PDA

View Full Version : Network adapter problem in PC

protek
18th July 2012, 15:12
I have a weird problem in my PC. Every fifth to tenth time I boot it, the onboard ethernet adapter won't work and I can't get to network. Windows says: "Code 12: This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use", so apparently an irq problem or something similar. Only way to recitfy is to reboot the PC, which helps and then the system works normally. This has occurred on both XP and Win7 and device driver or chipset driver updates have not helped.

Why does this occur only every now and then and always on the ethernet adapter and why does a reboot help? Is there something that I could do to permanently rectify it or at least fix it without a reboot? The troubleshoot gadget doesn't fix this as the OS expects me to free resources.

My motherboard is ECS P45T-A Black Edition. Currently running Windows 7 64 bit.

Ed.D
18th July 2012, 19:51
Hi Protek,

Could you try resetting the CMOS? It would seem to be lower level if it affects different OS's.

bagpuss22
18th July 2012, 20:18
You could disable the COM port in the BIOS and see if that helps.

What config is the setup? Memory? Number of Hard drives, Graphics etc?

BP22

protek
18th July 2012, 21:13
You could disable the COM port in the BIOS and see if that helps.

What config is the setup? Memory? Number of Hard drives, Graphics etc?

BP22

4 GB of memory, two SATA hard drives, one NVidia 9800 GT graphics card, one USB PCI card and one Parallel PCI-E card. Parallel card installed after these problems appeared.

cosmicfrog
19th July 2012, 00:07
a reltativley modern mobo should have plenty of irqs to play with, I`d start with checking ya ram

note the settings it uses when it works - in device manger - these might lead u to whats conflicting
check ya bios that plug n play is on
if irqs are assigned in bios instead of plug n play do u need em

I would suspect the new Parallel card so see if it uses any settings similar to ya nic

as a note though I always disable my parallel and serial ports, speeds machine up slightly

protek
20th July 2012, 07:12
@cosmicfrog: I don't think it's the parallel card as these problems occurred already before I installed that.

Probably should go through the BIOS settings and reset that. Still curious, why the problem occurs only sometimes.