PDA

View Full Version : A600 Hard Drive Partition > 2Gb

wmsteele
27th July 2012, 23:10
Is it possible to have a partition greater that 2Gb on an Amiga 600?

Trying to get this working in winuae before transferring back to real A600. Creating a small 200Mb boot partition works fine, transferring ClassicWB (Greene Amiga Alien Edition) over also works fine and boots successfully on the A600. Problems start when I create a >2gb second DH1 partition. I can create the partition and format it as SFS but winuae will then refuse to boot.

Do you need workbench 3 or above for this to work? If so would ClassicWB 68K with workbench 3 be the way to go? The total drive size is 4Gb so the second partition would be around 3.8Gb.

rkauer
28th July 2012, 01:37
No, SFS only works with a 030 accelerator. The vanilla A600 have a plain 68000 CPU, so you can't use SFS.

But you can download Professional File System 3 (PFS3) from Aminet and install the 68000 version on your Amiga. Don't install it in WinUAE, as some reason PFS3 doesn't like WinUAE.

Balooga
28th July 2012, 04:05
I managed to get PFS working on UAE last night.

- Emulating an A500,
- uaehf.device
- PFS3 from BetterWB
- HDInstTools
- 2.5 20GB IDE drive
- USB to IDE adapter

The boot partition is FFS, and I kept the couple of PFS partitions around 2GB

rkauer
28th July 2012, 04:18
Remember you have to update the SCSI.device in ROM using a software patch, then you can create a partition in the size you want, from 19.8Gb (the remaining space after the boot partition) to many with any desired size.

Without patching the scsi.device (which consumes a bit of memory), you are tied to up to 4Gb of total space used in the initial area of the HD. You cannot pass 4Gb in total, summing all partitions.

Passing the 4Gb without patching scsi.device will render in the RDB (the Amiga equivalent of the pc MBR) overwritten by a program, sooner or later, with catastrophic results.

Balooga
28th July 2012, 16:39
I have not yet patched the scsi.device. I see ClassicWB has several patched versions of scsi.device, but in still need to read the docs to find out the version to use.

So far PFS is *way* faster than FFS. FFS is left in the dust.

One thing though, do I still need to patch scsi.device when using the 3.1 ROMs? I have 3.1 installed in my A500 using a kickstart switcher.

Toni.Wilen
28th July 2012, 18:07
PFS3 direct scsi (PFS3DS) version works with Amiga IDE controllers up to ~7.8G and are completely safe without need for updated scsi.device.

btw, there are absolutely no problems whatsoever installing PFS3 or SFS or any other FS in WinUAE.

EDIT: I mean it is rarely winuae problem but most likely something else, usually most people use totally different configuration when using winuae than real Amiga, sometimes without noticing it (for example automatic cdrom, directory filesystems etc..)

wmsteele
28th July 2012, 23:36
Phew, I've managed to setup a 425Mb FFS boot partition and a 3214Mb PFS3 games partition using ClassicWB GAAE, perfect for my A600 and some WHDLoad magic. Thanks all :thumbsup:

Methanoid
29th July 2012, 09:46
Phew, I've managed to setup a 425Mb FFS boot partition and a 3214Mb PFS3 games partition using ClassicWB GAAE, perfect for my A600 and some WHDLoad magic. Thanks all :thumbsup:

I suggest you record how (in this thread??) for future reference. Whenever I do something I think might be difficult in future or I might forget (quintuple booting different OS's) I record it somewhere and it also helps others... ;)

imaga_050
29th July 2012, 12:18
Just for correction: SFS runs on at least 020 CPU's. (Like the stock A1200)

wmsteele
29th July 2012, 16:44

I suggest you record how (in this thread??) for future reference. Whenever I do something I think might be difficult in future or I might forget (quintuple booting different OS's) I record it somewhere and it also helps others... ;)

No problem...
Downloaded PFS3 from Aminet (http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/PFS3src). Installed only the 68000 version into ClassicWB GAAE using WinUAE. GAAE already had some bits of PFS3 installed but I decided to reinstall to be on the safe side.

I have a 4Gb card so I setup the first 425Mb FFS as a boot partition.

The second partition was set to the reaming free space of 3214Mb and set as a PFS3 partition. I did this by using the following settings HDToolBox.

1. Created a new custom file system;

Filename = L:PFS3
DosType = 0x50445303

2. Changed partition;

Identifier = 0x50445303
Mask = 0xfffffffc
Max Transfer = 0x1fe00

3. Set buffers to 100 and changed device name to DH1

All other setting in HDToolBox were left as default.

After a reboot the disk appeared in Workbench as DH1:NDOS (or something like that).

I then tried to format DH1 using PFSFormat but this always resulted in a Memory Full error and the system would reboot. Not sure what do do at that point I let workbench format the partition using the built in formatting tool in GAAE (right click Workbench, Disk, Format), to my surprise a popup appeared briefly detailing the PFS3 partition and a copyright message, I set the volume name and clicked on Quick Format.... the drive appeared in workbench using the name I had set, I then started copying over KGWHD. A few hours later and just under 3Gb of games moved all is well!

Methanoid
29th July 2012, 17:14
Thanks, I think I'll bookmark that for myself for future use.. Got an A600 on the way ;)

Toni.Wilen
29th July 2012, 18:05
There is no need to use FFS on boot partition. PFS3 works fine and it also most likely boots faster than FFS.

imaga_050
29th July 2012, 18:17
^ +1 PFS3 is perfect for booting, but i have one "special" FFS partition for some games.

wmsteele
30th July 2012, 14:11
There is no need to use FFS on boot partition. PFS3 works fine and it also most likely boots faster than FFS.

Just didn't want to destroy what I already had on the partition. Would it make a noticeable difference to boot times?

rkauer
31st July 2012, 06:17
Check the PFS3 drawer, there you'll find an utility to transform a FFS partition to PFS3.

The reason you got the "memory full" error is because the size of the partition is way too big for the memory in the Amiga. Simply using "8Mb FAST RAM" in WinUAE might be enough to circumvent the problem.

But always remember to not do a full format in new partitions, these are not required and will add one more write cycle to CF.

CF cards, as all other flash media have a limited number of write cycles before the cells starts to wear out. And that is the very reason I'm stuck using real HD units.

The one in my A600 is a true 40Gb HD. A1200 have 80Gb, A2000 is using two 18.2Gb, the same as mine A3000. :lol: