AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Country
England
Region
Herts
Assuming AmiOracle is for Amiga... asking here

Just got a nice clean STE and upgraded to 4Mb but can't check if all works or recognised.

Then realised I am a little stuck without a PC FDD (so I'll get one) and without any disk formatters or clever accesory prgs for the STE.

Obviously I need to be able to write STE disks on the PC - my dusty memory tells me we could do this but I'll probably also want to network the PC and STE in some way. Its a W7 x64 PC (with no serial or parallel ports but I can buy PCI cards to add them).

Could some kind ST owner help me out with a FDD with say a decent formatter and SysInfo Prg. Perhaps point me at some other things I should look into?

Finally... anyone know where to get those nice 4160STE badges?

Thanks
Meth

Hi Meth,

The STE can read FDD's formatted as double density on the PC so you need nothing special there and you can transfer files easily this way. The PC can also easily create ST formatted floppies from ST disk images by using an application called FLOIMG available from http://8bitchip.info/atari/. You don't need any additional hardware and it all works pretty seamlessly.

Networking an STE is not as easy as an A1200, but you can buy something like an EtherNEC (http://www.freemint.org/ethernec/ethernec.html). I don't know how it works so I can't vouch for it one or the other.

Given how easy it is to move data from a PC to an STE, I've never really seen the need for a network solution but I'd be interested in how you go if you end up getting one.

You can also go down the route of a SatanDisk or UltraSatan which is basically an SD-Card HDD solution for an ST/STE if you want to.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks guys. I did look at Satandisk but none for sale now ;)

I also looked at FloIMG etc but none of these work with USB Floppy drives (my PC is modern!).

I guess I could buy a USB FDD for using on a single disk to copy ParCP and Ghostlink etc onto a 720k and then I'd be sorted. It just seems a little extreme when I might find a friendly user who could pop them on a FDD and I wouldnt need to buy a USB FDD then?! ;)

I did look at Satandisk but none for sale now ;)
Ultrasatan is still in production. Contact Zaxon here or over at Atari-forum.com

http://www.zaxon.eu/

I also looked at FloIMG etc but none of these work with USB Floppy drives (my PC is modern!).
Correct. FDRAWCMD only works with motherboard floppy controllers. Unless you want to pay for a custom USB floppy controller such as Kryoflux

http://www.kryoflux.com/

The badges were available from a user over at Atari-forum. Just use the search feature of the BBS

I know of Zaxon (I'm on the Atari forum which is less active than this) and he's disappeared for some time now.. having taken some orders. I'd rather not send money to someone who drops in and out ;)

I'll go search there for the badges tho.. thanks

@Meth

I am looking into making an ACSI to SCSI adapter, as well as an IDE adapter for the Atari ST.

for more info have a look at this project page from Pera Putnik

I never got any reply from Ppera about the schematics for his cartridge port CF adapter.

I have some simple schematics to add IDE to ACSI, well compact flash at any rate.

I believe that its limited to 1GB without ROM update, but hey - should be simple and cheap to make - bonus for everyone really!

I have some simple schematics to add IDE to ACSI, well compact flash at any rate.

I believe that its limited to 1GB without ROM update, but hey - should be simple and cheap to make - bonus for everyone really!

1Gb for an ST is plenty... Count me in!!

Good luck. Internal solderless ST-Book style IDE adapters are notoriously difficult to make for STfm, easier for STe. Neither easy to install nor cheap to manufacture.

IDE (CF)-> ACSI is AFAIK difficult without a CPLD / CPU doing the conversion?

I'd be interested to know what you were thinking? I'm sure one of the bigger Atari resellers would consider investing (16/32-bit or MyAtari) if something was to make them a profit?

well the schematic below denotes CF as opposed to direct ATA implementation of IDE

ACSI_CF1.png

It doesn't look complicated at all, however how this will go with older ST's without a blitter I am unsure - alas I am new ST hardware - while I had one as a much younger Zetr0, I only had it 18 months before trading up to an A500 / A600 and then A1200.

So lots to learn me thinks.

@Zetr0:
Have you already visited atari-forum.com? Lots of helpful chaps with knowledge of ST systems over there.

indeed, before I start the project I shall most certainly make my self known and familiar over there =)

Zetro, you might wanna talk to Alexh... he's also an ST bod...

Seems there is a real shortage of options for STFM and STE owners these days. An ACSI or Cartridge to CF adapter would sell well, so would internal solutions (PLCC 68k and ZIF 68k to IDE/CF adapters)

Hope you're not too busy... :LOL:

An ACSI or Cartridge to CF adapter would sell well, so would internal solutions (PLCC 68k and ZIF 68k to IDE/CF adapters)
I dunno.

A lot of Retro ST owners already have (Ultra)Satandisk's (ACSI->SD) adapters and another proportion have HxC-SD floppy emulators. The market is seriously eroded.

You can boot from UltraSatanDisk, you cannot boot from the above ACSI->CF adapter.

Nobody makes SatanDisk or UltraSatan.. sure I'd buy one if I could (and not thru Zaxxon who is 101% unreliable)... Happy if someone made those

I looked at HXC and HXCmount but many people say its very limited in speed and size of "HD" emulated

I still think the holy grail is a clone of Mario Becrofts internal IDE :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom