My MAME Arcade Machine

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
Hey everyone!

Earlier this year I put together a MAME Arcade Machine and I never got around to sharing the results of my endeavor. Here's what's in the machine:

The VGA box does not currently do anything but I am going to use it to attach my Dreamcast and perhaps another console. Maybe even my CD32. :)

The machine works incredibly well and runs every game and emulator I've tried on it so far. I have not yet configured it for Amiga emulation, but that is definitely on my list! The sound from these almost 10 year old speakers is incredible and the 27" Flat CRT gives a genuine arcade experience on every game. The wireless connection allows me to easily work on the machine remotely from my notebook and also allows for streaming music and video over the internet. The 800x600 maximum resolution on the monitor makes it difficult to use for web browsing, but definitely not impossible.

The most difficult part of this project was aligning and mounting the monitor! I will never do that myself again! That thing is HEAVY!!!

Please ask any questions you like! I don't know what else to put here.

Here's some pics:

[attachment=6:3ccsy0fz]MAME Cabinet 001.JPG[/attachment:3ccsy0fz]
[attachment=5:3ccsy0fz]MAME Cabinet 002.JPG[/attachment:3ccsy0fz]
[attachment=4:3ccsy0fz]MAME Cabinet 003.JPG[/attachment:3ccsy0fz]
[attachment=3:3ccsy0fz]MAME Cabinet 004.JPG[/attachment:3ccsy0fz]
[attachment=2:3ccsy0fz]MAME Cabinet 005.JPG[/attachment:3ccsy0fz]
[attachment=1:3ccsy0fz]MAME Cabinet 006.JPG[/attachment:3ccsy0fz]
[attachment=0:3ccsy0fz]MAME Cabinet 007.JPG[/attachment:3ccsy0fz]
Ciao!

Heather

Attachments

• MAME Cabinet 001.JPG
    MAME Cabinet 001.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 1
  • MAME Cabinet 002.JPG
    MAME Cabinet 002.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 3
  • MAME Cabinet 003.JPG
    MAME Cabinet 003.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 0
  • MAME Cabinet 004.JPG
    MAME Cabinet 004.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 1
  • MAME Cabinet 005.JPG
    MAME Cabinet 005.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 2
  • MAME Cabinet 006.JPG
    MAME Cabinet 006.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 1
  • MAME Cabinet 007.JPG
    MAME Cabinet 007.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 1
Re: My MAME Arcade Machine

Unfortunately Youtube appears to be "down for maintenance" at the moment.
But that's a sweet cabinet, and a powerful emulation machine. Nice work there. :thumbsup2:

my, cor what a whopper you have there, that suckers huge, how on earth did you fit it all in?

I ENVY YOU SDG!!!!

:jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: awesome, JUST AWESOME!

edit: how come you used a VGA box? and not one of those flashed VGA's that can output a 15khz signal?

A truely Impressive MAME Cab.

what makes it for me..... most of all.... is the USE of a CRT!!!!!!!!!

Arcade cabs look silly with a TFT!!!

lol PB&J, I thought that was an American Sandwich Favourite LOL

Truly spectacular!

I notice that although you have a Marquee you dont have any side art, is this the compromise (as its in the living room and cannot be to *loud*) or do you prefer sleeker / less showy arcade cab?

either way tis truely spectactular!

This summer I hope to build my own I have a 28" CRT monitor capable of 800x600 for its purpose all ready and waiting, its all about the design and room to build it.... then room to store it LOL!

So now that you have a MAME cab, whats your next project?

just saw the video... what frontend are you using SDG ? looks very nice!

@playgeneration

Yeah, the kitty cat never gets to get inside the cabinet so he really likes it when I open the cabinet.

@JuvUK

Size matters. :wink:

@keropi

Thanks for all the comments! I used the VGA Box because my monitor only accepts VGA input and the VGA box has a Pass-Through for the computer and then converts analog inputs to the VGA and has a built-in switcher. It works quite well and looks pretty good.

The front-end I use is Maximus Arcade. It's a $25 one time registration with free upgrades. It's a great deal!

@Zetr0

LOL! Yeah, PB&J is a sandwich but that's the name of their company as well. :) I was going to convert an old cabinet for this project but I wanted it to be perfect. I was fortunate this place builds arcade cabinets and is only a few miles from my office.

CRT is definitely the only way to go if you want to do a project like this. It's big and heavy but it is the only way to get a real arcade feeling. The only reason I don't have side art yet is because I really can't decide what I want and I don't know if I want to spend the money on it. Plus, it is in the corner of my living room so I don't want it too flashy.

@All

I don't know what the background noise is in my video. It's not the machine.

Heather

ah, maxiums arcade... I know of that (y) just never used it... does it take a lot of time to configure it?

I was "bloop-bloop-ing" along too. :D

Charlie :inlove:

Configuration is actually quite simple. The only difficult part is that you have to configure each individual emulator for the controls. You simply point Maximus Arcade to the emulator and the ROMs and it does the rest. :)

Heather

SkydivinGirl said:
@JuvUK

Size matters. :wink:

Heather

I could say, "smb" but then, I'd be accused of being sexist & totally Off Topic! :mrgreen:

Kin

Absolutely wonderful! :woot:

My congratulations - you're very lucky to be the owner of such a beauty.

Rave

ravestar said:
Absolutely wonderful! :woot:

My congratulations - you're very lucky to be the owner of such a beauty.

Rave

this whole thread is starting to look like the winner of the amiquote contest :woot: :woot:

Thanks everyone! I'm glad everyone likes the arcade machine. I used to collect arcade machines (had about 12 of them at one point) but they ended up taking up way to much space so I sold them all. I figured this is a great solution.

About the only thing I have left to do is mount the marquee light and perhaps add some side art. The monitor makes this thing extremely heavy and difficult to move, so I don't think I'll be taking it to any retro events, like I saw in some of the photos at Retro Reunited. :)

Oh, the pinball emulation also works great! The table that I play most is Bally's 1979 Star Trek. There's quite a bit of strategy involved in such a simple table.

Take care!

Heather

Back
Top Bottom