(cpu not included)

The adapter, like its predecessor can be configured for use with the following

Spectrum Spectrum 48k
Spectrum Spectrum 48k+
Spectrum Spectrum 128K (Toast Rack)
Spectrum Spectrum 128k +2 (Grey)
Spectrum Spectrum 128k +2AB (Black)
Spectrum Spectrum 128k +3

The adapter will be configured to what you want on purchase but is also re-configurable should you change your mind later. This adapter supports a de-bounced NMI header for use with the 48k through to the 128k +2 (Grey)

This allows for saving and loading snap-shots

The above comes with a 15cm IDE cable a small instructions leaflet for connectivity to your system.

I can also provide the following -

• A small push-connect button for the NMI feature £2.00
  • Programmed ROM's
    • £2.00 for 1x W27C257 freely programmed with PPROM (suitble for the 48k upto the 128k +2 (Grey) models)
    • £4.00 for 2x W27C257 freely programmed with the +3e DOS(suitbile for the 128K +2AB and +3 models)

(some more pictures to follow)

Here is a User Manual - Z80 8bit UIDE Manual

I only have 20 of these available and these are the last 8bit IDE adapters for the spectrum I plan on making for quite some time.

Thanks for reading

Last edited:
:oops:

sorry - for the base unit £19.99 + Postage (fees included)

Hi, interested in two including the ROMs. Will require one for a 48K+ and a 128K +3. Will PM to confirm my exact needs!

Mr Zetr0 ohhhhh knowledgable one...what is the difference between this and the previous one i bought >?

can i fit the older one in a 128k ? or will it need a good romming ;-)

It works like divide?

Regards
Any demo available?

Pedro(y)

Not exactly, the DivIDE in its standard form, wont allow you to save any work to the hard-disk device - it only lets you play it.

You could upgrade the DivIDE to include EXSDOS and this will add that functionality back, sadly this also increases the price slightly.

The adapter on a +3 or Black +2(A/B) provides a lot of fun -

Currently I have been playing DOOM on the spectrum from CF card

For more info about using this adapter on the +2AB or +3 then

here is an overview , here is more detail on Formatting and Creating Partitions

I have also a tutorial to put up on how to back-up your disk and tape games to the hard-disk device.

Mr Zetr0 ohhhhh knowledgable one...what is the difference between this and the previous one i bought >?

can i fit the older one in a 128k ? or will it need a good romming ;-)

Yes and no, the older adapter doesn't have the NMI de-bounce circuit but you can easily add one.

You will need to add a 33pf and 1Meg Ohm (in parallel) from the switch to ground and the other end to the NMI on the Z80 ( pin 17 ).

The switch needs to be a momentary switch =)

The ROM upgrade will be Pera Putniks (you can view more here)

you will need to choose either 500MB or under or larger. The disk will need to be formatted and prepared using DrvImg - you can add your favourite snapshots and games using that program

Here is a you-tube of it - I am not sure if it supports 128k snap-shots.

Nice work mr z (y)

sorry for clogging your thread :whistle:

My sincere thanks =)

Hello Lord Zetr0 of great speccy hardware invention fame.

I would love one of these for my +2 (black, not sure which revision A or B yet) or my +3 if that is not being too picky, so could I delcare interest for

One unit with a +3e ROM to cover either of my machines (y)

Speak to you soon, must catch up in any event (y)

Question. Where does this get connected to the Spectrum? This doesn´t look like it has a connector like the divide...
I must open the case and insert this somewhere inside the Spectrum?

What does the other side of that board look like?

Edit:
This is getting really silly.

I get the random kepston movement and firing signals when there is no joystick cable connected... and I just found out this: I get the random joystick movement signals when there is no joystick interface connected. It is enough if I choose kempston in the game menu and the player character will automatically turn, jump and fire randomly.

BUT: If I connect the ram turbo joystick interface, then this does not happen! (it just has the crashing problems sometimes.)

Last edited:
Hello Lord Zetr0 of great speccy hardware invention fame.

