PDA

View Full Version : CD32 smooth scrolling?

Powerpie5000
20th July 2012, 14:17
Is the CD32 supposed to have perfectly smooth scrolling? I notice the scrolling 'jitters' very slightly with most games i play (most noticeable with platform/side scrollers). I'm pretty sure most games had smooth scrolling when played on the A500, A600 & A1200.

Has anyone else noticed this? Or maybe it's just my TV? I've had to enable 'Trumotion' to make scrolling completely smooth now.

Sensi
20th July 2012, 14:27
I remember Akira asking the same on eab: [/URL][url]http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=63155 (http://eab.abime.ne/showthread.php?t=63155)

If you got the same problem with other Amigas its definitely the TV.

CrashMidnick
20th July 2012, 14:27
Scrolling is perfect on mine (FR version but connected by the RGB plug of my SX1)

J.T.Kirk
20th July 2012, 14:29
A CD32 is exactly an A1200 including also the Akiko custom-chip for the c2p routines. So you must have the same smooth scrolling as you have in your A1200 for example, thus it's TV related issue.

Mine is connected via S-Video on a 32" LG LCD TV, and the scrolling is smooth as it should be.

Powerpie5000
20th July 2012, 14:35
I remember Akira asking the same on eab: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=63155

If you got the same problem with other Amigas its definitely the TV.

All my previous Amigas (A500/+, A600 & A1200) had perfectly smooth scrolling using the same TV (my 3 year old LG LH5000)... Maybe i should try it on an old CRT and see if there's any difference.

Scrolling is perfect on mine (FR version but connected by the RGB plug of my SX1)

Mine is using an s-video cable with a scart adapter... I get the same slightly 'jittery' results if i use composite too.

---------- Post added at 14:35 ---------- Previous post was at 14:32 ----------

Mine is connected via S-Video on a 32" LG LCD TV, and the scrolling is smooth as it should be.

I have a 37" LG TV and have to set the 'Trumotion' option to low (100hz) to obtain smooth and fluid scrolling. If i set Trumotion to 'high' (200hz) then it starts to glitch a bit :roll:

Maybe it's because i have s-video running through a scart adapter? My LG TV doesn't have an s-video port :(. Can the scrolling be affected if i run NTSC games on a PAL machine?

J.T.Kirk
20th July 2012, 14:39
I have a 37" LG TV and have to set the 'Trumotion' option to low (100hz) to obtain smooth and fluid scrolling. If i set Trumotion to 'high' (200hz) then it starts to glitch a bit :roll:

Maybe it's because i have s-video running through a scart adapter? My LG TV doesn't have an s-video port :(. Can the scrolling be affected if i run NTSC games on a PAL machine?

My LG hasn't also an S-Video input, so I'm using an S-Video to SCART adapter for that.

CrashMidnick
20th July 2012, 14:51
Well, try on a CRT screen. If bad scrolling, check the capacitors or maybe the cable (including the s-video plug soldered on the mobo).

Damion
20th July 2012, 19:19
Not all games had smooth scrolling either - one of the shameful things about Ruff n' Tumble, even on a 1084. :-o

Add to that TV "upscaling", LCD smearing, etc.

Best thing I've found to test scrolling is any pinball game.

Powerpie5000
20th July 2012, 19:28
Not all games had smooth scrolling either - one of the shameful things about Ruff n' Tumble, even on a 1084. :-o

Add to that TV "upscaling", LCD smearing, etc.

Best thing I've found to test scrolling is any pinball game.

I tried a copy of Pinball Fantasies (for test purposes ;)) but the scrolling is still not 100% like the other Amiga versions... I don't even know if it's an NTSC or PAL copy either :roll:.

I suppose i'll have to dig up and old CRT TV to test it with. I have a couple stored away, but i don't think they have s-video ports. Oh well, i guess i'll use the scart adapter :roll:

---------- Post added at 19:28 ---------- Previous post was at 19:25 ----------

Are you using a CRT screen?

BLTCON0
20th July 2012, 20:06
Scrolling is generally always horrible with LCD screens. I don't know if the more expensive models can display perfect scrolling, but anything I've seen so far is ridiculous (this includes both LCD monitors and LCD TVs).
The quality of the scrolling should have absolutely no difference using either Composite/svideo/ SCART. And don't use any "200 hz video enhancement" settings, they introduce questionable artificially created inter-frames. A TV ought to display a great motion picture with none of that and LCDs are simply no match in that area for CRTs.

Powerpie5000
17th August 2012, 19:44
Received a cheapo 15" LCD screen today with a dedicated S-video input and all is good :)... No scrolling issues at all, so it must have been my LG TV at fault (probably doesn't like S-video through scart :roll:).