How to safely remove a 040?

RedDaemonFox

Amiga's enemy is my enemy!
AmiBayer
Country
United States of Hell
Region
Melbourne, FL 32901
I have an 040 on a board pulled from a broken mac and now I want to remove it from it's socket. I am afraid of using a screwdriver due to pin bending risk. Is there a trick or tool that will help.

Re: How to safely remove a 040?

if you lift it just a little bit at a time, there wont be any probs... start with the first corner, lift it a tiny bit, then the next one, lift it a tiny bit too and so on... patience will reward you (y)

Ok, as they say, patience is a virtue, but not when a 40 MHZ XC68LC040 is at stake

@dreamy,

very simple this chap, My good friend Keropi has given the main piece to the puzzle

1. gently leve one edge of the chip, just enough to place the width of a terminal screw driver between the socket and cpu

mfg267%20series.jpg

2. if you can place the terminal driver in such a fashion so that bar and not tip is use in between the corner of the cpu and socket.

3. diametrically opposed (yes that the opposite corner) gently lever up the cpu, you will notice youre previous edge will attempt to drop back into the socket, however the bar of the terminal driver will stop it from doing so and you will effectively raise the opposing edge of the CPU.

4. repeat this on the other edge of the CPU and socket. As Keropi points out, you will best do this in small increments cycling through the four edges of the chip in either a clockwise or anticlockwise motion. The Pins are aproximately 4.5mm the barrel or bar of a terminal screw driver will be about 3mm so you will have some play

Remember, becareful, its better to take time in doing this than it is to take time looking on eBay for a replacement.

Some good avice for you Dreamcast & this is defintely do-able. :D

I'd just like to add, keep the screwdriver you are using as the lifting lever perfectly flat. Trying to rotate the driver will dig the corner of the tip into the socket & you could damage it slightly for this movement.

Best of luck m8y. (y)

Kin

You are intending to use this CPU in an A3640 or other Amiga accelerator?

Only if the accelerator don't have a working CPU or it is the same LC type I'll use this one. LC units lacks the MMU and FPU, be warned.

Dreamcast270mhz said:
Nope, EC (embedded controller) lacks the MMU. I'm selling it.

the EC varient of Motorola usualy doesn't have an FPU either, AFAIK, it was only the latter batches of the 060 that were labeld in such a way to meet demand.

Back
Top Bottom