PDA

View Full Version : Closed ISA PS/2 interface card

Firthy2002
19th August 2012, 20:47
Hi guys I'm looking for a PS/2 ISA card (8 or 16 bit) for my 486 computer as I've only got serial ports and my new mouse is not a combo.

keropi
19th August 2012, 21:15
I'm afraid such a card does not exist... sad but true, either your mobo *could* have a ps2 header or you are stuck with serial mice... :(
as a sidenote, serial->ps2 adapters are just wires, the mouse must support both protocols for those adapters to work.

Firthy2002
19th August 2012, 23:24
I'm afraid such a card does not exist... sad but true, either your mobo *could* have a ps2 header or you are stuck with serial mice... :(
as a sidenote, serial->ps2 adapters are just wires, the mouse must support both protocols for those adapters to work.

I've seen one of these on the other bay
https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtIVXno9PCZKQ3NGWGL4m1nU449cZUtQyU5v-i6VCAS2sgzsZx9A

keropi
20th August 2012, 00:04
Nope, that's a bus-mouse card... Microsoft and logitech for example used to build those cards before ps2 (or even serial connections became standards for mice) and they need special mice naturally...

here is more info if you are interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_mouse

The only way we get ps2 mice on serial-only pcs would be via a serial->ps2 adapter (a similar device to the cocolino for example) , but unfortunately it would require for someone to write a program for a device like a PIC so it does the conversion. I have searched for such a program and I have found nothing that we can use for retro-pc purposes.... the sad part is that several years back I had built such an adapter for a forum friend that worked but I don't have the PIC program anymore :(

rkauer
20th August 2012, 01:25
I found a hack to use a bus mouse in the Amiga, but nothing to use it in a pc.:lol:

keropi
20th August 2012, 09:18
yes strangely enough noone came up with a good solution....

Firthy2002
20th August 2012, 20:05
Guess I'll just have to hunt for a dual mode mouse.