I would love one of these for my +2 (black, not sure which revision A or B yet) or my +3 if that is not being too picky, so could I delcare interest for

One unit with a +3e ROM to cover either of my machines (y)

Speak to you soon, must catch up in any event (y)

That my friend sounds like a plan, if you are allowed out this friday theres a curry night on - bring your designated spectrum over and we will install it. (also find yourself a small-ish CF card and I will program it while you are over) =)

Question. Where does this get connected to the Spectrum? This doesn´t look like it has a connector like the divide...
I must open the case and insert this somewhere inside the Spectrum?

What does the other side of that board look like?

This adapter plugs into the CPU socket of the spectrum - and the CPU plugs on top.

Underneath is just a IC ZIF Pin header, resistor and capacitor =)

Interested in one unit to support the development.

Also a Pera Putnik's EPROM, but I don't know which Speccy I'll grab for it, so you can put a blank unit on the package.

Pending the EPROM version I can skip it. I have a few salvaged pc flash ROM in my cave doing nothing.

I'm thinking I need one as well, with all the trimmings. For the +3 I would say, maybe a +2 rom as well. Can't hurt if I change my mind in a week ;)

Interested in one unit to support the development.

Also a Pera Putnik's EPROM, but I don't know which Speccy I'll grab for it, so you can put a blank unit on the package.

Pending the EPROM version I can skip it. I have a few salvaged pc flash ROM in my cave doing nothing.

The PCB manufacture was very kind and sent me more PCB's than I had ordered. Because of this I am in a position to give out a a handful of these adapters free - I have created a list of those I feel have made a positive community contribution in some way (and doesn't already have one of these).

I am pleased to say you are on that list, yours was sent Friday.

Instructions on how to configure the adapter and programmable EEPROM's (3x W27E257) are on also in the box

I'm thinking I need one as well, with all the trimmings. For the +3 I would say, maybe a +2 rom as well. Can't hurt if I change my mind in a week ;)

PM has been replied to =)

While these adapter are re-configurable for any Spectrum computer, you will need to add a small bit of solder on to three solder jumpers as well as cut three solder jumpers.

Please, if possible, reserve one ide interface for me while I consider my options .

My spectrum 128k with turbo ram joystick interface and divide seems to crash loading many games... as an effort to bypass these problems I bought a simple kempston joystick interface which fixes the loading crashing but introduces a new problem: I am getting random joystick move and fire signals which still effectively kills any effort to play games. :(
(no such random signals problems with turbo ram joystick interface with those games that do not crash with it)

So I am hoping maybe it´s compatibility with divide and these interfaces vs my speccy 128k toaster... and I´m hoping maybe if I buy this other ide interface of yours, I would get better results. Alternative would be to solder a very complex (to me anyways, maybe it´s simple to people who actually know what they´re doing) fix to the turbo ram joystick interface as described here: http://www.truppel-online.de/spc/RAMTurboMod001.pdf

Which way would you recommend I should go? I have never opened the spectrum and I am a bit unsure about it as I dont even know for sure if replacing the divide with your solution would be the solution... Also obviously I would need some kind of solution for connecting cf card hard drive to this new ide interface... and maybe some software? Or maybe I should just get the joystick interface fixed and keep the divide.

Sorry for being a bit confused :help:

@Mendel

Hello there, the problem you are experiencing is the fact the joystick interface is not fully decoding the bus and as such introducing problems with the DivIDE.

Ben (Bverstee) on WoS has a small product that can solve this problem for you - alternatively if you like getting your hands dirty with a soldering iron, bread-board and a couple of IC's you could easily make your own.

this IDE adapter is not like the standard DivIDE, as it allows for the loading and saving of files to the hard-disk, in the case of the 48k Spectrum's this is best achieved through the loading and saving of snap-shots.

here is how to get files to the Spectrum using DrvImg

It is important to know that a lot of early issue Spectrum's have the CPU and ROM soldered to the motherboard - obviously these would need to be de-soldered and sockets installed.

Hmm, I suppose I´ll try one more joystick interface. I´ll ask Bverstee. Thanks!

Interested in 128k +2 version and have pm'd zetr0 some questions :)

Hi Zetro!

err, I still havent had time to fit the last version i bought from you :(

can i buy an eprom though and tell me where how to fit an nmi switch to the one i have? I'll get to it in a few weeks (i promise :) )

nice one

cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom