Closed Cabinet maker

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShambleS1980

Softmodder/Tsoper/Repairer of old xboxes.
AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Country
Wales
Region
Gwynedd
i have been trying to make a crummy mame cabinet for ages now.
I have everything i need except the actual cabinet.

I tried to get the parts in time so i could make it before they started work on the house "i failed" and now builders being builders they keep pushing back the finish date, and i havent seen a builder in 17 days. Any way thats just the background and i have that sorted, here is the request.

I would like for osome one to make me a bartop mame cabinet.
Its going to get a 17 inch flat pannel screen. 4:6 or whatever standard "non wide screen is"

the controll pannel needs to be relitivly large. as it will have 2 joystics and 14 buttons on the face of it...
(6 per player and 1+2 p start)
the sides should also get 1 button on left and right for pinball games.

It would be preferable to have it in a flat pack configuration. because it would need to be posted via courier and the volumetric weight of it assembled would probably be higher than the actual wight.

Any how i had drawn up some designs. so i can supply you with those.
But if you have your own designs feel free to let me see them..

Im not 100% on this thread as it kind of like asking for a quote.
So please dont post the price you will do it for in the thread incase others will try to beat it.

Basically I can do it my self. but its now dragging along and this thing should have been done months ago. if i can get the case made then all i hacve to do is wire up the controlls to my ipac bolt the things in place. and its as good as done.

Thought id throw out the design i had made.

like i said if you think you can do a better job feel free to let me have a look at it.

this seems to be one of my earlier designs.
I seem to remember I made the top flat on the sides to make my life easier in the last one i scetched out..
Thats probably on paper or something though as i cant seem to find it..

Pretty sure the measurements are good though.

I was planning to have the rear pannel screw on and off. and be the only access to it.
But as i said in the 1st post i would be trying to get it made as a flat pack.
So i could then glue and pin/screw it together.

all the holes for speakers/buttons/joystics I can handle here no reall probs.

but the facia for the monitor i would need to have it cut out so the internal cut measurments are in the jpg. you would probably need to zoom in to see them.

sorry but i work in miles yards feet and inches not kelometers meters cm and mm..

Attachments

• Measured1.JPG
    Measured1.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 2
Wow, this caught my attention and sounded like an interesting project to try. But then I realized that you are in another country. Drat.... Your design appears to be sound to me. I wish you the best of luck with getting it done.

Regards,

Nathan

@Shambles1980

I'm a chippy by trade although it's been a long time since I got my tools out :LOL:

There is one flaw in your design.

A lot of your measurements need the thickness of the material adding to them otherwise you will need to infill with an edging strip!!

i.e. The top needs to be 22" * (16" + 1 * thickness), control panels 22" * (5" + 1 * thickness). There are other parts that need to have the same formula applied to them.

Dave G :cool:

@Shambles1980

I'm a chippy by trade although it's been a long time since I got my tools out :LOL:

There is one flaw in your design.

A lot of your measurements need the thickness of the material adding to them otherwise you will need to infill with an edging strip!!

i.e. The top needs to be 22" * (16" + 1 * thickness), control panels 22" * (5" + 1 * thickness). There are other parts that need to have the same formula applied to them.

LOL well whats a nice standard thickness that wont break? 0.35 inches?
If so il use that :D

but i was kind of planing having bits of wood on the inside of the side pannels and also on the underside of the top pannel at front and back. "but not on the sides of the top pannel" and have every other panel sit/lean on them and nail them to those. and then some of that rounded silver stuff for the edges.
(with the thickness i just mentioned. i would use this stuff.. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHROME-ST...145?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c2abe9051)

A bit like this..
please excuse my "paint" abilities.
there would need to be more than just these 2 thingys lol.. but they took for ever to draw so i only did the 2.

i had originaly planned to make this to sell, but due to the farce with the builders my plexi glass got all scratched up. so i need to get more of that, the hardware that going in it has obviously de valued. Now my money invested in it wont see a return.. So i decided il just make it for my self.

I will probably also end up wiering in my ems topgun 2. so i can play point blank. although i think thats going to be dependant on where i put the thing..

as for the actuall pannels I THINK i measured them in such a way that i can vut them all out of one sheet of 8x4 0.35 ply or mdf.
I only ever did metal work so wood work is not my thing.

If i could make it out of box sections and weld it together it would probably be done by now.. It would also weigh more than the moon lol.

Attachments

• like this.png
    like this.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I'll second what davideo said.Most of your top/bottom back etc pieces need be corrected, except the sides.
You asked about thickness, and i was surprised, cause i thought UK is on metric. Have you decided the actual material you will be using for your construction? MDF, melamine, solid wood etc.. If yes, first find out what's available in thicknesses, and then we can talk about corrections! (y)

You asked about thickness, and i was surprised, cause i thought UK is on metric.

ShambleS1980 said:
sorry but i work in miles yards feet and inches not kelometers meters cm and mm..

I can sympathise with that :LOL: :D

they tried "and are still trying" to force metric on us..
they can go away with that i like imperial lol.. its what i have always used.
I am 5'8 I weigh about 13 stone. "i belive thats about 182 Lb's"
my pants come in 34 inch sizes..

I need to have a measuring tape with me to figure out how big something is in mm or cm.. "i just cant picture it" if you tell me its 3 feet 8 inches. i can easily tell how big it is..
Any way thats just something els lol..

as for thickness i think 0.35-0.36 inch. is a pretty standard thickness and its about 9mm if that helps you any.
as for the material i was thinking mdf or ply. not sure about mdf as its probably going to be a bit heavier than ply, but having said that i dont know which would be the most structurally sound for a project like this.
I wouldnt want it dissintegrating after a 2 player 3 hour drunken session on street fighter 2.

like i said however i just planed on having everything slot between the side pannels. and then put that chrome trim stuff i linked to along the edges.

like i said however i just planed on having everything slot between the side pannels. and then put that chrome trim stuff i linked to along the edges.

That stuff would work but your measurements would still need adjusting to suit the method of construction. I'll see what I can do as a guide line.

MDF edges once cut are easier to clean up with a plane than ply would be. You could always mix the two materials and use ply where a cleaned planed edge is not required.

Plenty of glue, wooden strengthening battens and of course screws/nails would help with the strength of the case.

I wish I had the time to make one myself :oops: Perhaps once I retire I'll be able to have a go.

A little update on this for you.

I've had pen and paper out tonight (which makes a change) and done a little drawing for you with your measurements. The height isn't quite what you wanted but it will give you an idea.

i.e. If you construct it in the manner that I've drawn it - the base would be 22" * (18" - 2 thickness of the material), user marquee would be 22" * (10" - 1 thickness of the material), etc.

In fact I wish I had the time to help you with this. The more I look at it the more I want one too :D

Attachments

• Cabinet001.pdf
    308.1 KB · Views: 0
i am trying to understand why it is shorter now lol..

but thank you for going to this much effort(y)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom