadshow have setup options for using the serial Port to ISDN/DSL/modem devices. My guess that if they get a response back the TCP stack won't care what is sending them data. I'm not a network expert, but a few bucks spent on •bay may prove a learning experience even if I only end up connecting my 8-bitters to a BBS

SkydivinGirl
10th July 2012, 16:33
it would ignore (if any) dialing and simply transfer the data just like a serial-to-serial gadget ought to
When you connect the MSS-100 in Modem Mode, your computer works with it exactly as it would work with a real modem. You use Hayes AT commands to dial, hang up, etc. The big difference happens when you dial a phone number. Instead of using a phone number in your phone book or when issuing an ATDT command, you use the IP Address or DNS Host Name. So, if I wanted to connect to another device, such as another Lantronix in modem mode, a telnet BBS, a terminal listening on an IP port, etc., I would issue a command like:

atdt 192.168.0.99
or
atdt mybbs.com

If you don't use the modem emulation mode, the device acts as a virtual serial port. To connect to the device from a PC, you would use the Lantronix Com Port Redirector (http://www.lantronix.com/device-networking/utilities-tools/com-port-redirector.html) software. You could also configure two Lantronix devices to automatically connect to each other. This would literally give you a virtual serial cable from one device to the other.

At work, we use the Com Port Redirector Software and Lantronix devices to connect our old, serial only, time clocks to the network. You configure a com port to point to the IP Address of the Lantronix device then whenever you try to connect to that com port, you are connected over the network to the time clock.

I've got a lot of experience with these so I'm happy to help out anyone who needs assistance. I still want to try to play a game of Firepower over the Internet using two of these devices. :)

Heather

desiv
10th July 2012, 16:39
I use MiamiDX on my 3.x OS because the lpr.device I need to print to my two printers will not work with AmiTCP.
It doesn't matter if it's AmiTCP, Termite, or MiamiDX (I assume Miami DX supports modems, I've only used it with ethernet)

... My guess that if they get a response back the TCP stack won't care what is sending them data.

And that's the point. You need to get a response back.
That response back needs to be a PPP/SLIP response.
The modem emulator won't give you that. It is just a modem...

If you have a PPP/SLIP server that can respond over ethernet, then you could connect to that device... It sounds a bit like what PPPoE is, but I have a feeling that it isn't just straight PPP listening on ethernet, but a more robust protocol. Unfortunately, I'm not that familiar with PPPoE....

I've got a lot of experience with these so I'm happy to help out anyone who needs assistance. I still want to try to play a game of Firepower over the Internet using two of these devices. :smile:

I know.. ;-) I have moved all of my Amigas around recently and I have the A500 set up with my adapter connected, so I should be able to try this...
I can't remember if Firepower is modem or null modem? If it's modem, then it should be as easy as my tweaking my router to allow TCP/23 into my Lantronix and we're good to test..
(Not too worried about the security implications of someone hacking my Amiga 500... ;-) )

desiv

bdb
10th July 2012, 16:50
Heather, you are real gold mine!

Thank you for the offer to help; when my Lantronix device comes in I may give you a jingle. I currently have no need to connect my home devices to each other other than having my iPhone print on my network and transfer photos. I set up Samba under OS 4.1 to see if it was possible, only to find out Samba won't talk to Windows 7 (nor Vista); it was just a try for the experience. I used to have my work PC protected with PGP which encrypted the hard drive with a 32K hardware key (USB thumb device) plus a password. Not for any tangible reason except to garner some experience with it.

SkydivinGirl
10th July 2012, 17:45
I can't remember if Firepower is modem or null modem?
I know for a fact that there is modem communication because I used to play with a friend in Michigan over the phone lines. I'm almost certain there's null modem capability for local play. Either one should work with the Lantronix. :)

@bdb

No problem at all. Feel free to pick my brain once you have your Lantronix adapter. :) As you say though, just trying to figure out if things can be done is half the fun!

Heather

80sFREAK
10th July 2012, 23:32
You would need a linux box (or some other SLIP/PPP provider) to connect to, but getty/mgetty listens on serial ports, not ethernet.

Sounds like solution

That said, even just "dialing" into a BBS is great fun.

It is!

A vBulletin plugin that allows a telnet/text/BBS look and feel!!!
That would be awesome! desiv

And if it's text only, you don't really need very fast connection

rkauer
11th July 2012, 05:23
I used Miami, the adaptor hooked to my router and that's it!

Configuring Miami to proper internet navigation is boring and not recommended to people with suicidal tendencies.

In my case I used my SCSI+8Mb A500 and a copy of Amosaic (pretty ancient) and successfully accessed Aminet. This is the end of my web browsing using an A500, lol.

