Temperamental A4000D

Marcb

AmiBayer
Country
Australia
Region
Sydney
Hi all,

I have an a4000d with an indivision, deneb, buddah '040 16mb fastand 2mb chip that is doing odd things...

Anthony Hoffman repaired the clock circuit, corroded tracks and replaced the caps and all was fine whenI reassembled..

I took a break fromAmigas for 2 months while I took care of my dad who broke his ankle into bits and now when I finally got back to it, all sorts of weird things are happening:

First it booted fine but froze whilst Reading a disk and rebooted to a combo of red and yellow screens...
I reseated roms, cpu and memory then rebooted and it woukdn't find the cf running off the buddah, giving me the insert disk screen..

I fussed around pushing everything back in and now boots 70% of the time but sometimes goes into a reboot loop for no apparent reason...

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Marc

Re: Temperamental A4000D

***UPDATE**

I pulled the 3640 out and put the original '030 in ... Works perfectly again! :thumbsup2:

A lot slower but I'm just happy the miggy is still alive

Hiya Charlie,

I'm kicking myself about those caps, when I was sending Anthony the mb for repair, he said to send the A3640 as well and he would replace the caps but I didn't :Doh:

Looking at the caps I can't see any obvious leaking, but methinks that is probably what has happened...

Worst thing about putting the 030 back in is that I have to disable the data cache as when it's enabled and with the Deneb installed, the miggy freezes up...

Don't also forget, the 040 Libraries are specific to the 040 card. So you need to replace them with ones suitable for an 030. This might allow you to re-enable the data cache. (y)

Kin

there is no external 68030.library for the A4000D AFAIK , there is internal support from the kickstart :shrug:

When you install the 040 Libraries, doesn't it create some other libraries called old? - Much like installing the 060 Libraries? It's been a while since I used anything less than an 060 tbh. Sorry if I have miss-led anyone.

Libraries are very specific to 040 & 060 though. (y)

Kin

no, it just back ups the existing (if they are there that is) 040 / 060 libs...

Well, just to be difficult :ROTFLOL2: I've installed a 68030.library + mmu library in libs and now it runs with data cache enabled...

Sysinfo reckons its running at 90% of a 3000 '030 25mhz but it'll do!

Yes keropi, but the point I'm trying to make is:
When going back to an 040 from an 060, you would require the correct 040 libraries re-installing. I was of the opinion such events were the same if going back from an 040 to an 030. :wink:

& as Marc now posts, it would appear I wasn't far wrong. Nice one kiddo. (y)
All you gotta do now bud, is get the Caps replaced on your A3640 & you should be back in business. :D

Charlie

Also don't forget the original 030 is an EC version so is slightly crippled, so not the best CPU to be running in an A4000. Much better to get your 040 board fixed.

@ Harrison

That's also why SysInfo only shows it to be 90% the speed of an A3K. ;)

@ keropi

Listen & learn m8y. :wink:

Kin

My wife is going to kill me but I just bought a Warp Engine 040 with 128mb ram and scsi for an insane amount :shhh:

I know i could have got the 3640 repaired (and i still will) but I couldn't pass up the ram and scsi...

We'll see howthe 4000 likes it!

From self experience you'll never regret the W.E. (y)

Only when wife discover the hole in the credit card you have to be worried...

May I have to make a pictogram?

Here:
wife> :pissed: :run: <you

Or...
wife> :stick: <you

You'll love the W.E. Marc. To get the very best from it, make sure you have a full set of matched 60ns SIMM's on it & be sure to set the card's jumpers accordingly. ;)

Charlie

Back
Top Bottom