PDA

View Full Version : Double CF IDE adapter ?

runequester
23rd September 2012, 17:40
I currently run a CF card in my A1200 as, I imagine, most people nowadays. However, I am rather keen on having 2 separate drives/cards. Vesalia has CF adapters that permit two cards to be used.
Does anyone have any experience with these? Work? Don't work well?

rkauer
23rd September 2012, 18:13
If using micro-drives (a real HD in CF format), certainly.

The Amiga SCSI.device does not "like" two removable devices in the IDE bus.

bitcpy
23rd September 2012, 18:23
I am running a dual CF Adapter on my Amiga 1000 using Workbench 1.3. It has 2 x 4GB CF cards mounted and everything works wonderfully.

1 of them is formatted with FFS and the other is formatted as FAT95 so I can move it between the PC and A1000 and copy files back and forth.

The CF adapter itself is nothing special; just the standard ones you see on eBay all the time.

AndyLandy
23rd September 2012, 18:27
It's definitely one of those "Your mileage may vary" moments. Some people report success with dual-IDE-CF adapters, others don't. You even get the likes of me who's never managed to make even a single CF card work as an internal HD!

:Doh:

runequester
23rd September 2012, 18:42
I guess it's just give it a shot :) I only want to use it for hard drives. Having 2 distinct cards is a bit more flexibility, without having to fuss over 4 GB limits, and if one goes cronk, I can swap for the other one :)

I have a PCMCIA adapter with a FAT formatted card, for file transfers (and it effectively doubles as additional storage, but it's not bootable of course)

bitcpy
24th September 2012, 02:10
Yikes Andy! It has to be related to the type of CF cards you are using or maybe the type of adapter you were given was not good.

I've got CF cards in my A1000, A1200 and A4000 all acting as the primary boot drive and in some cases have a second CF for Work/Data.

I always use Kingston or Transcend cards and they are all 4GB. SFS on the A1200 and A4000 and FFS on the A1000.

Give it another shot.. My favourite upgrade so far. :thumbsup:

It's definitely one of those "Your mileage may vary" moments. Some people report success with dual-IDE-CF adapters, others don't. You even get the likes of me who's never managed to make even a single CF card work as an internal HD!

:Doh:

I would definitely give it a shot because I feel it is well worth the effort once it is all setup and working.

In my A1200, I only use a single, but, that is because I have the PCMCIA adapter that I use to transfer files around and dont need more than the 4GB on my primary card.

Just make sure that the one you buy supports CF Type I & II and supports BOOTABLE cards.

The most important thing is to make sure the MaxTransfer mask is set correctly so that you have a stable system. If you forget to do this, you will get random "Software errors" and system crashes/lockups.

Good luck!

I guess it's just give it a shot :smile: I only want to use it for hard drives. Having 2 distinct cards is a bit more flexibility, without having to fuss over 4 GB limits, and if one goes cronk, I can swap for the other one :smile:

I have a PCMCIA adapter with a FAT formatted card, for file transfers (and it effectively doubles as additional storage, but it's not bootable of course)

desiv
24th September 2012, 03:58
Yeah, I've got a dual working on my A1000, but it came that way from tomthul.
Not sure if that adapter is designed specifically to work that way.
Haven't tried a dual CF on my 1200.

Actually, what I'd like to try is a 2 port IDE cable with 2 single CF adapters.
Then 1 can be my HD and the other can be a 2nd external drive (Amiga or FAT95) for transfers.
Hmm.....

desiv

fgh
24th September 2012, 11:13
If using micro-drives (a real HD in CF format), certainly.
The Amiga SCSI.device does not "like" two removable devices in the IDE bus.

Scsi.device doesn't know the difference between removable and fixed ATA devices. [more info (http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=19899)]
IDE-Fix and other drivers from Elaborate Bytes fail (freeze) with ATA devices identifying as 'removable' though (= some, but not all CF cards).
But indeed, more CF cards than HDD's seem incompatible with amiga drivers. This is however for other reasons, currently not well documented.

Actually, what I'd like to try is a 2 port IDE cable with 2 single CF adapters. Then 1 can be my HD and the other can be a 2nd external drive (Amiga or FAT95) for transfers.
This is clearly possible in theory, but your mileage may vary as Andy says.
Make sure you use a short cable, as long cables (> ~30cm) need a buffered IDE interface. (A4000 has it, a600/1200 do not)
With a short cable or dual adapter, and correct master/slave setup, some are successful, and some struggle with different problems, including unstable operation.
As Jope says here (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=58455) this also depends on the devices you connect.

Good luck, and keep us posted :)

AndyLandy
24th September 2012, 11:29
Yikes Andy! It has to be related to the type of CF cards you are using or maybe the type of adapter you were given was not good.

I've got CF cards in my A1000, A1200 and A4000 all acting as the primary boot drive and in some cases have a second CF for Work/Data.

I always use Kingston or Transcend cards and they are all 4GB. SFS on the A1200 and A4000 and FFS on the A1000.

Give it another shot.. My favourite upgrade so far. :thumbsup:

Well, it's one of the two, either the card or the adapter. They just never show up in HDToolBox/HDInstTools, nothing's ever detected, sometimes the Amiga just crashes when you scan the SCSI bus, other times it just says "Nope! Nothing there."

So, I bought a bunch of 4GB laptop disks for úcheap from the Other Bay. Much happier as a result! One day I might give CF/IDE another go, but I need to re-grow some hair first!

:thumbsup:

bitcpy
24th September 2012, 15:39
Take 5min and try this:

Connect up the CF adapter with your A4000 and boot it up with a Workbench 3.0 disk. Run HDTools from the WB 3.0 disk and see if it detects it.

I struggled through this problem as well and the solution was to use WB 3.0. Once I did this, the card detected immediately and I was able to partition and format it using WB 3.0. Once all of this was done, I rebooted with OS 3.1 and did an OS3.1 & OS3.9 install.

All is well now.

Let me know if this works for you.

Well, it's one of the two, either the card or the adapter. They just never show up in HDToolBox/HDInstTools, nothing's ever detected, sometimes the Amiga just crashes when you scan the SCSI bus, other times it just says "Nope! Nothing there."

So, I bought a bunch of 4GB laptop disks for úcheap from the Other Bay. Much happier as a result! One day I might give CF/IDE another go, but I need to re-grow some hair first!

:thumbsup: