Dreamcast vga box mod

slk486

Asking the questions because I DON'T KNOW
VIP
Country
Denmark
Region
Sealand
Hey guys, hoping for a little assistance :)

I've modded my dreamcast vga box with a switch so it can output 15hz as well as 31hz vga, and this is working nicely, however i would like the 15hz signal displayed on my crt tv, and I'm unsure where to get the composit sync for a scart rgb signal. Anyone knowledgable of this stuff?

Original mod here: http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1870
According to http://www.videogameperfection.com/...imate-rgb-box-mod-no-more-rgb-cable-swapping/ it's a simple adapter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hmm.. Looks like I have to separate it from the composite video signal.

If anyone knows better, I'd very much like to know, before investing in a LM1881 or sync separator board :)

Is it worthwhile doing though? Is it just so you don't need to switch between cables/displays depending on the game?

Is it worthwhile doing though? Is it just so you don't need to switch between cables/displays depending on the game?

Yes, frankly it's to avoid switching cables, for the hazzle, but also to save the DC port from strain.

Secondly, it also gives a better video source, since the csync would be clean instead of tainted by component video. Everything counts when you're feeding a scaler ya know ;)

Worthwhile? Certainly. Love tinkering, setting up, organizing and what not. Quite a jigsaw with all those consoles, switches, LCD, crt, tate crt, and a receiver. All set up so everything is playable with a few button presses (y)

That is definitely something I'm always looking to achieve too.

In the old days on my 32" Toshiba CRT TV everything was setup nicely with scart switcher box connected to some nice expensive IXOS scart cables, and all systems running through RGB.

But then we all updated to LCD/Plasma and the fun began trying to get back to what we had before on older technology. Which is amusing really. We can still feed everything in via SCART, but on HDTVs it just doesn't look that great, although newer TVs are now doing a much better job of scaling SD inputs than they used to.

I'm still tempted by either an XRGB3 or Mini.. but the rumours of a XRGB4 has held me off from buying one. But even then it won't be a perfect all in one solution. I must say that since I've been interested in getting the best image quality from older consoles I have been experimenting and some are now connected via Component and with a side by side I personally think the image looks better than scart RGB. Although technically the RGB should be the best signal. PS2 and Xbox especially. And of course it is the only way to get them into 1080 resolution too.

Back on subject... I do have a Haus VGA box for my DC but haven't hooked it up in a long time. The last time I played around with it was probably back in the days of the DC era, connected to a 21" CRT monitor. Looked nice in VGA supported games, but obviously was a hassle when a game didn't support the mode... so in the end I was just running everything via 60Hz PAL RGB SCART. But I would definitely be interested in the results you get from this mod as it sounds like it could be a good solution for the DC these days. :)

Has anyone been able to install vga box inside the dc such that there would be directly vga out on the back of the dc?

Back
Top Bottom