PDA

View Full Version : Hacking a DTV into a C64/Vic20

rkauer
13th September 2012, 05:53
I have this project for much time in my head, so it's time to start it.

I received a dead VIC-20 from this very site (thanks Dougal!) and the missing broken keys (thanks John Hawk!), plus a 64 DTV (thanks Rich/Darkxavier!).

http://www.amibay.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24346&d=1331896323

http://commodore-gg.hobby.nl/cpics/c64dtv.jpg

http://www.amibay.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29786&d=1340675930

Also thanks to Amibay!

Now on the job: I already searched the various sites about hacking the DTV, the only one that catch my attention was a guy that put the DTV back into a C64. The "c" model on his case.

I want to use my really dead VIC-20 for this, even the back of the computer is different. So what? The innards will be, too.;)

Now on the hard stuff:

I noticed the DTV flash have a problem when using a real keyboard, be it a real PS/2 unit or (in my case) a VIC-20/C64 unit:

1- the two shift keys are reversed ;
2-F7 will not register no matter what;
3-missing "RESTORE" key...:picard

For the F7 issue I know there is a software patch floating around, but for the other two problems, which way I go? I can't code any more, long gone were the days I did some ASM on my ZX80-compatible.

Using an ATMEGA32 will also make me able to construct a SD2IEC inside the machine?

There is a ready-made PCB I can buy? Not willing on buying a commercial unit.

Hints, suggestions and death menaces in this thread, please.:)

Oh, of course a photo booth thread will follow as soon as I dig all the necessary parts!

SkydivinGirl
13th September 2012, 13:32
I'm excited to see your progress Rogerio! It sounds like a lot of fun. I don't know of any SD2IEC kits that are not pre-assembled. If you can find one, it will probably use the same SD2IEC firmware. :thumbsup:

Good luck with the project!

Heather

TheCorfiot
13th September 2012, 17:40
Good luck with the project buddy.

I have plans to stuff a dtv into a 1541 so I will follow your thread with great interest.

TC ;)

pstrinic
13th September 2012, 21:38
Good luck with the project buddy.

I have plans to stuff a dtv into a 1541 so I will follow your thread with great interest.

TC ;)

I stuffed one into a 1571 some years ago. Got a PAL one on the way, looking for inspiration... Definitely following this thread.

thecellartroll
13th September 2012, 21:40
It's a shame DTV board won't fit inside an iPhone 5. It'd make a nice upgrade :p

johnim
13th September 2012, 21:42
nice thread :thumbsup:

and i just sold 2 dtvs on here :thumbsdown:

SkydivinGirl
14th September 2012, 01:14
I have a couple NTSC versions but I think I read that only the PAL ones can be fully hacked. Is this correct?

Heather

rkauer
14th September 2012, 03:35
The last version (the Hummer) is NTSC and is a full upgradeable DTV. I think they are a bit scarce to find.

The original author used the same ATMEGA32 to the C64 keyboard and the MMC2IEC. MMC2IEC is the ancient version of the SD2IEC and early version is fully compatible.

pstrinic
15th September 2012, 00:30
Bah, turns out the one I got from the UK is a batch #041111 NTSC DTV1! WTF?!? :(

I guess I'll need to be a little more specific next time.

rkauer
15th September 2012, 03:27
The latest models are PAL/NTSC switchable, just have to move a SMD resistor and re-flash the ASIC.

Tutorials on how to do it are floating around in the web.

pstrinic
15th September 2012, 05:00
I think 041111 is a pretty late v1. Didn't think those could be flashed.

The latest models are PAL/NTSC switchable, just have to move a SMD resistor and re-flash the ASIC.

Tutorials on how to do it are floating around in the web.

rkauer
15th September 2012, 05:08
Version 1 (http://galaxy22.dyndns.org/dtv/v1/index.html)

Version 2/3 (http://galaxy22.dyndns.org/dtv/v2/index.html)

rkauer
2nd October 2012, 08:09
First bump:

I searched for an ATMEGA32 chip in my home country: nothing. Searching the web returned almost the same results (only recouped chips from China).

Decided to buy the modern-day equivalent, the ATMEGA32A (note the suffix). Put it on my trusted LEAP48 programmer and... pin 39 is not connected, WTF???:mad:

Tried again with same results...:banghead:

Apparently the A revision does not have the very same behaviour when connected to my "smart" programmer.

I am not keen on making a DIY USB programmer just for one ATMEL chip spending an expensive ZIF socket.

Any help?

pstrinic
4th October 2012, 17:26
First bump:

I searched for an ATMEGA32 chip in my home country: nothing. Searching the web returned almost the same results (only recouped chips from China).

Decided to buy the modern-day equivalent, the ATMEGA32A (note the suffix). Put it on my trusted LEAP48 programmer and... pin 39 is not connected, WTF???:mad:

Tried again with same results...:banghead:

Apparently the A revision does not have the very same behaviour when connected to my "smart" programmer.

I am not keen on making a DIY USB programmer just for one ATMEL chip spending an expensive ZIF socket.

Any help?

I lost you there... Which ATMega32 are you trying to flash?

rkauer
5th October 2012, 03:12
ATMega32A is all I found. Minor update, but then my programmer can't cope with it (returns a pin39 unplugged alarm).

Otherwise a 100% compatible with the old ATMega32.

pstrinic
6th October 2012, 21:56
Got a Hummer Off-Road Racing game in the mail yesterday. The box shows a bit wear, but the until is still factory fresh. I apparently broken the factory seal to see the condition inside. It's so nice I almost don't want to tear it apart, but I'm sure I will ;)

Not I just need to figure out what to make out of it.