PDA

View Full Version : Fixing a cracked case

protek
9th July 2012, 16:00
Ok, let's say you have a computer with a case that has a crack or an entire piece missing. The obvious solution is to find a replacement part but in some cases that may be hard to come by and therefore not a cheap solution.

So, has anyone used filler putties or similar fix a case that has an entire corner or similar piece missing? What products would you suggest for the job?

cosmicfrog
9th July 2012, 16:02
all I know about cracks is drill em before they go any further

Justin
9th July 2012, 16:20
yes i have!! :)

there are some pictures of the repair in my album section i think? i'll dig around for them later:cool:

bugger, can't do that the albums section is missing :(

i'll find the name of the stuff i used tonight (I think it was modellers putty)

roy_bates
9th July 2012, 16:25
if its just a crack you could use two part epoxy resin its really strong when its set.

ajk
9th July 2012, 18:08
@protek

I've done some stuff like that:

Case front bezel repair (http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=12106)

Tufty
9th July 2012, 21:08
Hi protek

In a past life, well when I was younger and modelled, (not topless:shhh:honest!) the best thing I found was a product called Miliput.
Very fine textured, two part putty that you could mould/smooth with a wet finger to minimise sanding when dry. Didn't shrink and held paint finish very well. :thumbsup:

Kind regards

Chris...

wangerman69
9th July 2012, 21:12
all I know about cracks is drill em before they go any further

Must remember to use that one as a chat up line :whistle:

Tufty
9th July 2012, 21:15
Either you'll get lucky or get a smack in the face:cool:

Kind regards

Chris...

wangerman69
9th July 2012, 21:18
nothing ventured and all that

Tufty
9th July 2012, 21:35
Ahh yes. The thrill of the chase, the victories, the battle scars.

Bloody nightmare :Doh: What for? Years of strife, grey hair and perennial poverty.

Worth it then :whistle:

Kind regards

Chris...

wangerman69
9th July 2012, 21:39
Ahh yes. The thrill of the chase, the victories, the battle scars.

Bloody nightmare :Doh: What for? Years of strife, grey hair and perennial poverty.

Worth it then :whistle:

Kind regards
:thumbsup:
Chris...

LOL

I can beat that one my missus has horses :wooha:
Try that one for a drain on the wallet :mad:

davideo
9th July 2012, 21:40
@All

Back on topic please

Dave G :cool:

wangerman69
9th July 2012, 21:43
Sorry boss :oops:

cosmicfrog
9th July 2012, 21:46
dam and I was just about say something

Tufty
9th July 2012, 21:58
Apologies. :thumbsup:

Kind regards

Chris...

---------- Post added at 21:58 ---------- Previous post was at 21:50 ----------

Back on topic. :)

Had a look on Fleabay and Milliput (forgot an L in the first mention) is still sold and simiar price to years ago.

The standard Yellow/Grey is the one to use, it's quite pale when cured.

Mix the two parts together till it's a uniform colour, then away you go.

Kind regards

Chris...

davideo
9th July 2012, 21:59
@All

A slight detour is fine but this was heading way off track :oops:

wangerman69
9th July 2012, 22:20
Again back on track I think our American cousins use a product called bondo which is a plastic filler I think

davideo
9th July 2012, 22:22
@Protek

It may help us to help you if we could see a piccy of the damage.

Depending on the damage and the material you could use fibreglass to reinforce it from the inside and putty etc to make good the external finish.

Tufty
9th July 2012, 22:28
Just a word of caution.

Some of the car fillers have a melting effect on plastics due to the chemical composition and produce heat as a byproduct of the curing process.

Had a Datsun 240Z model that I thought I could customise with Plastic Padding, ended up with a soft mess. :mad:

Kind regards

Chris...

protek
10th July 2012, 11:02
Thanks for all the responses. I have a case that is missing a piece that is the size of a fingertip. Don't have the missing piece and it resides in a corner so some kind of mold is required.

ajk
10th July 2012, 11:17
For making a mold I can recommend "ShapeLock (http://shapelock.com/)" or equivalent. I found some here in Finland at Clas Ohlson. It's essentially a plastic that becomes soft at 60C or so, but when cool, is very tough. Excellent for duplicating a shape or in general for making molds.

protek
10th July 2012, 11:38
For making a mold I can recommend "ShapeLock (http://shapelock.com/)" or equivalent. I found some here in Finland at Clas Ohlson. It's essentially a plastic that becomes soft at 60C or so, but when cool, is very tough. Excellent for duplicating a shape or in general for making molds.

Sounds cool! Have to try that also for fixing the door panels of my Saab Sonett. Thanks for the tip!