PDA

View Full Version : Smartphone LCD replacement

Harrison
15th August 2012, 16:54
I accidentally broke my phone last Friday. It was on my desk and a bottle slipped out of my hand and landed on it. :(

The phone was still working but the display was messed up. It looked like a crack in the LCD about a quarter of the way up from the bottom, and everything below that was blank. The rest of the screen was still functioning but was a bit dark and the colours were a bit yellow/green tinged. At least I could still us it, although it was interesting typing a message without being able to see most of the keypad.

I managed to get a replacement LCD from eBay for just 15. It finally arrived today and following a disassembly video on youtube have just managed to complete taking it apart, fitting the new LCD and putting it all back together. And it works! :D

I was worried the digitiser might also have been damaged as this sits over the LCD, but that seems to be functioning fully. So back to normal.

The thing that surprises me every time I have to repair something like this is how little is actually inside the device. They have managed to shrink things down to such a level now that the main PCB looked like it had hardly anything on it, and in addition to that the only real components were ports connected to it, and the LCD and digitiser screens. If it wern't for the Play's slideout gamepad the phone would be very thin, explaining why some of the others like the Xperia Arc are so thin.

I also had to replace the screen on my wife's last phone, a Samsung Jet, and that was a lot fiddlier to do, with multiple PCBs connected by small snap connected ribbon cables and a lot of screws. By comparision the Play has just the one PCB, connected to the gamepad by a ribbon cable, and to the screen and digitiser by a single snap connector. Fairly easy.

If you are at all interested in seeing how one comes apart the video I used is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRjC19j2m48

And repairsuniverse.com that made the video have loads for other phones, so if you ever need to perform some repairs on your own phone see if they have a video to help. Very useful.

So has anyone else attempted to replace the LCD on their phone and what experience did you have?

Skellionz
15th August 2012, 17:03
I tried to replace the LCD on my wifes iphone..it was a nightmare involving crazy things like using a hairdryer to melt the glue holding bits on. I did manage to get the new screen on in the end, but in the process managed to kill the speaker :D in short if you suck like me id get someone who knows what to do on the specific phone to do it

scrappysphinx
15th August 2012, 17:23
I've tried to replace the screen on iPod touch 4th gen before and like the iPhone above its not an easy job. I managed to snap the ribbon on the standy/volume buttons and rip the screen ribbon. Gave up in the end

Harrison
15th August 2012, 17:25
Apple make their devices hard to get into and repair on purpose because they don't want people messing around with them, and would much prefer you pay the large repair bill they charge.

If it is the digitiser (the screen over the LCD that is the touchscreen part) then most phones need a hairdryer or similar to melt the glue to remove them. Luckily for me it was just the LCD on mine, and the digitiser was fine so that could stay glued into the front.

The little ribbon connectors are annoying in all phones. Finding a guide to follow is definitely highly recommended.

Bad_Ad84
15th August 2012, 17:31
To be fair to apple, they are hard to take apart because they cram tons into them.

The ipad is much easier to repair, as there is a lot more free space. iPhone - not so much.

AndyLandy
15th August 2012, 18:17
To be fair to apple, they are hard to take apart because they cram tons into them.

The ipad is much easier to repair, as there is a lot more free space. iPhone - not so much.

Indeed. It's certainly not true that they "do it deliberately to make you go in-store for upgrades and repairs", they just don't consider internal access as a major requirement on anything other than the high-end Macs.

You just need to look at the Mid 2011 Mac Mini. This is the first time they've made the RAM slots easily accessible on the Mini. The disk inside is a standard 2.5" SATA disk, too (although that's more fiddly to get at)

And finally, Apple's repairs service is surprisingly fairly priced. I just had a new battery fitted to my MacBook Air and my brother just got a faulty iPhone 3GS replaced for what we considered reasonable prices.

Merlin
15th August 2012, 19:20
I've repaired a screen on an iPad 2 for a lady at work and that was a :censored:. It took ages to remove the broken screen and then fish all the shards of glass from inside the case.

Apple certainly don't make it easy for you. I was also shocked at the huge amount of fresh air inside the case as well; there didn't seem to be a lot of electronics for the price.

johnim
15th August 2012, 20:19
great work H and other guys

any of you been inside an emac thats a nightmare to work on

Bad_Ad84
15th August 2012, 20:21
I've repaired a screen on an iPad 2 for a lady at work and that was a :censored:. It took ages to remove the broken screen and then fish all the shards of glass from inside the case.

Apple certainly don't make it easy for you. I was also shocked at the huge amount of fresh air inside the case as well; there didn't seem to be a lot of electronics for the price.

The guts are basically an iPhone, but with a much larger screen, which is why there is so much free space. iPhone's and iPads are a similar price :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse any crazy auto corrects or lack of detail (links to info sources)

status
16th August 2012, 18:08
I tried to replace the LCD on my wifes iphone..it was a nightmare involving crazy things like using a hairdryer to melt the glue holding bits on. I did manage to get the new screen on in the end, but in the process managed to kill the speaker :D in short if you suck like me id get someone who knows what to do on the specific phone to do it

Erm, you heat the area of the digitiser to melt away the "glue" that holds it attached to the FRAME of the iphone, not the lcd, to replace the lcd you need to remove the screws only..:D

@OP, Ahh we are old dude, the technology went smaller and our eyes have gone bad.

(a just blasted a cap on the english language.:P)