PDA

View Full Version : *** Need Help with OS 3.9 ***

bitcpy
13th September 2012, 04:22
I need some help here with OS 3.9.

I decided to upgrade a perfectly working and configured A4000D w/ Kickstart 3.1 ROMs and Workbench 3.1 running off a 4GB CF Card.

I pulled the CF card and using WinUAE went through the OS3.9 upgrade process.

After I finished everything and tested under WinUAE I put the CF card into my A4000D and it goes right to the purple Insert Disk screen.

No matter what I do, I cannot get it to boot from the CF card with OS 3.9.

My System Partition is 1GB and Work Partition is 3GB. Card is using SFS and buffers remain at 30. This configuration was perfect on OS 3.1.

Any ideas why OS3.9 boot partition is not recognized in the real Amiga but works fine in UAE ?

Any input/help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you.

Bamiga2002
13th September 2012, 08:16
Try
"Setpatch SKIPROMUPDATES "scsi.device" QUIET"

bitcpy
13th September 2012, 15:06
I found a post about this and tried it but it made no difference.

I just find it strange that it goes to the purple "Insert Disk Screen". Its like it doesnt recognize the boot partition at all.

If it froze at a white or black screen then I would assume it was something like what you suggested.

Try
"Setpatch SKIPROMUPDATES "scsi.device" QUIET"

Laudrup
13th September 2012, 15:14
Have you tried another CF Card? Some of these CF`s are not recognized as a normal IDE drive. Thats why Jens build these: http://www.vesalia.de/e_trueide.htm

You checked the "bootable" for your starting partition? Its important to stay under 1 GB in this partition.

bitcpy
13th September 2012, 15:30
I actually have 2 of the same CF card. I previously used this particular one for an install for my A1200 (which works perfectly). When I was having so much trouble, I swapped the cards around between the machines to make sure the card wasnt the problem.

I've tried the Maxtransfers at both 0x1FE00 and 0x1F000 but it doesnt seem to matter.

I also started with a 1GB System partition, and tried again with 500MB but no difference.

Is there a specific version of SFS that I need to use with OS 3.9 BB2 to make it recognize the boot partition?

PS: Yes. I verified, "bootable". It does work perfectly under WinUAE.

Have you tried another CF Card? Some of these CF`s are not recognized as a normal IDE drive. Thats why Jens build these: http://www.vesalia.de/e_trueide.htm

You checked the "bootable" for your starting partition? Its important to stay under 1 GB in this partition.

Justin
13th September 2012, 15:35
to me it looks like the startup file is wrong

are you using idefix?

boot with no startup and type

ed s:startup-sequence

let us know what is in there:)

Laudrup
13th September 2012, 15:52

are you using idefix?

The drive doesn`t boot, so he cannot type anything. Only the purple boot screen appears and the miggy doesnt recognize the cf as hdd.

bitcpy
13th September 2012, 15:53
I have not installed IDEFix.

Regarding the startup-sequence, I have not modified it in any way. I installed a fresh 3.1, and then did OS3.9 and BB1 & BB2.

It boots and works fine with WinUAE. I will try renaming the startup-sequence and see what happens and report back.

Does the startup-sequence affect the computer finding the boot sector of the disk? If there was a problem with startup-sequence, wouldnt it get past the purple "Insert Disk" screen?

are you using idefix?

Justin
13th September 2012, 15:58
no you are correct, if it was the startup up you would get to the prompt screen:oops:

do you have an old 2.5" hdd you could try?

bitcpy
13th September 2012, 22:25
I just tried formatting and setting up an IBM 1GB Microdrive and same result. Works perfect under WinUAE, but goes right to purple boot screen on the A4000.

I pulled my Kickstart ROM chips out and went back to the 3.0 versions and the CF cards work fine with Workbench 3.0.

Does anyone know where I can find a set of ADF files for Amiga 4000T (TOWER) 3.1 Workbench disks?

I would like to try to install everything on the physical computer instead of WinUAE.

