PDA

View Full Version : CD32 PSU Buzzing!

Powerpie5000
26th August 2012, 00:37
I usually have my CD32 PSU under my desk, but i decided to move it and have just noticed it's buzzing!... I'm not even sure how long it's been doing this? Could this be a problem as the CD32 still works perfectly fine?

It's the old heavy type PSU (with a UK 3 pin plug of course):

http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/commodore/cd32powersupply.jpg

FOL
26th August 2012, 19:12
I usually have my CD32 PSU under my desk, but i decided to move it and have just noticed it's buzzing!... I'm not even sure how long it's been doing this? Could this be a problem as the CD32 still works perfectly fine?

It's the old heavy type PSU (with a UK 3 pin plug of course):

http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/commodore/cd32powersupply.jpg

Sounds like some type of resonation. I would'nt worry if its working fine.
Those ones are really heavy as they are filled with glue if I recall.

You could always check it offload. See if all voltages are correct.
Should be 5v and 12v.

Powerpie5000
26th August 2012, 20:00
Sounds like some type of resonation. I would'nt worry if its working fine.
Those ones are really heavy as they are filled with glue if I recall.

You could always check it offload. See if all voltages are correct.
Should be 5v and 12v.

I'm guessing the glue is supposed to prevent the buzzing noise (I've seen coil chokes covered in glue to prevent them from whining & buzzing!). The CD32 is working fine so i'm not going to worry unless it gets louder or i start to smell something :D

Cheers :thumbsup:

Cammy
27th August 2012, 05:11
Mine buzzes too and has for years, but it doesn't bother me since I'm deaf, and my CD32 (with SX32) keeps on running fine.

Oge
28th August 2012, 11:15
If the *buzzing* started suddenly, then there is something asking more current than the transformer is able to provide. Which is oftenly caused by a failing capacitor and may lead to faulty regulator and overvoltage on 5V or 12V lines.

I'd suggest getting rid of the cheap Commodore Power Supply in the first place: if it goes overvoltage, you wouldn't notice it unless ICs into your CD32 start to fail.

Cheers,
Oge

FOL
28th August 2012, 12:42
If the *buzzing* started suddenly, then there is something asking more current than the transformer is able to provide. Which is oftenly caused by a failing capacitor and may lead to faulty regulator and overvoltage on 5V or 12V lines.

I'd suggest getting rid of the cheap Commodore Power Supply in the first place: if it goes overvoltage, you wouldn't notice it unless ICs into your CD32 start to fail.

Cheers,
Oge

This is not exactly true. It could more than likely be as already discussed.
Coils and caps vibrating at certain frenquencies.

If a component generally desides to buzz and go faulty, it generally goes BANG. As they have been using them fine, its obviously not this issue.