PDA

View Full Version : Clone 8Gb CF Hard Drive

CrazyC
14th September 2012, 18:41
Hi all,

A while ago I set up and 8Gb CF hard drive with various partitions. I found it a bit of a pain quite honestly, having to mess around with different file systems and offsets etc.
I now have a new 8gb card and would like to clone the original, so I can put it in my second amiga, in the Man Cave (work in progress).

Please tell me there is a quick and simple way?
Cheers
C.

johnim
14th September 2012, 18:52
hi the easiest way is through winuae on the pc

make folders on the pc for each partition copy across the files

then have a look at my sfs guide to setup the new cf

then copy the files back over to new cf

fitzsteve
14th September 2012, 19:21
Something like Norton Ghost maybe?

joe384
14th September 2012, 19:40
If you are familar with linux, I would use the "dd" command in linux, this is how I backed up my Hard Drive.

dd if=(device name of cf) of=imagefile

Then do the opposite to put the image back on the new cf.
If you can connect both, you can do it in one go with: dd if=(device name of old cf) of=(device name of new cf)

robinsonb5
14th September 2012, 20:02
dd if=(device name of cf) of=imagefile

Then do the opposite to put the image back on the new cf.
If you can connect both, you can do it in one go with: dd if=(device name of old cf) of=(device name of new cf)

I'd strongly recommend against doing that with any kind of flash device. You're far better off writing just the individual files than doing a block-by-block copy of the whole device, due to the way wear-levelling is usually implemented.

(If both the flash device and operating system support the TRIM command, then doing that is fine, but otherwise it will leave the device with a minimal pool of spare blocks.)

pstrinic
14th September 2012, 22:26
Physical Drive Image Creator, can do the job if the cards are the same size.

http://csdb.dk/release/?id=74521

CrazyC
14th September 2012, 23:45
Physical Drive Image Creator, can do the job if the cards are the same size.

http://csdb.dk/release/?id=74521

That looks very interesting, I will look into it. In the meantime I have done it by meticulously following the guide mentioned above. Thanks all.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

johnim
15th September 2012, 00:23
Glad your sorted :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

CrazyC
15th September 2012, 20:51
The formatting went fine with your guide, but is taking ages to copy filled over using dopus. Might try the imaging tool next time.....

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

johnim
15th September 2012, 21:21
hi you can also
in cli

Copy Dh0: Dh0_1: clone all

eg you need to change all drive names to suit yours tho

CrazyC
15th September 2012, 21:26
Cheers - I will try that with the second partition I am going to copy over.

bitcpy
19th September 2012, 14:33
I just went through the same process you are going through.

The easiest way is what JohnIM posted. Just use the CLI command to copy the files. Just make sure you add the "CLONE ALL" options to the commandline. I did this same approach and worked fine.

Cheers - I will try that with the second partition I am going to copy over.

CrazyC
19th September 2012, 14:44
I did try it but it just seemed to create directories and not copy any files - what did I do wrong?

I have ended up using Dopus but its taking forever and keeps crashing winuae after a while and so I am having to always track down the missing files by comparing sizes. Its a right royal pain.

Cheers

bitcpy
19th September 2012, 15:14
If it isn't copying the files, then I suspect that the System you booted from is the one you are trying to copy to.

When you are adding the "Hard Drives" and "Hard Files" in WinUAE, make sure you add the device that you want to boot from FIRST.

Then add your target hard drive second.

If you booted from the correct system then it should copy without hassle.

I struggled through this myself so I feel your pain.

I did try it but it just seemed to create directories and not copy any files - what did I do wrong?

I have ended up using Dopus but its taking forever and keeps crashing winuae after a while and so I am having to always track down the missing files by comparing sizes. Its a right royal pain.

Cheers

CrazyC
19th September 2012, 15:58
If it isn't copying the files, then I suspect that the System you booted from is the one you are trying to copy to.

When you are adding the "Hard Drives" and "Hard Files" in WinUAE, make sure you add the device that you want to boot from FIRST.

Cheers

I booted from the CF hard drive that I am setting up. It is partitioned into 7 drives - Dh0 to DH6. Workbench is on Dh0.
I have then got Dh7 and Dh8 which are directories with files in on the PC. I wish to copy Dh7 to Dh1 and Dh8 to Dh2. Is this a problem because I booted from Dh0 which is the same physical media, although on a different partition?
Cheers
c.

bitcpy
19th September 2012, 16:09
That should be fine. So, once the copy operation is done, are you saying if you do a "dir dh1:" you get no files but just directories?

I know that through Workbench the files wont be visible unless you do a "Show All" but using CLI commands you should be able to see them with a DIR command.

I cant think of any other reason why this wouldn't work for you.

I booted from the CF hard drive that I am setting up. It is partitioned into 7 drives - Dh0 to DH6. Workbench is on Dh0.
I have then got Dh7 and Dh8 which are directories with files in on the PC. I wish to copy Dh7 to Dh1 and Dh8 to Dh2. Is this a problem because I booted from Dh0 which is the same physical media, although on a different partition?
Cheers
c.

jvdbossc
19th September 2012, 20:19

Cheers

Cheers
c.

I normally just use workbench, select show all on donor, select all files, and make the windows lare enough, deselect garbage can with ctrl, and while shift is pressed draw the files to the empty drive.

While this is not a good thing on old pc's to do inc winblows it does seems to work the same on amiga.

I also think, but I am not sure (please check like in early boot) that added dh0 gets dh0.1 not dh0_1. You really need to check as Johnim pointed that the drives are right, and that no files are present on the target. IT is exact sience, can be pain to configure.. :picard

fgh
19th September 2012, 21:25
Like robinson said you shouldn't do a block for block write to a flash drive.
This shouldn't stop you from creating an image in WinUAE or PD Image Creator though, as this is a convenient backup method.

Here are some tips for gaining speed when copying to flash media within WinUAE:

Use a fast emulation configuration with JIT and 'fastest possible CPU'
Add drive buffers in AmigaOS (addbuffers 1000 for each partition should max them out)
Use UAE hdd-controller for file copying (IDE0 is slower)
For me windowed mode was faster than fullscreen, but I guess this might vary with configuration
Finally you can enter turbo mode by pressing end+pausebreak. For me this was less reliable, but you migh have more luck.

I don't know what would cause your crashes, but I'd boot straight into SHELL (boot without startup-sequence) to avoid software conflicts and copy with 'clone all' as described above.