PS3 YLOD

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
oh dear, the wonderful Sony will now fix your unbreakable and fully reliable PS3 with YLOD for $149 if your warranty is intact, much more if you opened it to take a look ;o). it seems Sony didn't learn from Mircosofts Xbox 360 mistakes and used cheap solder, the unit heats up and cools down a few time then the solder breaks (just like the 360)
there are a lot of faulty PS3's on evilbay at the moment, i'm trying to work out if it's worth buying one to attempt a repair, but the faulty units still seem a bit expensive just to play about with.......

PS4 anyone?

JuvUK

Re: PS3 YLOD

I'm sure Zetro will be along in a moment with some interesting links, and a quick insight into the "Sales of Goods Act".

@ JuvUK

Question; where are the photos, since this is in Photo Booth? Would AmiOracle possibly be a better home for this thread?

@Juvvy, i have to disagree mate.
I've had my 60Gb PS3 since it was launched and not a single fail or overheat yet, never even had the fans spin up any quicker than they do normally.
According to online guides, certain model numbers have different fail rates and mine falls into the highest category but it has never had a problem.
The only thing i did notice more recently was that the games were taking longer to load however i pulled it apart and and gave the bluray drive a blast of air to remove some dust and everything is loading a lot quicker again.

On the other hand i've had 3 xbox360's (one older non-hdmi, one white hdmi and one elite) and lost everyone to E74 or RROD.
I've replaced clamps and thermal compund and followed many online tutorials to try fix the problems with the two white consoles and allthough they worked again for a little while they all died again within a month.
The Elite console i took into a local store who guaranteed to fix it for at least 3 months and again it died just after 2 weeks. I got a full refund and ended up splitting the console and selling most of the accessories off.

So i think i'll stick with my PS3 and if it develops the YLOD i'll go buy a new one and save this one for experiment.

Mike

I'm sure ALL console & computer manufacturers suffer some batch fails along the way. It's called cheap labour in China & bad production processing. Some work, some fail, meaning the quality of the assembled circuitry is very sub standard. With the advent of the 500+ fsb speeds genre of motherboards, many brand names were failing because of poor quality soldering of cheap nasty components, meaning burn-outs & severe RMA-ing. As an example, many suppliers dropped the likes of DFI for such crapiness.

I'll side with Scrappy on this one. The PS3 is way more reliable than the XBox ever could imagine to "want to be" & thesedays, Micro$haft have made sure they have a better made product. It's all money at the end of the day & everyone wants as much in their pocket as possible. One of the reasons I'd take Taiwan over China any day now. ;)

Kin

scrappysphinx said:
@Juvvy, i have to disagree mate.
I've had my 60Gb PS3 since it was launched and not a single fail or overheat yet, never even had the fans spin up any quicker than they do normally.
According to online guides, certain model numbers have different fail rates and mine falls into the highest category but it has never had a problem.
The only thing i did notice more recently was that the games were taking longer to load however i pulled it apart and and gave the bluray drive a blast of air to remove some dust and everything is loading a lot quicker again.

On the other hand i've had 3 xbox360's (one older non-hdmi, one white hdmi and one elite) and lost everyone to E74 or RROD.
I've replaced clamps and thermal compund and followed many online tutorials to try fix the problems with the two white consoles and allthough they worked again for a little while they all died again within a month.
The Elite console i took into a local store who guaranteed to fix it for at least 3 months and again it died just after 2 weeks. I got a full refund and ended up splitting the console and selling most of the accessories off.

So i think i'll stick with my PS3 and if it develops the YLOD i'll go buy a new one and save this one for experiment.

Mike

i am in the same boat mate, as i've posted before my 360 is now very old and has not given me a days trouble (yet i have fixed a few for my friends) where as my ps3 died for a past time. also my 360 repairs are now months old and still going strong with daily use.
i guess you and i are part of the lucky few. But you can't disagree with me as it's not my opinion but a fact from Sony, in the sameway that Microsoft had to admit they dropped a clanger.

JuvUK

I don't deny that they have their problems as all consoles do and a quick search on google or ebay for YLOD reveals hundreds of results and faulty consoles but it seems everywhere i turn i see an advert or sign offering RROD repair service and i guess what i was trying to say and maybe i worded it wrongly but the PS3 will always ultimately be a more reliable console than the xbox360 for me.
Infact i had an argument with a woman in Game who was trying to convince me to buy an xbox360 Elite and her basic argument was that it was impossible for the Elite console to have E74 or the RROD as microsoft had permanently fixed it!

all i see is the ps3 seems to be far less home repairable :wink:

and don't forget the 360 has been out much longer and there are more of them in peoples homes, and don't forget to google ps3 failed drive and corrupted graphics, they should up the numbers a bit! lol

JuvUK

to be fair, in order for me to blow the dust out of the blu-ray drive i had to dismantle the PS3 and i have to say its not the quickest of jobs. She's a monster to get into!
But i'll happily keep cleaning her and stick with her till she finally gives up, then i'll move onto the slimmer (although not as good looking) version.

