PDA

View Full Version : Silver surfer?? Anyone managed to get one working??

Balooga
22nd September 2012, 18:16
I have two Silver Surfers, but have yet to be successful in getting either of them to work.

I have tried using the motherboard clockport of an A1200. I can open the devices successfully, but that is it. I set up Term on two machines, make sure that they can communicate using serial.device. Then open the silver surfer device on the one (still using serial.device on the other) using the exact same settings, and nothing.

roy_bates
23rd September 2012, 09:46
are you using a null modem cable? and also what speed are you trying to set the up as?

Balooga
23rd September 2012, 18:18
Yes to the null modem cable. I set up two machines using the internal serial ports to make sure I have the serial settings correct. Then I move the cable to the silver surfer on the one machine, and change the device only.

I have tried all speeds from 2,400 to 115k.

Merlin
23rd September 2012, 20:03
Have you tried both switching protocols, i.e. CTS/RTS and Xon/Xoff? How are you setting up the other parameters of the serial connection, e.g. 8N1 (8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit)?

Balooga
23rd September 2012, 20:23
The settings on both machines are identical (8N1). I have tried both CTS/DTS, as well as CTS/DTS(DTR). I have not tried software flow control. I will throw both silver surfers in the trash if these require software flow control.

Like I said, I first get both machines communicating using the internal serial ports. Then, without changing any other settings except for silversurfer.device, I move the null cable from the internal serial port to the silver surfer.

The device opens successfully. But nothing is received at the other terminal.

Golem
24th September 2012, 16:30
I got one working successfully with Amiga Explorer. That was just a case of changing the device name and starting off with a low baud rate until I hit it's max.
I did try altering the RKManual serial examples to get it to work with silversurfer.device but that was beyond me.

Balooga
24th September 2012, 19:04
Can you share your settings for Amiga Explorer?

SERDEVICE=silversurfer.device
SERUNIT=?
UNIT=?

Golem
24th September 2012, 19:26
Can you share your settings for Amiga Explorer?

SERDEVICE=silversurfer.device
SERUNIT=?
UNIT=?

Sorry it was a while ago but I don't recall changing them from 0