PDA

View Full Version : More help with a ZX Spectrum needed

AlessandroS
17th September 2012, 02:32
Hey everyone,
First off, thanks to all those who helped in my previous thread. My speccy is powering up, and I have a capture device to view it with, but no keys are working. Before I buy a new keyboard membrane, is there a way to test the keyboard?
Because if I find that it is working, then I clearly have a more serious problem.
Thank you,

AlessandroS

80sFREAK
17th September 2012, 04:33
Try to re-set ribbon cables into slots. Next step is short cut "keys" on the slots. You have to trace'em from membrane.

Spraydough
17th September 2012, 10:07
I had a little success cutting the damaged 'tails' of my speccy membrane off (only took off about a centimeter or so) just to test the membrane, but I guess only do that if it shows damage else you will deffinatly need a new one! There are a couple of dead handy online membrane stores out there that also give tips about fixing and replacing the membranes yourself.

xc8
17th September 2012, 17:43
Hey everyone,
First off, thanks to all those who helped in my previous thread. My speccy is powering up, and I have a capture device to view it with, but no keys are working. Before I buy a new keyboard membrane, is there a way to test the keyboard?
Because if I find that it is working, then I clearly have a more serious problem.
Thank you,

AlessandroS

is it a 48k ZX ? if so, be very careful when you remove the membrane as is "glued" with double sided tape on the faceplate (but you can find brand new -not original- faceplate too..)

AlessandroS
17th September 2012, 23:27
Try to re-set ribbon cables into slots. Next step is short cut "keys" on the slots. You have to trace'em from membrane.

I've tried resetting them, no luck though. How do I shortcut them?

I had a little success cutting the damaged 'tails' of my speccy membrane off (only took off about a centimeter or so) just to test the membrane, but I guess only do that if it shows damage else you will deffinatly need a new one! There are a couple of dead handy online membrane stores out there that also give tips about fixing and replacing the membranes yourself.

So, you mean cutting off a little of the ends off, and exposing contacts higher up?

is it a 48k ZX ? if so, be very careful when you remove the membrane as is "glued" with double sided tape on the faceplate (but you can find brand new -not original- faceplate too..)

I thought it was, but my membrane wasn't really stuck on, only on the sides. But anyway, I took it all off and everything's fine.
I just want to know that the problem is indeed the membrane, before I buy a replacement.