PDA

View Full Version : Freesat Problems

scrappysphinx
18th July 2012, 13:54
Hi All, i was just wondering if anyone might be able to help.

My mum was given a freesat box and dish installation from the government via some help scheme. Yesterday morning at 10am while she was watching it she lost all signal and it shows 0% signal strength. As of this morning the signal had not returned so i've taken the box to my house and connected it to the sky dish i have on the wall and have 95% signal strength so i proceeded to tune it and decided it must be her dish that's at fault.

I picked up around 120 channels through the sky dish and all looked good but i just tried to switch it over to a different channel (i.e. bbc1 to bbc2) and the box lost power and started ticking.

Removing the signal cable stops the ticking and the box boots up again but shows no signal. As soon as i add the signal from the dish it instantly loses power and starts ticking again.

I spent 40 minutes on the phone with the help scheme to see if they provided any sort of warranty on the install or equipment and they do however since she had it installed in January 2011 it expired January this year. Since the installation she has had two new LNB on the dish and two replacement freesat boxes so i think i'm within my rights to expect them to find the problem and resolve it but they are refusing to do anything and saying she must pay 99 for a new dish and 32.99 for a new box.

I guess what i am wanting to know is can i replace the LNB myself as i have seen some on ebay or even the one from my sky dish as i don't use it (Virgin Media here) or does it require special equipment? and why does the box loose power and tick at me when i apply the signal cable?

Thanks for any info

Mike

*EDIT*

Got signal back and stopped the ticking.
The screw end off the dish looked very dark and has no insulation so i took the connector off, cut the cable down a little and reapplied the connector and it seems to have resolved the problem with the ticking and signal loss.

Now i just need to know how to fix my mum's dish? Can i just replace the LNB myself or do i need to get someone out to do it?

Thanks again

Justin
18th July 2012, 14:22
you can buy a new LNB on t'other bay, doddle to fit for a man of your many talents:):thumbsup:

Hi All, i was just wondering if anyone might be able to help.

My mum was given a freesat box and dish installation from the government via some help scheme. Yesterday morning at 10am while she was watching it she lost all signal and it shows 0% signal strength. As of this morning the signal had not returned so i've taken the box to my house and connected it to the sky dish i have on the wall and have 95% signal strength so i proceeded to tune it and decided it must be her dish that's at fault.

I picked up around 120 channels through the sky dish and all looked good but i just tried to switch it over to a different channel (i.e. bbc1 to bbc2) and the box lost power and started ticking.

Removing the signal cable stops the ticking and the box boots up again but shows no signal. As soon as i add the signal from the dish it instantly loses power and starts ticking again.

I spent 40 minutes on the phone with the help scheme to see if they provided any sort of warranty on the install or equipment and they do however since she had it installed in January 2011 it expired January this year. Since the installation she has had two new LNB on the dish and two replacement freesat boxes so i think i'm within my rights to expect them to find the problem and resolve it but they are refusing to do anything and saying she must pay 99 for a new dish and 32.99 for a new box.

I guess what i am wanting to know is can i replace the LNB myself as i have seen some on ebay or even the one from my sky dish as i don't use it (Virgin Media here) or does it require special equipment? and why does the box loose power and tick at me when i apply the signal cable?

Thanks for any info

Mike

*EDIT*

Got signal back and stopped the ticking.
The screw end off the dish looked very dark and has no insulation so i took the connector off, cut the cable down a little and reapplied the connector and it seems to have resolved the problem with the ticking and signal loss.

Now i just need to know how to fix my mum's dish? Can i just replace the LNB myself or do i need to get someone out to do it?

Thanks again

scrappysphinx
18th July 2012, 14:25
Thanks Justin, i saw the LNB's on ebay just wasn't sure i needed any specific equipment i.e to line up anything up perfectly or the like.

I think i'll take the one off my dish and see if i can fit that one to hers as i have no use for it.

thecellartroll
18th July 2012, 14:31
And the moral of the story:

If you have a warehouse full of badly made and/or faulty satellite equipment, you can get shot of it by flogging it all off to some guv'ment scheme or other! :picard

TheCorfiot
18th July 2012, 16:50
Well found mike

I was going to suggest you had a minor short circuit on your signal cable, different boxes have different over-current sensitivities...

Always ensure your cables have no odd strands touching the centre conductor...

Regarding the LNB, bog standard SKY type will do mate, you do not even have to move the dish to switch between Sky & freesat...

TC ;)

Witcher1979
18th July 2012, 18:31
Well found mike

I was going to suggest you had a minor short circuit on your signal cable, different boxes have different over-current sensitivities...

Always ensure your cables have no odd strands touching the centre conductor...

Regarding the LNB, bog standard SKY type will do mate, you do not even have to move the dish to switch between Sky & freesat...