FTP is faster enough and I recommend it even for intranet sharing (Samba handler). For a bit of more speed, go for baudbandit (Aminet), successfully getting 33k on my A500.

BTW: I'm using my UDS200 in modem emulation. My router acts as the "internet provider". I love modern technology, some times.

desiv
11th July 2012, 05:30
I used Miami, the adaptor hooked to my router and that's it!

Your router accepts a pseudo dial-up connection over ethernet and provides the SLIP/PPP response that Miami is looking for?????

Wow..

What type of router is that?

desiv

rkauer
11th July 2012, 05:54
An ordinary D-Link, mate. The router itself does not know about what is asking for an IP, the modem emulator takes care of that.

The SLIP/PPP is configured directly into the Lantronix device and inside the Miami software. No sweat to make this kludge works. Honestly.

In Miami I just typed an available IP from the router.

The (very) hard task was resolving the DNS IP.:banghead: That particular bit take ages to figure out. In the end I simply gave up and typed Aminet IP directly into Amosaic.

Xanxi
25th January 2013, 07:54
An ordinary D-Link, mate. The router itself does not know about what is asking for an IP, the modem emulator takes care of that.

The SLIP/PPP is configured directly into the Lantronix device and inside the Miami software. No sweat to make this kludge works. Honestly.

In Miami I just typed an available IP from the router.

The (very) hard task was resolving the DNS IP.:banghead: That particular bit take ages to figure out. In the end I simply gave up and typed Aminet IP directly into Amosaic.

Is it possible to use this device with fixed IP instead of DHCP? I also want to connect my A500 to my fixed IP network.

rkauer
28th January 2013, 04:14
Yes, you must enter into its configuration via the network. Check the page of the device you have.

Xanxi
28th January 2013, 06:12
Is it as simple as connecting one device into the A500 serial port, then the ethernet cable into my router (which is an ISP box and may be not easily tweakable)?
Or do i need 2 lantronix (one for the amiga and one for a PC that remains switched on)?

rkauer
28th January 2013, 06:40
One unit (there are a few dual-RS232 to Ethernet, as mine, permitting two computers connecting at same time!) and the lan wire to the router.

Let the Lantronix do the DHCP and read the manual on Lantronix website.

SkydivinGirl
28th January 2013, 13:54
As Rogerio said, these are very easy to configure. The great thing is that you can manually configure them if needed and there are a lot of options. You can even make one Lantronix adapter automatically connect to another one if you like. The possibilities are endless.

I tried playing Firepower over the Internet with another AmiBay member and it worked! Latency issues did cause it to be a bit quirky and slow, but we didn't play with the settings very much.

Heather

Xanxi
28th January 2013, 20:05
Well, i must buy one (or two) immediatly :)
If that permits null-modem link over the internet, everyone must buy one on Amibay to create a new online gaming community (Lotus2, Vroom, etc).

SkydivinGirl
28th January 2013, 21:24
It will certainly act like a Null modem. The only issue is the lag. I'd be happy to help you test out some games. :thumbsup:

Heather

ChrisUnionNJ
19th August 2013, 04:48
I have a bunch of these devices and they work wonderfully. I made a post on Lemon64 (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=site%3Alemon64.com%20skydivingirl%20mss100&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDcQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lemon64.com%2Fforum%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D33924%26sid%3Da20d9a2fba959ba237a87a27d379618a&ei=YjP6T5uvFYWS9gTJnPCBBw&usg=AFQjCNFA6MmMAIANXEZcrxaCVNBpOZHZFA&cad=rja) on how to configure the Lantronix MSS100 for use on a C64. The settings are the same for most retro computers, but the baud rate might be different depending on the system.

I see the MSS100 on eBay quite often for very affordable prices.

Heather

Heather's setting also work on the Amiga with no problems just change the Baud I use 19.2 till I try 38.4...:thumbsup:

And thanks Heather that was a great post I did not know I had to
use a null modem with that device..:thumbsup:

rkauer
19th August 2013, 06:19
Add one of those puppies with a real fast serial interface like a clockport Port+Jnr (http://www.bigbookofamigahardware.com/bboah/product.aspx?id=620) or a MultifaceIII and you'll have a faster internet experience than some Amiga Ethernet card!

Oh, there is a parallel version of the Lantronix devices, too!

SkydivinGirl
19th August 2013, 13:58
@Chris

I'm very happy the settings worked well for you! Lantronix has these serial devices that are meant to be connected as either a computer or a modem. For the ones that act like a computer connection, like the MSS100 devices, a null modem needs to be used to connect it to a computer; just like you would connect two computers together via serial. There ones that connect like a modem don't require the null modem adapter. :)

@Rogerio

I didn't realize they made parallel versions! That might be fun to try out.

Heather