The thing is, every piece of hardware is expected to have a certain percentage fail rate. Look back at the Amiga A500 and the huge drop in fail rates for the A600 in comparison because it moved to surface mounted technology. The same is true of consoles. Even the best made hardware can still expect maybe a 2% fail rate and that is a lot of units as more and more get sold.

Look at the original PS2 as well. That had a load of bad press for failing, but in reality the fail rates were well within acceptable levels for the numbers being sold. I even still have one of the early 30003 PS2's that was meant to be the worst and it still works perfectly, so such fail rate rumours are not an exact science by any means and the more popular a console is, the more are out there, and the more people will hear of failures, or know someone it happened to.

And it happens to any technology. We all know Samsung TVs are pretty reliable, but I had an HDTV from them fail recently. It still didn't stop me buying another one.

I think however it might be a bit different for M$ and the 360. The fail rates seem too prevalent to just be acceptable fail rates due to normal manufacturing. I have yet to talk to an owner who hasn't had a RROD either with their own console, or a brother of friend. I never encountered it being that high for any other system before.

However I will also agree with Kin regarding cheap components and cheap labour to manufacture hardware. PC PSU and motherboard failure rates have been much higher in recent years. The last two dead or faulty PSUs I pulled from systems I was repairing, I opened up and found all of the capacitors had leaked really badly. And Caps on motherboards were bulging or leaking on many I had to replace too. Leading to the reason I now only buy motherboards that are using solid state Japanese manufactured Caps.

Moving to lead-free solder hasn't exactly worked wonders for MTBFs either though, has it?

The simple fact is that lead-free solder is much more brittle than the leaded stuff and designers haven't taken this into account - they still design as they have always done for leaded solder, which allows for some expansion and contraction because it's more flexible. Until that penny drops and they change the designs, the failure rate won't drop appreciably. The reduced failure rate in later Xbox 360s shows they are starting to move in the right direction, but they are a long way off yet.

@ Merlin

Good observation m8y & quite true. Electrical components do move when they get warm & the tolerances with lead free solder are clean out of the window.

Kin

Damned environment!:pissed:

I want leaded solder any day of the year than this über :censored: ROHS solder.:pissed:

Its all down to the last firmware update and if you look on google there is a fix for it.

Its all down to the last firmware update and if you look on google there is a fix for it.

Are you absolutely sure it's not down to marathon online sessions on Modern Warfare 2? That's what caused the problem on my son's PS3. If you Google around there have been more YLODs caused since MW2 came out than any other cause of late.

I'm glad to say i've owned two Xbox 360 consoles and neither has had a single problem! I admit i never bought the early revisions that were plagued with the RROD. I bought the Falcon first and then later bought the current Jasper revision which is noticeably cooler than previous versions.

My old 60gb PS3 on the other hand has been a bit of a nightmare! It's been to Sony and back twice with the YLOD problem (and constant beeping!). I have to say though i never got charged by Sony for the repairs as it was under warranty... but they would never tell me what the problem was either :dry:. Sometimes my PS3 will show a game disc as a movie disc and then i have to reset the console for it to load the game properly (n) Anyway if it dies again i will probably bin it as the repair cost is absolutely disgusting considering it's a fault that could have been prevented in the first place with proper testing (this applies to both Fony and Microshite).

I remember when i used to get really excited about new console being launched, but now i just wait a while and see how reliable they are before buying one as i got spanked with both the PS1 and PS2 for reliability when they were launched! (dodgy CD/DVD drives).

I'm glad to say i've owned two Xbox 360 consoles and neither has had a single problem! I admit i never bought the early revisions that were plagued with the RROD. I bought the Falcon first and then later bought the current Jasper revision which is noticeably cooler than previous versions.

My old 60gb PS3 on the other hand has been a bit of a nightmare! It's been to Sony and back twice with the YLOD problem (and constant beeping!). I have to say though i never got charged by Sony for the repairs as it was under warranty... but they would never tell me what the problem was either :dry:. Sometimes my PS3 will show a game disc as a movie disc and then i have to reset the console for it to load the game properly (n) Anyway if it dies again i will probably bin it as the repair cost is absolutely disgusting considering it's a fault that could have been prevented in the first place with proper testing (this applies to both Fony and Microshite).

I remember when i used to get really excited about new console being launched, but now i just wait a while and see how reliable they are before buying one as i got spanked with both the PS1 and PS2 for reliability when they were launched! (dodgy CD/DVD drives).

don't bin it!! sell it to me so i can strip it out and play around with repairing it!! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom