WarpEngine questions

Marcb

AmiBayer
Country
Australia
Region
Sydney
Hi,

I've just installed Warpengine 040 40mhz in my 4000D and I have a few questions..

All is well except for the Deneb not working in dma mode anymore (works fine in Z2 mode though) but I had to remove the 68040.library otherwise it crashed during boot...

Also, sysinfo reports fpu and mmu not in use...is this because I have no 68040 library?

I read the WE manual and it said to change the clock source to ext if the crystal at u104 was 28mhz... My u104 has a 50mhz crystal so I've left the two clock source jumpers set to int, is that right?

Cheers,

Marc

Last edited:
Hi,

I've just installed Warpengine 040 40mhz in my 4000D and I have a few questions..

All is well except for the Deneb not working in dma mode anymore (works fine in Z2 mode though) but I had to remove the 68040.library otherwise it crashed during boot...

Even if you have the latest Buster #11 you can only have one DMA device. It is the SCSI controller on the W.E. since it is the first device loaded from ROM. That's why Deneb quit working.

A simple "cure" is disabling the SCSI controller in the accelerator if you don't use it.

Also, sysinfo reports fpu and mmu not in use...is this because I have no 68040 library?

No, that's because you are not using the MMU. To make use of it, issue this command in a CLI:
Code:
CPU FASTROM

Then run Sysinfo again.

Using OS3.5 or 3.9 will use the MMU even without this command.

I read the WE manual and it said to change the clock source to ext if the crystal at u104 was 28mhz... My u104 has a 50mhz crystal so I've left the two clock source jumpers set to int, is that right?

Cheers,

Marc

It is working? If so, don't mess with it.

But running the 040 CPU in 50MHz is not healthy for it...:twisted::flamethrower:

Thanks rkauer,

Feel kindof silly now about the dma thing because I remember reading that in the manual :LOL: but I want to use the scsi at some stage so I think I'll put up with using the Deneb in z2 mode...

I tried 'cpu fastrom' but still no change with the mmu status :?:

The w.e seems to be working fine at the moment but I might change those jumpers to ext just to be sure, I don't want to damage the 040...
:thanks:

@ Marcb

Whenever you fit an accelerator in an A4KD/T, the jumpers should always be set to use the External position on the Jumpers, though I think the CSMKII is exception to the rule.

If you look at the X-tal on your WE, that should be the 040's actual speed.

Should the card work with Internal jumpers set, it will use the divide by 2 counter on the board & run @ 25Mhz.

Hope that makes some sense to you & all the best,

Kin

Hi Kin,

Thanks for clearing that up, I will definitely change the jumpers then...

Only thing that annoys me is I have to take the whole thing apart again and I've already cracked one of the tabs on the faceplate, should have come on here before installing it!

Cheers,
Marc

Just a last clarification: the Warp Engine have two crystals, the out-most one is the general board clock and the one right on its side is the 040 crystal.

I never heard of a Warp Engine running @50MHz and this was bouncing in my mind for some time...

The board is not able to run at this clock, as the memory SIMM receive the same clock as the CPU. To explain a bit better: a 40MHz CPU must have 60ns SIMM banks attached. For a theoretic 50MHz CPU you need impossible to find 40ns SIMM!

Hmmm...

Sysinfo reckons it is running at 43.75mhz so I guess that goes with what you are saying?

I'm still wondering why it crashes with the 68040.library though, hopefully one I set the jumpers to ext then that'll be the end if that!

Marc

There are several versions of 68040 Library. Run snoopdos in the background to catch the reason why. Also, be sure the Ram Speed Jumpers are set to the right speed of ram fitted to the card. Sounding like you have a 40Mhz 040, you really should have 60ns Simms fitted to get the best from the card.

Kin

@MarcB

I've got a Warp Engine fitted to my 4000D but no Deneb.

Installation went smoothly on mine and has run without problems for about the last six months. (I'm going to regret saying that now:banghead:)!!

