PDA

View Full Version : Closed lga 775 motherboard

Sardine
26th July 2012, 22:32
my lads pc crapped out. it blue screened on WIn7 x64 and after he rebooted wont boot.

Abit IN9 32-MAX Wifi 680i Sli and it posts upto "mediashield detecting array"

unpluged harddisks
unplugged all cards
reset bios
replaced battery

cannot enter the bios as thats just after "mediashield detecting array"

im guessing fault on mother board or corrupted bios. ive connected a floppy drive but again thats after "mediashield detecting array" and nothing works.

i get the normal post screen listing drives etc and "cmos checksum error press F1 to continue or DEL for bios setup"

no matter what i press its gets stuck.

pressing "del" before cmos gets a post code 75
pressing "del" after all txt has finished gets 7F
pressing "F1" gets post code 86

so i need any motherboard to run.
2*2gb ddr2 800
core 2 quad Q6600 cpu
pci express 16 to run 4870x2 vga
some sata plugs
just to get him running again.

I'm broke so it has to be super cheap or hes goto wait a few months for a cheapo Matx 30 job that sux.

ShambleS1980
26th July 2012, 22:47
try holding down the insert key on boot..
"i think that will reset the cmos"

if you have no hope of reviving it i have a p4 board with cpu you can have for postage..
Unfortunatly it is in storage :(
and i have no idea when i will be able to dig it out.:picard

Ok..
i checked the abit manual.
and it seems from the errors like its a power issue..
do you have a spare psu?
i know that it says PWM. but i have had boards report pwm when it was the psu.
"i have also had pwm fail" but if you can test the psu or the board with a diferent psu. you may not be in that bad shape.

Sardine
26th July 2012, 23:28
no spare psu, ( my sons Coolermaster Silent Pro 700W Modular PSU) 2yrs old
Hes in bed now, ill try the insert key thing tomorrow, i was hoping there was a force bios update from floppy thing (key press) but i cant find it if there is one.

i doubt its that, its more likely the bios is corrupted due to a crash than failure, but then again its been hot these last few days and the mobo could have just give out.

the P4 offer is great, will it run a Q6600 ? and 2 sticks of 2gb ddr2 ?

hes autistic and gets into different thing, last few months it was minecraft and this months flavour is Gmod on Halflife 2, hes very creative when he has a goal set for himself.

ive got an AMD system here semprom 2800 and AGP x1950,512mb that might run Gmod but i doubt it.

ShambleS1980
27th July 2012, 08:11
sorry. Nothing i have here will do a q6600.

i would definatly investigate the psu.. the error codes all point towards the cpu not recieving enough power.
this really is mostlikley due to a psu issue rather than a pwm failure, but that cant be ruled out either.
but my rule of thumb is start with the easiest thing to test 1st.

Oge
27th July 2012, 09:44
ill try the insert key thing tomorrow, i was hoping there was a force bios update from floppy thing (key press) but i cant find it if there is one.
The amount of motherboards which support a blind update from a custom floppy disk is very limited; I did it once and is a PITA.

I suspect a faulty capacitor or the PSU as already mentioned. Are you able to take a look at the motherboard or accurately clean it, inspecting capacitors?

Cheers,
Oge

AmiNeo
27th July 2012, 09:59
no spare psu, ( my sons Coolermaster Silent Pro 700W Modular PSU) 2yrs old
Hes in bed now, ill try the insert key thing tomorrow, i was hoping there was a force bios update from floppy thing (key press) but i cant find it if there is one.

i doubt its that, its more likely the bios is corrupted due to a crash than failure, but then again its been hot these last few days and the mobo could have just give out.

the P4 offer is great, will it run a Q6600 ? and 2 sticks of 2gb ddr2 ?

hes autistic and gets into different thing, last few months it was minecraft and this months flavour is Gmod on Halflife 2, hes very creative when he has a goal set for himself.

ive got an AMD system here semprom 2800 and AGP x1950,512mb that might run Gmod but i doubt it.

If you strip it down you should be able to use the PSU from the AMD system to test your sons PC. Just disconnect any unneeded items in it that will suck power if you're concerned, such as second GPU if theres 2 etc... You should be able to get it to boot if it is a PSU issue.

If it still wont boot check the BIOS to see if ithas an option to update the BIOS from inside it, a BIOS update may fix the issue.

Oge
27th July 2012, 14:11
Is RAID enabled? Have you tried a different RAM? It could be that the voltage coming to the memory is too high (or too low) and is causing strange issues.

A similar issue happened and leaded to file corruption under Windows or random errors during POST: the culprit was uncorrect voltage being feeded to the RAMs.

Cheers,
Oge

Sardine
7th November 2012, 14:11
Found elsewhere