PDA

View Full Version : SSD DOM

Balooga
31st July 2012, 02:29
Anyone used a DOM (Disk On Module) with their Amiga? It seems these devices plug directly into the IDE header on the motherboard, no cable required.

http://www.memorydepot.com/ssd/listcat.asp?catid=edc400044w

bdb
31st July 2012, 05:15
I haven't used one but I went to the web site referenced and except for the industrial applications listed, I can't see a big difference between the DOM and a CF card; they are both "Solid State Devices" in the same price range and having tested a true SSD 128Gb on the A4000T's IDE, the CSPPC's UW bus, and the sii3114ide.device in OS 4.1, the drive speed is throttled by the interface bus, not the drive.

Use the fastest bus that fits your needs, the drive itself matters much less but should fit your budget and tinkering tastes

I have an IDE->CF Card adapter that fits right on the pins too, but is hard to get to

Kawazu
1st August 2012, 16:57
A big plus on using that thing is that there is no more ide cables, i rly hate those things :D

bdb
1st August 2012, 18:21
You hate just IDE cables or all cables?

Kawazu
2nd August 2012, 07:31
You hate just IDE cables or all cables?

All cables, but the ide and scsi cables are topping the list just becouse they are almost always to long and the with of them are a pain.

I know you can make your own ide and scsi cables and sleav them so they take up less space but i do not have the skills to do it :-D

bdb
2nd August 2012, 15:18
I'm sorry, but if it is the width not the length, why not use round cables?

Retrograde
2nd August 2012, 16:12

Well it's somewhat better I think (dunno the availability these days), but I've got a couple rounded cables and they're (for natural reasons) still quite big near the connectors, in the little cramped wedge Amigas at least space can really be at a premium. SCSI-2 especially has some pretty wide connectors. :lol:

Balooga
2nd August 2012, 16:46
With a DOM, you also get rid of the drive brackets and cradle. So more space available for other mods.

Kawazu
2nd August 2012, 19:30

Its a mix of both, even if you have round cables they still would creat a mess in my tower case.
I want everything to be cordless without higher latency :p

bdb
2nd August 2012, 22:55
Then just get a female IDE-to-CF adapter, plug it in to the IDE Header, and be done with it; they are no more expensive than the cabled ones

I have several Amiga's and only care about cables blocking air flow on the CSPPC's running OS 4.1; those have routed and round cables to allow an extra 80mm case fan to blow across the accelerator card

Kawazu
3rd August 2012, 08:28
Then just get a female IDE-to-CF adapter, plug it in to the IDE Header, and be done with it; they are no more expensive than the cabled ones

I have several Amiga's and only care about cables blocking air flow on the CSPPC's running OS 4.1; those have routed and round cables to allow an extra 80mm case fan to blow across the accelerator card

Well i dont use or have IDE in my 3000T so i have to buy a round long scsi cable.

bdb
3rd August 2012, 14:12
There is a way to cordless, but not without a SCSI-to-IDE -> CF CARD. Personally, I know that SCSI-to-Solid State drives which could connect directly, if that is the way you want to go:
http://www.storagesearch.com/ssd-2p5.html