PDA

View Full Version : stuck button on a tac 2

moijk
19th September 2012, 23:28
one of my tac 2's had two stuck buttons. took it apart and got one out easily. the other however..

i've tried..

soaking it in citric acid for hours - no change
using excessive amounts of isopropanol - no change
bathing it an hour in hot water - no change
using my full force to try push the button in - no change
using my full force to try push a metal pin (with a cloth on the end not to damage the button) in - no change

i have no idea how the button can manage to still stick. did the previous owners superglue the damn thing? only i noticed were smell from a cigarette smoke from the inside. damn ugly habit.

any more ideas? I could try pry it open, but then i might damage the plastic.

---------- Post added at 22:28 ---------- Previous post was at 22:05 ----------

Now i also tried hammering with the end of the door handle. desperate times calls...

Plus i took a plier down into the button to try turn the button, but the plastic is too weak there to take force.

the other tac 2 with directonal problems works perfectly after my cleaning. so it is just to get this unstuck before i got two fine ones. but damn how resiliant that button was.

will i destroy the plastic if i soak it in alcohol for say 8 hours?

davideo
19th September 2012, 23:29
You could try soaking in Vinegar first - it's surprising what it can do :)

Dave G :cool:

moijk
20th September 2012, 06:55
You could try soaking in Vinegar first - it's surprising what it can do :)

Dave G :cool:

Well, it has about four hours of vinegar to look ahead to. see if that makes it give up its way.

I've tinkered with a lot of basic stuff like this over the years, but never met something in plastic which should be so fluid in its motions like this that have stuck like that.

moijk
20th September 2012, 13:06
Vinegar - no effect
hammer - no effect
more prying - no effect

alchol is the current trial. the base has let go of the glue a long time ago. but the button is still stuck.

without a working button the stick is just for parts anyways, so i've gone from careful to careless in my trials here ;)