I'll have a look tonight at the sim speeds and crystals on mine to compare with yours.

Dave G 8)

Update for MarcB

My WE has two crystals x1 = 40 and x2 = 50
JP2 = All off except HJKL the last four are on
4 matching sims not sure of speed but somebody on here will tell you what these are - LG19907 E71042 GMM732811OCS-6 9081NA I think these are 60s
Sysinfo says the following
CPU/MHZ 68040 44.40
FPU 68040 + 68882
MMU 68040 (in use)
Drystones 28656
Mips 29.91
Mflops 7.58

Hope that is of some help (y)

Dave G 8)

@davideo

Thanks for going to the trouble of checking yours for me, much appreciated!

I have my jumpers set up as yours, I have 128mb made up of 4x32mb 50ns simms..

@thread

Well... I've changed the jumpers to ext, and reinstated the 68040.library once the machine had booted and ran sysinfo..

my results:

FPU 68040 + 68882
MMU 68040 (IN USE)
28840 Drystones
30.10 Mips
7.64 Flops

Success! I thought to myself...

I then re-booted and it crashed again, curiously after rebooting and going through the guru screen it booted fine...

Tried again for luck and same thing again... crashes first time then boots fine after guru...

Ahhh... the life of an Amigan, never boring! :LOL:

@MarcB

I may have missed this in the thread :oops: but what Roms and OS have you got installed?

What is the version of your 68040.library?

I'll check it against my version when I get home tonight.

Dave G 8)

Hi,

I have 3.1 roms and running 3.1 os...

Setpatch version is 40.16...

If I boot without setpatch it boots but with no AGA...

Just to top things off, I've just got a checksum error on the boot volume...

Sigh...

**UPDATE**

I've reformatted the drive, restored the backup, replaced Setpatch with v39.6 and now everything works!!! WooHoo!

Just out of interest though, which version of Setpatch are you running?

Last edited:
@MarcB

I'm not sure what version of setpatch I've got but I'll check tonight.

I'm running 3.1 Roms with OS3.9 and BB1+BB2 in a Kickflash :-D

Dave G 8)

@ Marcb

You could have fixed the hard drives bitmap with something like Quarterback Tools or such. If this kind of thing happens to you again, pull a CLI up & do an info command or run Sysconfig. If there is something wrong with any of your drive partitions, it will say Validating. Files can sometimes become so corrupted, it's always better off replacing the entire structure of the Partition with a backup or else do a fresh install.
Incidently, it's always better to do a Full Format than a Quick one. Quick ones are only possible on an already AmigaDOS formatted partition, but for doing this, fragmentation is worse for it. Full Formats will allow a better Bitmap image to be created too.

RE: SetPatch, you really should be running the latest one available for the OS version installed.

Glad your sorted all the same & well done. (y)

Kin

@Davideo: indeed those SIMM are 60ns and are 16 or 32Mb in size.

I don't know what the "L" jumper do, but the others are the SCSI controller settings.

@rkauer

Thanks I thought they were 60s. And they're 32MB :-D

@MarcB

68040.library is version 37.10

Setpatch is version 44.38

Dave G 8)

Setpatch 44.38 is from OS3.5 or 3.9. It will not work on 3.1 Workbench, be warned.

LOL rkauer :jester:

He's using OS3.9.....

@ davideo

....if it ain't broke m8, don't fix it. :pint:

& again @ Marcb

Be sure to use the latest SetPatch available for OS3.1 & if you're running anything over an 040 Processor, you'll need the exact .librarys for 060 as hosted by A1k.org

It's all a bit different for OS3.5 & slightly enhanced under OS3.9 :-D

Kin

LOL rkauer :jester:

He's using OS3.9.....

Kin

At least two of us are awake :jester:

I haven't got a problem with my WE I was just trying to help MarcB with his setup :thumbsup2:

Dave G :cool:

Back
Top Bottom