TC ;)

This ^^^

I even got a 4 way LNB so I can record 2 downstairs and 2 upstairs :) Just a straight swap from the normal 2 way sky one.

Ed.D
18th July 2012, 20:08
LNB's are really easy to swap over. Usually just a couple of fixing screws and the cable to unscrew. Refitting is a reversal of removal ( I nicked that from a haines manual) :lol:

One thing to watch, if you're not aware of it is LNB "skew". Some LNB's are rotated a few degrees off the horizontal to match the incoming Horizontal and Vertical channels. I think it depends on where you live as to which angle you may have to set. There are usually markers on the LNB body showing these angles (if needed).

TheCorfiot
18th July 2012, 22:59
LNB's are really easy to swap over. Usually just a couple of fixing screws and the cable to unscrew. Refitting is a reversal of removal ( I nicked that from a haines manual) :lol:

One thing to watch, if you're not aware of it is LNB "skew". Some LNB's are rotated a few degrees off the horizontal to match the incoming Horizontal and Vertical channels. I think it depends on where you live as to which angle you may have to set. There are usually markers on the LNB body showing these angles (if needed).

This is spot on :thumbsup:
And can be quite a skew the further north you are in the UK :lol:

Simply replicate the skew amount that the current LNB fitted has ;)

BrooksterMax
19th July 2012, 09:07
I self-installed my satelite TV years ago which was fun moving the dish left/right up and down! My father in law and I spent ages :)

One tip is to put vaseline on the coax sheath before putting on the metal connectors to the cable - just to repel moisture and damp - other similar products available!

I was also recommended to create a "droop" in the cable when connecting to the LNB - this avoids water running all the way down a cable - and only collecting in the droop.

Ed.D
19th July 2012, 23:42
It's strange but for the past couple of weeks i've been having difficulty receiving channels in the Horizontal band on the Hot Bird satellite, but tonight they all seem to be working. I wonder whether this could be related to the current Solar Maximum the earth is going through.

scrappysphinx
20th July 2012, 00:01
Thanks for all the advice and tips guys.

We purchased a quad LNB from the other bay today and i will be fitting it and hopefully setting the system back to working condition when it arrives.

Went with a quad as she currently has a single connection and so she might as well have the extra so she can get TV in different rooms too and the boxes are pretty cheap.

The only thing i have to find now is some strong string or fishing wire to tie the quad lnb to the dish as apparently the extra weight can pull the arm down and lose contact with the satellite (dont know if thats true or not but i suppose a bit of string/wire wont do any harm).

Harrison
20th July 2012, 01:17
Just a thought. You did check the alignment of the dish when it lost the signal? Just getting knocked a few degrees is enough.

Oh and the reason you can connect a freesat box to a sky dish is that they are both transmitted from the same satellites.

scrappysphinx
20th July 2012, 01:28
Hi Harrison, i personally don't know if the dish is aligned properly but i assume it hasn't moved as it just lost the signal suddenly while she was watching, and it wasn't really bad weather either, just a little rain.

However since she had it installed (January 2011) she has had two new LNB's on the dish so assume its the same problem since the box has tested out fine.

I should know in the next few days though as the LNB has been ordered and if thats not the problem (although cant see what else it could be) it didn't cost a lot anyway.

bdb
20th July 2012, 03:39
Just out of morbid curiosity, is the dish grounded or otherwise protected from lightening?

Ed.D
20th July 2012, 18:06
I don't think you'd need to worry about the weight of the quad and the string Mike. If the main arm that is holding the LNB is a metal tube, it should be ok.

TheCorfiot
20th July 2012, 19:02
I don't think you'd need to worry about the weight of the quad and the string Mike. If the main arm that is holding the LNB is a metal tube, it should be ok.

Absolutely, the extra weight is negligible to the dish assembly ;)

scrappysphinx
20th July 2012, 20:29
Ok guys, will update once the LNB arrives. Its just some googling i did said i would need to use some string or fishing wire and tie the arm to though one of the holes in the dish to support the extra weight.

Witcher1979
21st July 2012, 18:07
Ok guys, will update once the LNB arrives. Its just some googling i did said i would need to use some string or fishing wire and tie the arm to though one of the holes in the dish to support the extra weight.

Nah, mine is sitting without any extra help. Seems fine, to me it looks like it would need a lot of extra weight to cause a problem.

Harrison
22nd July 2012, 11:51
I've also never heard of it being an issue. Never had an arm on any of my dishes over the years do anything wrong. The only real issues that normally go wrong with a dish are the dish moving out of alignment, the LNB failing - normally due to water ingress and corrosion, the cable connector coming loose where it joins the LNB, or water getting into the cable connection due to a lack of insulation.