PDA

View Full Version : Amiga 550

J.T.Kirk
21st July 2012, 14:04
Some people aren't aware of this, but Amiga-Digital is working on a brand-new project called Amiga 550 since October 2011. :)

Highlights of his new project:
IDE connector
2 clockports
connector for the MAS-MP3 Player
a turbo slot for 68020, 68030 or 68040 turbo cards

You can check his site -> HERE <- (http://www.amiga-digital.nl/index2.html) for more information and progress log.

Don't forget that you can donate if you're interested in this project to help.

It seems a very ambitious project, so I want to wish him good luck. :thumbsup:

johnim
21st July 2012, 14:59
nice find

this looks pretty good :thumbsup:

Tajmaster
21st July 2012, 15:07
So this is a replacement motherboard that fits in A500/+ cases?

It looks good, Id like to see bigger versions of the pictures though :drool:

slk486
21st July 2012, 15:11
Amigans are really some of the most steadfast and ambitious retro people around :thumbsup2:

---------- Post added at 14:11 ---------- Previous post was at 14:10 ----------

So this is a replacement motherboard that fits in A500/+ cases?

That's what it reads like at least.

J.T.Kirk
21st July 2012, 15:12
Yes, the new 550 board will fit exactly in the A500 case.

Tajmaster
21st July 2012, 15:19
Nice :) I like the motherboard replacement projects that go in the original case, like they did with that A1000 motherboard a while back

J.T.Kirk
31st December 2012, 10:16
We have some updates since last October, but things aren't good. Amiga-Digital was ready to cancel the project due to the lack of some hardware. But he politely asks for spare A500, A600, A1200 or A2000 motherboards to get it from there and continue to work on Amiga 550.

Some people already sent some spares to him, so if anyone have a spare/faulty Amiga motherboard can contact him to tell you what parts he wants.

It's pity to see this nice project sink.

Hivernaal
31st December 2012, 10:24
what a nice project !!!!

mjnurney
31st December 2012, 11:39
Ohhh gotta get one of those :-)

Nice find

Junior
31st December 2012, 14:44
This project is canceld at this time , the man behind this project Michel making to many costs and all the proto mobo's are not working.
Maybe if enough people donate money he can make this board to a good end ....

ptyerman
31st December 2012, 14:59
It doesn't sound too hopeful going by his comments on the page. If he can't find the parts even for a prototype how's he going to produce the finished item? He obviously hasn't looked very hard either as 23 pin D connectors are readily available new if you do Google-fu, sure, the biggest suppliers are in the USA but it still makes it economical if ordering more than a few at a time. ;)

J.T.Kirk
31st December 2012, 15:17
This project is canceld at this time , the man behind this project Michel making to many costs and all the proto mobo's are not working.

Sad to hear this, but I don't understand. The real problem is the lack of hardware components or money? Because in his site he asks for spare motherboards actually for the connectors.

Junior
31st December 2012, 16:01

Sad to hear this, but I don't understand. The real problem is the lack of hardware components or money? Because in his site he asks for spare motherboards actually for the connectors.

Michel is a dutchman and on the dutch forum Amigascene.nl He has announced that the proto types mobo's are not working so he have to maken new proto types and let them make again.
There are problems with the schematics , if i understand correctly is the problem that the schematics are not correct .

slk486
1st January 2013, 16:32
Kickstarter! :D

AndyLandy
1st January 2013, 16:37
I've seen some of Amiga-Digital's handiwork, as I have one of his rather awesome SIMMfolie adapters in my A3000, allowing me to use 16MB of SIMMs as well as an A3640 CPU card. Very nice bit of kit.

Kickstarter! :D

Now that's a good idea. I wonder if he already has one?

Buzzfuzz
4th January 2013, 00:15
It's problems are at the very core of schematics, the problem is that none of them are the right ones, there are so many revisions made that it is impossible to tell what is right and wrong.

Michel told me that the only way to do this right is by help of a few people, mainly Georg Braun who also did the rare GBA 1000.

The GBA 1000 is in basic lines about the same idea as the A550.

1NOM155
23rd February 2015, 18:57
I'm trying to unearth this post.
Anyone know any development on this project? It seems the official web page (Amiga 550 (http://www.amiga-digital.nl/index2.html)) doesn't work any more :(

Nobby_UK
23rd February 2015, 19:28
It just comes up with a Wiki Page for "Hoax"

J.T.Kirk
23rd February 2015, 21:31
Hmm, that's intersting. But I was able to see the normal pages of his progress 1-2 months ago.