My 4000D has 40.070 ROMS so maybe it has something to do with the built-in scsidevice driver coming off the ROM and lack of proper IDE drivers???

Now that I just messed up my 3.1 install, I dont have the original disks to redo this.

I've searched everywhere but can only find 3.1 ADF for the 4000D and not 4000T.

Thanks in advance guys! :thumbsup:

PS-> Just as a disclaimer: I own a registered copy of AmigaForever, I have 5 Amigas with various kickstart ROM chips, and a whack of WB install disks but not these specific ones. I am not looking to pirate software, but, I feel I own the proper licenses to justify trying to get a copy of the 4000T 3.1 Workbench disks to go with my ROMs and computers. Just wanted to throw this out there so I am not mis-judged.

bitcpy
14th September 2012, 06:43
I have come up with a solution to this so I thought I would share in hopes it might help anyone else who gets stuck in a similar situation.

I am going to be a bit verbose for the sake of any other Noob's out there who get stuck like I did.

Seeing as it is almost impossible to locate an A4000T 3.1 Install disk, I decided to approach it a different way.

I have AmigaForever registered so I have access to the regular 3.1 Install disks. For those that don't, just do some google searches and you will locate a full 6 disk Workbench 3.1 Installation set. I dont want to put links here for this because I am not sure about the licensing implications. My feeling is if you have the ROM, and the computer, you should be able to have the installation disks.

The first problem is to get a workbench.library to place in the Install Disk's Lib folder. For those that don't know, Version 40.070 ROM has this file missing so it needs to be on the diskette in order for it to boot into Workbench.

How do we do this?

1) First, get a copy of Romsplit from here: http://www.doobreynet.co.uk/beta/index.html

2) I loaded up a WinUAE config that I had and selected a Kickstart 40.068 ROM for "Main ROM File". I ran RomSplit, selected "Grab All" (I wanted to take all the modules and back them up) and put them onto my HD.

3) Mount the 3.1 Install disk ADF image into DF0: and copy the retrieved workbench.library into the LIB folder. (You will have to free up some space by deleting unneeded items; I removed the HDBackup and some help files)

That was easy... So far so good.

Next problem; How do we get the ADF file onto an Amiga 880K floppy?

In my case, I did the following:

1) I took my PCMCIA to CF adapter and loaded it up into my Thinkpad Laptop.

2) Copy the 3.1 Install Disk ADF that we just added workbench.library to and put it on the CF card.

3) Grab a copy of ADF2DISK from here:
http://aminet.net/search?query=adf2disk and extract it onto the CF card along with the modified 3.1 Install disk.

4) I transferred the PCMCIA to CF adapter into my A1200 and ran the ADF2DISK to create the Install disk.

Depending on what hardware you have access to, some others might have to do this a different way. In my case, this was the easiest way to get the job done.

At this point, I was pretty confident my problems were over. I take the disk and boot my A4000. Once Workbench loads, I try to run HDTools to see if it recognizes the CF Card. I was surprised to see, IT DIDN'T.

I tried a few combinations of hardware/software changes until I figured out what was wrong. For whatever reason, the version of HDTools that ships on the 3.0 Installation Diskette WORKS, but the one that is part of the 3.1 Diskette DOESN'T.

I am not sure what changed between these 2 versions, but, as soon as I placed the 3.0 HDTools onto my 3.1 diskette, it recognized the CF card and I was able to partition it, format it, and mount it.

If you don't partition and format the CF card with 3.0 HDTools, the Amiga will not see it at boot time. Once it was formatted and partitioned on the Amiga itself, I was able to put it back into my WinUAE environment and complete the Workbench 3.1 installation there rather than feed floppies on the real Amiga.

I now have a fully functional Workbench 3.1 installation on my A4000D with 40.070 ROMS running off a 4GB CF card.

After a few days of rest, I will attempt an upgrade to OS3.9. lol..

In closing, if anyone can explain what happened in the 3.1 release of HDTools that broke CF compatibility, I would love to know.

Hope this helps someone else. :thumbsup: