PDA

View Full Version : Adf mounting

mike_cc
27th July 2012, 12:13
Has anyone got experience with storing disk images on their Amiga HDD (not on PC under winUAE) and mounting them with either FMS, VirtualFloppy or ADF_Device?

I've pretty much decided to put the HxC into an A500 and although I intend to get a working floppy drive on the A1200, I am looking to have a lot of spare hard disk space.

Ideally, I would have all the disk images I wanted in a partition, ready to be mounted using one of the above programs.

Anyone done this? It sounds complicated to me as what I've seen on Aminet needs shell commands.

bdb
27th July 2012, 14:28
Yes, lots of people have experience storing, mounting and running disk images. By the way, you left out the use of the DiskImage device. You can use BlitzADF, which bypasses the shell, but you have to write the image to either a real floppy, or to a RAD: drive. If you use the Amiga a lot, you need to become comfortable with the Shell and CLI commands.

The problem is running the disk based software from the image. Games want complete control of the OS; this means a reboot that loses the image (most games won't be able to run from RAD). WHDLoad bypasses this for games, but for then you need two techniques: one for Games, and another for programs. If the program is that compliant (i.e., it does not need complete control), it should just run from the hard drive, so no image is needed in the first place.

Ergo, just use WHDLoad for games, and install the other programs to hard drive.

If there is some other need, you will have to be more specific: Machine you want to use, Operating System, storage method, type of application, and so on.

rkauer
27th July 2012, 19:12
If for applications and general Workbench use, the Transgui instead BlitzADF is my weapon of choice.

In conjunction with FMS disks or Virtual Floppy this make most (if not all) applications available in a virtual floppy directly accessible on Workbench.

bdb
27th July 2012, 22:30
Absolutely true,

But for the user trying to avoid the shell implies to me, that a "simple is better" approach. For me I prefer hard drive installations to disk based (virtual or not) and now that I am more familiar with WHDLoad, I leave those games up to it. But then I only deal with real Amiga hardware and not emulations, and went directly from a C64 in 1983 to an Amiga in 1986 and didn't even play with a PC until about 1990.

That is the background I base my opinions upon; others will have different backgrounds and will give their valued input as well. I jumped in as it was an unanswered post and didn't want to let folks think that no one cares.

rkauer
27th July 2012, 22:43
I use my Amiga in regular basis, too. But I dislike floppy disks because the lack of reliability they have nowadays.:dry:

So, for installation purposes I prefer image of the disks (that I own, of course) to install a software.:nod:

Nothing is more annoying than installing a multiple disks software then in disk #14 the (infamous) little dialogue box pops up saying "disk Blabla have an error in sector 870" and the installation stops...:banghead:

bdb
28th July 2012, 01:37
To be honest, my floppy based programs were installed years ago to hard drive or like Pagestream 5 installed from the web, I just keep copying them from one hard drive to the next. I do keep DiskSalv4 (Dave Haynie) on hand just in case something does come up; I avoid SFS and non-Dos/03 formatting for this exact reason: Recovery!

mike_cc
30th July 2012, 09:14
I jumped in as it was an unanswered post and didn't want to let folks think that no one cares.

Many thanks bud, I can feel the love!

I avoid SFS and non-Dos/03 formatting for this exact reason: Recovery!

Could SFS interfere with image mounting, as described here? Or is that purely to do with being able to use original floppies?

Ideally, I would have all the disk images I wanted in a partition, ready to be mounted using one of the above programs.... It sounds complicated to me as what I've seen on Aminet needs shell commands.

If you use the Amiga a lot, you need to become comfortable with the Shell and CLI commands.

I'm certainly not adverse to learning how to use the shell properly, if it's important to using the Amiga. Besides, if a shell window only requires short commands to execute programs, it's always going to be quicker than trawling through draws/folders. It's the repetitive stuff, like disk changes and long installations, where GUI buttons are nice to have. But even longer commands don't take long when you're used to them.

If for applications and general Workbench use, the Transgui instead BlitzADF is my weapon of choice.

In conjunction with FMS disks or Virtual Floppy this make most (if not all) applications available in a virtual floppy directly accessible on Workbench.

A quick Aminet search on Trans GUI and TransADF has found these programs, but their description differs slightly. TransADF sounds more like a file reader/writer than an image mounting utility. Am I wrong there?

rkauer is right in that, I'm intending to do this as a once off thing. I've got a working external floppy (and working on modding a sony drive - not very successfully so far I'm afraid) that I can use to create ADF files from all the (hundreds) of aging 880k floppies sitting in the drawer next to my desk. I've got a program, which might even be TransADF, although I'm not sure, that can turn diskettes into adfs.
Even now, some disks have degraded to a point beyond recovery (although I will try I'm sure) so I'm keen to get working on this asap. The final solution should be, ideally, a GUI or Shell interface that allows me to mount adf images, making the Amiga A1200 think they are real disks in a physical drive, treating them accordingly. For the volume of disks I've got, I'mnot interested in dragging folders across to the HDD, unless there is no other choice.
As for the kinds of games that require a restart, you're quite correct bdb, I am perfectly happy with WHDLoad, although I wouldn't be above installing some of my favourite HD installable games anyway, in the interests of purism, and because I've noticed some problems saving teams/high scores etc with WHDLoad.

Soooo...I'm gonna see how far along I can get with this today and let you guys know. Thanks for the excellent advice both. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

rkauer
31st July 2012, 05:58
To use virtual floppy, search for "virtual floppy". :)

Both Transgui & BlitzADF are front-end interfaces for both ADF and DMS images back and forth to/from real floppies or virtual ones (RAD devices included).

Tomse
31st July 2012, 07:09
A little off topic, but might still help you.

have you considdered hacking a PC drive to work with your A1200 ?

mike_cc
1st August 2012, 11:57
A little off topic, but might still help you.

have you considdered hacking a PC drive to work with your A1200 ?

Hiya Tomse, and yes indeed. I bought one of the Sony drives, discussed elsewhere on this site and on eab. I made the changes shown by other users, but sadly couldn't get the drive to work as planned. I expect the problem was my big fat hands and my not-fine-enough soldering iron tip.

Chief suspect is the tiny zero ohm surface mount resistor which either got too hot or is dry joined back on the board. My next tool purchase (apart from an almost needle fine soldering tip) may need to be an arm mounted magnifying glass!

:picard

Tomse
1st August 2012, 11:59
ah ok, well you can remove the 0ohm resistor and just make a soldering blob instead.

mike_cc
7th August 2012, 23:19
It works! I tried it again but with a different floppy cable. Then I tried that cable the other way round and it worked. It reads and writes disks perfectly. I nipped off half the button and it fits the A1200 disk drive bay :lol:

So alls well that ends....

Well actually I still intend to put these programs on that bdb and rkauer are recommending! Almost there...