PDA

View Full Version : Struggleing to get XM1541 cable to work.

tokyoracer
18th September 2012, 15:41
I can't seem to get my 1541 or 1541-II drive to talk to either my desktop or my ThinkPad laptop. It did however work fine on my Dad's set up some months (or years!) ago but have never managed to get it to work again. Ideally i'd like to get it to run on the ThinkPad as it is more portable but after playing with some BIOS settings and gui4cbm4win and StarCommander under XP, I have had no luck. Both drives just keep spinning with both lights on.

Any ideas?

P.s. Both drives work fine with my C64c.

SkydivinGirl
18th September 2012, 17:12
Get OpenCBM (http://www.trikaliotis.net/opencbm-alpha). Follow the directions for installing the drivers under the Windows section of the web site. Then get the GUI that works with that version of OpenCBM. You can find all the files on SourceForge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/opencbm/files/).

It should work perfectly! Let me know how it turns out. :)

Heather

tokyoracer
18th September 2012, 18:46
Thanks Heather, that software seems alot better! The good news is that it's stopped spinning and the red light is out, however nothing else seems to be happening. When trying to detect the drive I get "No drives found, please check cbm4win installation and directory paths!".

Khyron
18th September 2012, 18:58
Try changing the par port mode in the bios (I'm using an old A series TP and it works fine)

tokyoracer
18th September 2012, 19:12
Try changing the par port mode in the bios (I'm using an old A series TP and it works fine)
I have tried playing around with the parallel port setting in BIOS and it doesn't seem to make a difference. :shrug:

SkydivinGirl
18th September 2012, 21:34
In the GUI4CBM4WIN options, make sure the drive number is correct for the drive you have attached before clicking Detect Drive. I've attached a snapshot of my settings.

Did you have both your floppy drives turned on when you ran the instcbm.exe from the OpenCBM package? If not, try attaching them and turning them on then run the instcmb.exe file again.

Heather

tokyoracer
19th September 2012, 02:08
Hmm still no luck, tried your settings and the instcbm.exe but seems to still be the same. Pretty sure they are both "8" drives too.

If its of any help, my BIOS has these following options for the parallel port:

Mode: Output only, Bi-directional or ECP.

Base I/O address: 378, 278 or 3BC.

Interrupt: IRQ 7 or IRQ 5.

SkydivinGirl
19th September 2012, 02:54
If both drives are drive # 8 then you can only have one turned on or connected. Otherwise, they will not work.

I'm out of ideas after that. :(

Heather

*Edit* You should use ECP first then Bi-Directional if that doesn't work. The other settings should be set to their default.

pstrinic
19th September 2012, 03:05
Since I haven't used an X cable in 7-8 years, I will just suggest looking into a ZoomFloppy. USB for the win! ;)

SaviorX
19th September 2012, 03:17
http://sta.c64.org/xcables.html

also, if using WinXP, try this program:

http://hem.passagen.se/tomasf/UserPort/

to allow the port to be accessed in 'user mode'

rkauer
19th September 2012, 06:42
Userport is the program to use in XP environments. Too bad it does not work in Vista/7.

SkydivinGirl
19th September 2012, 13:51
Hmm... I had my X series cable working perfectly with Windows 7 32-Bit using just the OpenCBM software. When I went to Windows 7 64-Bit, I picked up a ZoomFloppy because I couldn't get my X cable working properly.

Heather

tokyoracer
20th September 2012, 17:43
Thanks all and heather especially, I'l give the suggestions a go in a bit (and yes I am only using 1 drive, I am just stating they both work but both are acting the same when pluged into the PC).

Tried ECP but still the same. :( Myabe it's just incompatible.

SkydivinGirl
20th September 2012, 18:10
I'm sorry you haven't had better luck. :( I'd really recommend getting a ZoomFloppy if you think you'll be using your disk drive with your PC a lot in the future. They really take away all this hassle.

Good luck!

Heather

tokyoracer
20th September 2012, 18:28
No need to be sorry, the support was great, I am very thankful so thank you very much indeed. :)

I have tried the UserPort software but all I get is "Could not open \\.\UserPort. Please start the driver first!". How to i "start" a driver? I had placed the driver into the folder requested.

Merlin
20th September 2012, 19:52
@ tokyoracer

Why don't you swap pins 10 and 11 over inside the parallel port plug and see if it works any better on your machine as an XE 1541 cable?

tokyoracer
21st September 2012, 14:26
@ tokyoracer

Why don't you swap pins 10 and 11 over inside the parallel port plug and see if it works any better on your machine as an XE 1541 cable?
I don't want to risk ruining a working cable that has been very nicely put together. It works great on my Dad's PC but just not on anything else I have. :(

imaga_050
21st September 2012, 19:54
If you're adventurous you could try booting a Linux Live CD and try to compile opencbm for Linux the kernel might support your hardware. Send me a PM if u want me to guide you through it over MSN.

Skickat från min HTC Desire via Tapatalk 2

tokyoracer
22nd September 2012, 07:40
If you're adventurous you could try booting a Linux Live CD and try to compile opencbm for Linux the kernel might support your hardware. Send me a PM if u want me to guide you through it over MSN.

That's not a bad idea, do you think Puppy will work?

roy_bates
23rd September 2012, 09:42
starcommander wont work reliably under windows xp.
what i did was i made a 2gig bootable partition in dos on a old sata drive and ran it from there it works great this way,yes i use a xe1541 cabe on the par port.

imaga_050
29th September 2012, 21:14
Any Linux distro will work but u should pick an older version. I know for sure it works with 2.6.31 kernel. It's a bit complex to compile on some newer kernels as u might need to edit some include files for file locations. Or u might need patches. If you're lucky it might just work too, like magic you know. :roll:

Elgen
29th September 2012, 22:00
+1 for the DOS solution. Used that for many years now...never had problems with either StarCommander or 1541-emulators };-P

TheCorfiot
29th September 2012, 23:58
Actually guys it all runs fine from a bootable dos floppy with star commander and cd rom drivers, just enough space.
You can then write floppies from a d64 library on the cd rom....;)

SaviorX
30th September 2012, 01:01
thats the thing, back when i started out using a DOS setup, with Star Commander..probably on a 386 with 4mb ram...it all just worked fine with a plain X1541 cable..no issues whatsoever...

all the newer stuff just seems to have complicated it all :P

Azhrei
30th September 2012, 01:58
I echo pstrinic's post - the ZoomFloppy is very much worth it. I used an XM1541 cable in the past and when it worked it was fine, but it gave me so much trouble. The drive spinning and not stopping once Windows loaded past a certain part (before ever getting to the login screen), drive initialisation failures, ignoring any and all commands, constantly going back into the bios and changing the parallel port from EPP to ECP in the vague hope that it'll work this time, getting stuck in a loop and crashing the pc, etc.

I know that purchasing hardware to do what a simple cable should do is probably not what you're looking to do, but believe me whe I say that it is worth it. No more crashing, no more drive spinning, no more having to restart and mess about with the bios over and over... worth it's price three times over, I say!