PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard Cleaning

-Acid-
6th September 2012, 15:23
I have an Amiga keyboard here (big box AxK style) but it is quite manky looks like it has been laying around for years. It still looks white but needs a good clean. Do the keys pop on/off easily on these keyboards or is there risk of breaking them beyond repair? I plan on taking all the keys off and washing them by hand in soapy water etc before reassembling.

Any cleaning suggestions anyone can make wil also be considered.

johnim
6th September 2012, 15:59
hi
i just tested the keys on my a2000 and it needed a bit more force to pop off with a flat screwdriver or a dinner knife mine have rubber cups so be careful

the a1200 keys have springs

quarkx
6th September 2012, 16:03
Just don't rush. Each key can and will pop off with a flat head screw driver if you slowly work them. the enter key. spacebar and a few others have metal clips on them also, I have always left these alone, as I have never been able to figure out, how to clip them back into place.
If you look through my threads, you will find many pictures and descriptions of the dozens of keyboards I have cleaned. It's a slow and tedious task, I scrub each key by hand as I don't have a dishwasher, about a 4 hour project.

AndyLandy
6th September 2012, 16:38
Anti-static foam cleaner and a toothbrush. Works a treat on all keyboards. Spray on, scrub with toothbrush, wipe down with some tissue and leave to dry overnight.

Balooga
6th September 2012, 16:53
A $7 key cap puller is well worth the cost in my opinion. May as well get the right tool for the job as things will go a lot faster.

NJRoadfan
6th September 2012, 17:30
A DIP chip puller does the trick to remove key caps and is cheap to buy. You might even have one in your tool kits.

For the extremely filthy Amiga 2000 Cherry MX Black keyswitch board I picked up I did the following.

1. Disassembled outer case and removed keycap board PCB.
2. Took a hose to the external case and scrubbed it.
3. Took the keycap PCB and blew out all the dust and hair that was stuck to it with a compressor.
4. Removed all keycaps and scrubbed them with a toothbrush using warm water and hand soap.
5. Thoroughly rinsed all the keycaps in water and let dry.
6. Cleaned the PCB with cotton swabs to remove dirt that the compressor didn't take off.
7. Reassembled keyboard once everything was dry.

Balooga
6th September 2012, 19:47
Whatever you do, don't sit hunched over a bowl of isopropyl alcohol for hours like I did when I was cleaning a C=64 keyboard. I was on my back for hours after, sick as a dog.

Retrograde
6th September 2012, 19:57
Whatever you do, don't sit hunched over a bowl of isopropyl alcohol for hours like I did when I was cleaning a C=64 keyboard. I was on my back for hours after, sick as a dog.

Worst high ever? :lol:

I tend to chuck things plastic into the sink in warm (not super hot) water with some dish washer fluid, scrub with a small brush.
Takes off 90% of all grime.

TjLaZer
12th September 2012, 21:50
Ah nothing like a fresh clean Amiga keyboard!

First remove the keyboard casing and set aside to clean later. I use a butter knife with a cloth over the edge. Then I gently pop off each key with it and my fingers. Works great and is FREE. Does not damage the plastic keys too.

Simple Green works great on the cases and parts. Rinse and dry and reassemble. Good as new.

UberFreak
12th September 2012, 22:59
No need to clean each key by hand, just put them all in a bowl with water & dish soap in it for a few hours (depends on how dirty/sticky the keys are).

Then, just take them out & wash them with running water & you're basically done :)
If there's still sticky stuff on some keys at this stage, a small toothbrush will do the trick.

And another tip for taking the key caps out: make sure to pull on two sides at once, using a flat screwdriver on only one side will most probably end up with some broken keys!